Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

So, ESPNU has a replay of the game on, so I decided to chart the lone scoring drive that the Utes had, and here are the results:

Started on our own 20:

Run: Moss, 4 Yards
    Run: Moss, 5 Yards
    Pass: Haller, 4 Yards (Same one that was dropped on the 4th down play later in the game)
    Run: Moss, 11 Yards
    Run: Moss, 4 Yards (Moss injured on the play)
    Pass: Fotheringham, 5 Yards
    Run: Shyne, 5 yards
    Pass: Nacua, 5 Yards
    Pass: Boyd, Dropped
    Pass: Scramble by Huntley, 28 Yards
    Run: Moss (option pitch), 7 yards
    Run: Moss (Left side), 4 Yards, TD.

Drive Summary: 12 Plays, 85 Yards, Moss 4 Yard TD Run

Run: 7
    Pass: 4
    Scramble/Broken play: 1

6 of Moss' 13 carries came on this drive, but only one went for more than 10 yards.
    Huntley was 3 of 4 with the lone incomplete pass being a drop.

My three takeaways here:

1. Offense needs to be balanced. 7 rushes and 5 passes with one being a scramble by Huntley I think would qualify. I suspect that if I charted the rest of the game (which I probably will do), you'd see a lot of imbalance in the offensive drives.
    2. We don't need to be designing runs for Huntley, we've got plenty of guys to run the ball, but he should have the green light to run when he's got green grass in front of him.
    3. That nearly half of Moss' carries came on this drive shows the exact problem the offense has that caused us to lose this game...or at least one of the problems.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Great analysis. Thank you.

per twitter/radio sounds like there is a little shakeup in Utah's coaching staff offensively. Harding to be more involved in play calling.

wasn't Taylor's contract a 2 year deal .... hmmm

https://twitter.com/UteBeliever/status/1042403587316342785

Last edited by Scorcho; 09-19-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    per twitter/radio sounds like there is a little shakeup in Utah's coaching staff offensively. Harding to be more involved in play calling.

wasn't Taylor's contract a 2 year deal .... hmmm

https://twitter.com/UteBeliever/status/1042403587316342785

Here we go again!!!!!!!

Awesome analysis DrumNFeather.

the other thing that Drum's analysis shows: Huntley's longest pass completion was five yards. Other teams know he cant/wont throw down the field and are teeing off on the short passing routes, esp. to Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    the other thing that Drum's analysis shows: Huntley's longest pass completion was five yards. Other teams know he cant/wont throw down the field and are teeing off on the short passing routes, esp. to Covey.
    Which was Tony Jones first point, he believes Huntley is limiting Taylor’s play calling, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So, ESPNU has a replay of the game on, so I decided to chart the lone scoring drive that the Utes had, and here are the results:

Started on our own 20:

Run: Moss, 4 Yards
    Run: Moss, 5 Yards
    Pass: Haller, 4 Yards (Same one that was dropped on the 4th down play later in the game)
    Run: Moss, 11 Yards
    Run: Moss, 4 Yards (Moss injured on the play)
    Pass: Fotheringham, 5 Yards
    Run: Shyne, 5 yards
    Pass: Nacua, 5 Yards
    Pass: Boyd, Dropped
    Pass: Scramble by Huntley, 28 Yards
    Run: Moss (option pitch), 7 yards
    Run: Moss (Left side), 4 Yards, TD.

Drive Summary: 12 Plays, 85 Yards, Moss 4 Yard TD Run

Run: 7
    Pass: 4
    Scramble/Broken play: 1

6 of Moss' 13 carries came on this drive, but only one went for more than 10 yards.
    Huntley was 3 of 4 with the lone incomplete pass being a drop.

My three takeaways here:

1. Offense needs to be balanced. 7 rushes and 5 passes with one being a scramble by Huntley I think would qualify. I suspect that if I charted the rest of the game (which I probably will do), you'd see a lot of imbalance in the offensive drives.
    2. We don't need to be designing runs for Huntley, we've got plenty of guys to run the ball, but he should have the green light to run when he's got green grass in front of him.
    3. That nearly half of Moss' carries came on this drive shows the exact problem the offense has that caused us to lose this game...or at least one of the problems.
    Very interesting. It seemed like after the injury, Moss would only get one carry per possession, all of which seemed to be for positive yards. Hopefully he heals quickly.

Some great breakdowns by Hans.

Drum's analysis also shows that Taylor knows how to call run plays. Taylor just chooses not to do it. I have not done the analysis, but my recollection is that the sole U TD against No. Ill. had a lot of Moss.

If the twitter rumors of Harding becoming more involved in play calling are true, my opinion is that it might be a positive for the short term, but it will be a negative for the long-term. It is simply back to the future. Many, including Whit, were not happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Drum's analysis also shows that Taylor knows how to call run plays. Taylor just chooses not to do it. I have not done the analysis, but my recollection is that the sole U TD against No. Ill. had a lot of Moss.

If the twitter rumors of Harding becoming more involved in play calling are true, my opinion is that it might be a positive for the short term, but it will be a negative for the long-term. It is simply back to the future. Many, including Whit, were not happy with that.
    it sounds like Whitt told PK that he wants the run vs. pass attempts that we watched against UW flip-flopped, which is why Harding is getting more involved in play calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    it sounds like Whitt told PK that he wants the run vs. pass attempts that we watched against UW flip-flopped, which is why Harding is getting more involved in play calling.
    I'm sure he wants the run vs pass attempts to be reversed. I do too. I think doing so will help the team. I don't think having Harding more involved is a positive step forward. This has nothing to do with Harding and more to do with allowing an OC to do his job. If Whit wants a different run/pass ratio, tell Taylor to do it and make him accountable to you for doing it. Don't put it on Harding.

If Whit wants a different run/pass ratio, tell Taylor to do it and make him accountable to you for doing it. Don't put it on Harding.
    I agree 100%. This just seems to undermine Taylor.

I'm sure he wants the run vs pass attempts to be reversed. I do too. I think doing so will help the team. I don't think having Harding more involved is a positive step forward. This has nothing to do with Harding and more to do with allowing an OC to do his job. If Whit wants a different run/pass ratio, tell Taylor to do it and make him accountable to you for doing it. Don't put it on Harding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Is it possible that he's just playing to strengths here? I admit that is a very rose colored view of this whole thing...but he spoke pretty openly about personnel groupings, etc...which makes me wonder if Taylor is just way too focused on trying to jumpstart the throw game, that it hampers the run game because Moss isn't on the field, etc...

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Is it possible that he's just playing to strengths here? I admit that is a very rose colored view of this whole thing...but he spoke pretty openly about personnel groupings, etc...which makes me wonder if Taylor is just way too focused on trying to jumpstart the throw game, that it hampers the run game because Moss isn't on the field, etc...
    If true, Taylor is not qualified to be OC.

If true, Taylor is not qualified to be OC.
    Alright alright alright, fine...I'll stick to charting the offensive drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    We all need to remember what we’ve been told dozens of times: Whitt just does not get involved in the offense. 😉

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We all need to remember what we’ve been told dozens of times: Whitt just does not get involved in the offense. 
    I don't care how this all plays out so long as we move the ball, score points and win games. I have nothing vested in Taylor succeeding (I thought it was an out-of-the-box hire in some respects, which I applauded, but never considered Taylor a can't-fail/savior of the offense). But if what's being said is true, I think Kyle's lost permission to hire his next OC. He keeps trying to use guys he can influence, rather than going with proven minds. Our best offensive coaches have been Erickson, Chow and Christensen. All wildly successful before coming to Utah. Kyle needs to hire another coach with that kind of background.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 09-20-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I don't care how this all plays out so long as we move the ball, score points and win games. I have nothing vested in Taylor succeeding (I thought it was an out-of-the-box hire in some respects, which I applauded, but never considered Taylor a can't-fail/savior of the offense). But if what's being said is true, I think Kyle's lost permission to hire his next OC. He keeps trying to use guys he can influence, rather than going with proven minds. Our best offensive coaches have been Erickson, Chow and Christensen. All wildly successful before coming to Utah. Kyle needs to hire another coach with that kind of background.
    Socal,
    If it doesn't work with Taylor, it almost feels like Kyle will have to go get a proven mind. Where's Mike McCoy these days? Kidding, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Socal,
    If it doesn't work with Taylor, it almost feels like Kyle will have to go get a proven mind. Where's Mike McCoy these days? Kidding, mostly.
    McCoy is Arizona's OC. It's worth noting that the Cardinals' offense makes ours look like the Patriots -- six points in two games and haven't reached the end zone.

Bring back BJ!!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Bring back BJ!!
    Maybe Dave Christensen has taken some anger management classes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Maybe Dave Christensen has taken some anger management classes.
    It should be noted Travis' best year statistically was 2014, the year DC was here. And that was in spite of losing Dres Anderson at midseason.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It should be noted Travis' best year statistically was 2014, the year DC was here. And that was in spite of losing Dres Anderson at midseason.
    DC’s personality issues aside, I’ll always remember the final drive he called in the USC game that fall. It was a thing of beauty.

--Yeats

Memories are funny things. The only thing I remember about the dave Christensen year is lots of futility against defenses that weren't known for stopping folks.

A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Memories are funny things. The only thing I remember about the dave Christensen year is lots of futility against defenses that weren't known for stopping folks.
    Yes, but for that one brief shining moment he was perfect.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-23-2018 at 08:05 AM.

--Yeats