Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitching it on the Palouse - Utah @ WSU

Pitching it on the Palouse - Utah @ WSU

The bye week is in the rear view mirror and thus begins Utah's run of 8 straight league games before the rivalry game in November. This is the second consecutive game against a team from Washington, and a team that went toe to toe against USC, but ultimately lost. Two losses in league play for either team will put them well behind the 8 ball, but nothing is decided in Week 4, no matter what folks might tell you.

At QB, you have the #3 player in the nation in passing yards going up against #77 for Utah.

Zach Moss is currently #65 in rushing yards in NCAA, at 283, averaging 6.3 yards per carry with 3 TDs. For some context, the guy just ahead of him has 82 carries...imagine if Moss had 82 carries at this point in the season...now granted that player has played 4 games, but you're talking about an average of 20 carries per game. It's evident at least in part what needs to be done.

At WR, we all know the drill, Covey is leading the way for us, but he also walked around with ice all over him after last week's game, so we've got to find a way to 1) Protect him better and 2) Have some other guys step up. Only two of our WRs have double digit catches this season (Covey: 23, Nacua 10), and nobody has over 100 yards besides Covey, who has 262. That's...not great.

Our defense will certainly have a challenge with the Air raid offense, but we get Blair back for the game and Fotu will return in the second half.

So, we know we need to get Moss the ball more, but defenses are going to key on him and make Huntley beat them...so what else can we do to stop the 3 game losing streak to Wazzu?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I watched the USC/WSU game, and USC did a lot of their damage through big pass plays. Not sure that can work for us, but we should at least try it out a few times per half.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I watched the USC/WSU game, and USC did a lot of their damage through big pass plays. Not sure that can work for us, but we should at least try it out a few times per half.

All we need is a qb who can throw like Daniels and receivers who can go up and get the ball or position the defender into pass interference.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    All we need is a qb who can throw like Daniels and receivers who can go up and get the ball or position the defender into pass interference.
    Yeah, I'm saying I'll take the poor man's version of what USC did downfield. Just a few 15+ yard completions.

I looked at the box score from the Wazzu game last year. We had 7 freaking turnovers.

Sadly the Utes are well below average at doing that.

I need SoCalPat to tell me what the bettors know. The line for this game has moved from WSU -2 to Utah -1. Maybe that Gustin hit left a mark on Menshew’s brain. Maybe Whit is getting too much credit for his “coming off a bye” rep. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I need SoCalPat to tell me what the bettors know. The line for this game has moved from WSU -2 to Utah -1. Maybe that Gustin hit left a mark on Menshew’s brain. Maybe Whit is getting too much credit for his “coming off a bye” rep. Who knows.

Utah by 1? On the road? With our offense? Seems like there must be something going on up there...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Wish I knew. Haven't chatted at all about this game. But if I'm putting on my handicapping hat, I'm looking at Utah's defense as the difference maker in this game, and that Wazzu nearly beating USC isn't that impressive when you consider USC is 85th in total defense and 89th in rush defense. Also, the money (51 percent on Utah) and ticket count (60 percent Wazzu) suggests a good balance. My guess is someone who the books respect mightily has placed a huge wager on Utah.

9 runs, 1 pass. 7-0.

9 runs, 1 pass. 7-0.
    16 runs, 2 passes. 14-7.

It's noticeable that WSU's defense is not UW's defense.

I breathe a sigh of relief every time WSU tries to run the ball. They are just torching our defense. Converted two 3rd and longs on that drive too.

Minshew is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Minshew is great.
    All Leach QBs are the same, and they all wreck us.

All Leach QBs are the same, and they all wreck us.
    They run Leach’s system. He doesn’t care that we know what he is going to do, he just brings it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Nice to see WSU punting. Go Utes!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

WSU with 37 pass attempts in the first half. Ugh.

This game, like all Utah games, will come down to the defense.

Why throw on 1st there? Why? Forced us to throw on 2nd and 3rd as well.

Offense is sputtering at the wrong time. Why do we go away from moss in the second half of every game?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Offense is sputtering at the wrong time. Why do we go away from moss in the second half of every game?
    It's like we learned nothing from the first half. Or we just insist on always putting everything on the D.

Why is Whitt never in any of those PAC 12 advertisements? Did he go to the bathroom when they were filing them at media days?

That ref just really wanted that to be a block in the back. Saw it almost happen, and he couldn't help himself.

That was a pretty weak hold call for such a critical point in the game.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    That was a pretty weak hold call for such a critical point in the game.
    Holding is so frustrating. Crap happens all game long, and then that is the one that gets called.

Well, I’m not angry and didn’t see most of the game (had to listen on an airplane flight). I do think it’s fair to be very unhappy about this team’s lack of
    poise in crunch time. Which assistant coach do we blame that on?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-29-2018 at 08:04 PM.

--Yeats

Holding is so frustrating. Crap happens all game long, and then that is the one that gets called.
    Agreed. Pretty tick-tacky calls for an otherwise great game.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Well, I’m not angry and didn’t see
    most of the game (had to listen on an airplane flight). I do think it’s fair to be very unhappy about this team’s lack of
    poise in crunch time. Which assistant coach do we blame that on?
    You better just blame it on the head coach. He's the common denominator.

We converted on 4th and 5 and on 4th and 10. That was actually really impressive and showed a good deal of poise. But 4th and 20 was asking too much.

The block in the back and the hold were both pretty bad. But giving up that TD was the worst single play by anyone this season. Man, was that bad.

I wish we'd done a little more Moss and Shyne on a few of those 3rd quarter drives.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-29-2018 at 07:44 PM.

giving up that TD was the worst single play by anyone this season
    This is true, but the loss is still on the offense. We had 5 chances to make it a 2 score game, and we blew it.

This is true, but the loss is still on the offense. We had 5 chances to make it a 2 score game, and we blew it.
    Ugh.
    This is a difficult team to like.