Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitching it on the Palouse - Utah @ WSU

Satire. Pretty well done. Laughter is the best medicine.

Utah coaching staff already working on game plan for how they’ll disappoint Ute fans next

https://thedailyfrick.com/utah-coach...ute-fans-next/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

There was a graph on TV that said 10 of 13 of Utah's losses were by 8 points or less. We joked it should have been titled, "Why it is no fun being a Utah fan."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I be disappointed and encouraged at the same time? I know some Utah fans believe that the Utes have better talent than Wazzu and should, therefore, win that game going away. I am not one of them. Do we have equivalent talent? Sure. When teams are pretty equally matched, it will always come down to a few plays.

Wazzu scored on 2 long TD passes.
    Utah picked Wazzu in the redzone.
    Huntley made a nice long run for a TD and completed a long pass to Dixon.
    Huntley missed on a long pass to Nacua.
    Simpkins missed a wide open TD that resulted in a FG instead of a TD.
    Block in the back on the Covey punt return.
    Penalties on two successful 4th down plays that ended any chance of a winning TD.

We had opportunities to win but did not. That's disappointing. Every phase had the opportunity to win the game but did not. That's disappointing. The players played hard and had the opportunity to win. That's encouraging.

I am more disappointed than encouraged.
    We have a returning OC, qb, all-conference rb and backup, and o-line.

The reason I am disappointed is we just don't have a serviceable passing attack yet again. I am convinced that we won't as long as Huntley is the qb. He isn't accurate enough and not good enough at reading the field to make defenses pay when they cheat on the run and the RPO, and spy Huntley. And our receivers aren't good enough to make a great play. They don't really get open and they cant take the ball away from the defender.

I will reiterate what I said a couple of weeks ago: KW will give TT another year, because he isn't going to hire yet another coordinator after this year. That would be admitting a huge mistake in hiring TT. Maybe Harding will have a greater role. If the offense isn't corrected by next year, KW will retire. Next year is a very favorable schedule and if we cant win then we never will. (I said the same thing two years ago. The stars were aligned then and we couldn't take advantage.)

Harlan is going to want to put his stamp on the program. He will hire an offensive coach who can develop an offensive identity that includes a competent passing attack. I don't think a new AD will let this continue year after year.

My crystal ball $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

The reason I am disappointed is we just don't have a serviceable passing attack yet again. I am convinced that we won't as long as Huntley is the qb. He isn't accurate enough and not good enough at reading the field to make defenses pay when they cheat on the run and the RPO, and spy Huntley. And our receivers aren't good enough to make a great play. They don't really get open and they cant take the ball away from the defender.

I will reiterate what I said a couple of weeks ago: KW will give TT another year, because he isn't going to hire yet another coordinator after this year. That would be admitting a huge mistake in hiring TT. Maybe Harding will have a greater role. If the offense isn't corrected by next year, KW will retire. Next year is a very favorable schedule and if we cant win then we never will. (I said the same thing two years ago. The stars were aligned then and we couldn't take advantage.)

Harlan is going to want to put his stamp on the program. He will hire an offensive coach who can develop an offensive identity that includes a competent passing attack. I don't think a new AD will let this continue year after year.

My crystal ball $.02.
    Here's an interesting contrast in a coach's response to a tough loss:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24840275

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

We get it: you don't like Kyle.

I like his response. I also liked the clips of what Kyle said publicly. If you don't believe that Kyle has the same demeanor and intensity of the Penn State coach when talking with his players and coaches, I can tell you that you are wrong.

Diehard Ute--you have a private message that is time sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    We get it: you don't like Kyle.
    I like him a lot. Don’t have much faith in him as a head coach.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

My crystal ball $.02.
    That's an interesting take. I've never been sold on Troy Taylor. I don't know if the thought of keeping him around for an extra year just to appease the peanut gallery sits well with me. But I do recognize that the turn-over at the position has not been great.

I was struck in this game by Huntley's inability to make the correct read in the RPO/option game. He was really bad when the read-option was called. There was one late game situation (it was like 3rd and 2) and everyone was keyed on Moss and it was obvious that Huntley had a huge running lane if he had taken it, but instead he handed to Moss for no gain. We are such a bad short yardage team; we work hard to get third a short, but then we have little ability to do something with 3rd and short. So frustrating.

Whether in football or basketball, LAUte has not liked (as a coach) every coach we’ve ever had except Urban, who only stayed for two years.

This is LAUte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I like him a lot. Don’t have much faith in him as a head coach.
    Haha. Who do you have faith in as a head coach? Franklin from Penn State (terrible coach from everything I've heard)? Scott Frost? Chip Kelly? Those guys really know offensive football!!!

It's a fickle business, coaching teenagers for a living. The majority of dispassionate commentators typically have great things to say about the job that Kyle has done. But by all means continue to press for Utah football's firing of the guy who guided us to the national championship in 2008 (the ncaa's words, not mine).

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Whether in football or basketball, LAUte has not liked (as a coach) every coach we’ve ever had except Urban, who only stayed for two years.
    You’re too young to have memory loss. Stop, before you embarrass yourself further! I say this with love in my heart.

--Yeats

Pitching it on the Palouse - Utah @ WSU

Haha. Who do you have faith in as a head coach? Franklin from Penn State (terrible coach from everything I've heard)? Scott Frost? Chip Kelly? Those guys really know offensive football!!!

It's a fickle business, coaching teenagers for a living. The majority of dispassionate commentators typically have great things to say about the job that Kyle has done. But by all means continue to press for Utah football's firing of the guy who guided us to the national championship in 2008 (the ncaa's words, not mine).
    Just an opinion, and not nearly such a minority view as you seem to think.

Unlike you and SU, I don’t think we need to be not just content, but very happy with annual 7 or 8-win seasons and wins in marginal bowl games, and an annually embarrassing offensive performance at the bottom of our conference, along with regular head-scratcher losses in big games. If you guys like that, fine. I’d rather have something more. I’m sorry it upsets you both so much that people like me have a different view.

I hope Kyle stays until he retires, and I won’t be sad if that day comes sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-30-2018 at 05:49 PM.

--Yeats

This is the scary thing. Group think is strong, especially when it's bad.

We just lost to WSU. Most people think they got incredibly lucky to land Mike Leach. Mike Leach! That's the best Wazzu will ever do. He'll never win anything there. He might finish ranked a few times. And when he leaves, Wazzu will go right back to the bottom of their division. Arizona and Arizona State - locked forever in 3-5 year cycles of firing coaches. It's been, what, 40 years for those two programs? They have, what, one Jake Plummer between their combined history?

I will take what Utah is over what Utah should be. There's nothing about our geography or reputation or recruiting base that would make anyone think we should be anything more than Wazzu or Arizona. The fact that we have done much more than either of those schools - including a national championship - is a fact I would like fewer people to discard.

Enjoy things now because the post-Whittingham Utes are going to test our fanbase to its limits. This is why stadium expansion is so dicey. We won't be filling those seats when we are the Oregon State of the south division.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Enjoy things now because the post-Whittingham Utes are going to test our fanbase to its limits. This is why stadium expansion is so dicey. We won't be filling those seats when we are the Oregon State of the south division.
    OK.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-30-2018 at 04:08 PM.

--Yeats

Kragthorpe, today:

So now what happens? ESPN’s Football Power Index projects 6.7 wins for Utah (2-2), good enough for bowl eligibility. The Utes remain contenders for the South title — once they stop facing the North, anyway. Saturday’s game at No. 14 Stanford is their third straight crossover game to begin the conference schedule. An 0-3 start would be tough to overcome, although not impossible in the landscape of the South.

The bigger picture of the program is more discouraging. The Utes have lost eight of their past 10 conference games. Going back to October 2016, when they were ranked No. 17 and targeting a Rose Bowl bid, they’re 4-11 in Pac-12 play. That’s not a good trend for Whittingham, now in his 14th season.
    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...w-this-season/

--Yeats

I love KW. He's been the architect of some magical Utah moments.
    But to suggest that Utah could never do any better is backward-looking.

There aren't very many P-5 head-coaching jobs out there and only a handful are open in any given year.
    Thousands of coaches hope to land one of those P-5 head-coaching jobs someday.

The idea that Salt Lake City has all of these intrinsic disadvantages that can't be overcome is a non-starter too.
    SLC is a much nicer place to live than Tuscaloosca by almost any metric out there.
    Los Angeles California has every advantage you could imagine, but geography isn't necessarily destiny in College Football (I"m thinking UCLA here).

Kyle has a lot of leash, and I hope he ends his coaching career as a Ute, and on his terms.
    But, when he does hang 'em up, the Utes will have a chance to land top-shelf coaching - if the paycheck is right - and to create a top-shelf program.
    They will also have the chance to botch it horribly too.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Utes are a middle of the conference team. We don’t have the image of USC or Oregon & will never have a coach as good as Chris Petersen. We just can’t get good enough athletes—only 1 5 star to my memory whereas others can load up on that level.
    So we plug along at 8-9 wins & a middle level bowl win.

We can’t land another Urban—unless we get incredibly lucky twice.

I hope Tuttle gets a chance during the run of home games, so we can dream he is the answer. LOL.

the good news is basketball season is approaching & we actually have decent young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    the good news is basketball season is approaching & we actually have decent young talent.
    True. It’ll be fun to watch them.

BTW, Kyle’s not going anywhere until after 2021, and if he does retire at Utah his deal is pretty sweet:

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...09&itype=CMSID

--Yeats

Unlike you and SU, I don’t think we need to be not just content, but very happy with annual 7 or 8-win seasons and wins in marginal bowl games, and an annually embarrassing offensive performance at the bottom of our conference, along with regular head-scratcher losses in big games. If you guys like that, fine. I’d rather have something more. I’m sorry it upsets you both so much that people like me have a different view.

I hope Kyle stays until he retires, and I won’t be sad if that day comes sooner rather than later.
    I'm sorry, but people that have that view DO make me upset.

First of all, the 7-8 season win complaint is stupid because (a) it's not true and (b) even if it were true, it's a dumb complaint. A. Over the last 4 seasons we have had one seven win season, two nine win seasons, and a ten win season. So don't tell me that Kyle has plateaued at 7-8 win seasons. Second of all, even if he had, that is incredible for Utah given our history.

Second is the offense-is-terrible argument. Nothing says "I'm a Cougar" like complaining about offensive stats while you are winning 10 games in the PAC 12. What a BYU complaint: we don't throw deep enough@! Plus, this one is also not true! Utah is not "at the bottom of the conference annually" in offense. Without looking, the past two years I think they have been sixth or seventh in total offense; not great, but very average. Given or perennially good defenses, that is enough to compete and on years when we are fourth or so we can do great things. If you really replace Whit, you do not get the perennially excellent defenses. Actually, I am not sure this is a Cougar argument; I think it is a pro-Jim Fassell argument.

And lastly, the big letdown argument. Yes we lose headscratchers every year, but who doesn't. Washington lost to ASU last year; USC always craps the bed against someone. The only team that doesn't seem to lose headscratchers every year is Stanford; they just lose to Utah.

Look, if you want a new coach, that's great. Bring in some offensive guru that is going to get us up to fourth in the conference on offense, and near the bottom in defense. I can't stop you. But just don't make this stupid arguments that sound like the ravings of 12-year old BYU fans. Your Ute fan experience is not showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I love KW. He's been the architect of some magical Utah moments.
    But to suggest that Utah could never do any better is backward-looking.

They will also have the chance to botch it horribly too.
    Yeah, maybe I'm too pessimistic about our chances with a new coach. It's just that I've seen this movie so many times before with so many other P5 programs. Clemson won a lottery with Dabo, and everyone else lost their lottery and will buy another ticket soon.

It's a tough spot for us. We would still be a stepping stone program for up-and-coming offensive gurus. Even if we do get lucky, it's just temporary. If PJ Fleck turns Minnesota into something special, he'll be gone, and Minnesota will go back to being Minnesota.

There are enough "botch it horribly" scenarios that I feel pretty good about our current state.

Some talk about retirement lately. If KW retires, we do the best we can. But ideally, he coaches for a good long while - long enough that his coaching tree includes some good people who would love to return and take his place.

I'm sorry, but people that have that view DO make me upset.

Look, if you want a new coach, that's great. Bring in some offensive guru that is going to get us up to fourth in the conference on offense, and near the bottom in defense. I can't stop you. But just don't make this stupid arguments that sound like the ravings of 12-year old BYU fans. Your Ute fan experience is not showing.
    Sadly, my son, my Ute fan experience is why I feel the way I do. Lots of people who are a lot older than 12 years, donate lots of money, and have been following the program for decades feel the same way. We have the right to be frustrated with the program and to say so. It doesn’t mean we want a new coach. It means we don’t see any reason to believe things will get better and that depresses us. So what? As I’ve said 100 times here, I hope KW stays until he retires. I’ll keep donating (to both football and basketball), going to the games, and supporting both programs. But I’m going to be vocally upset if we keep falling short year after year — even when we have good won-loss records — and if we remain the only program in our division that hasn’t yet won a division title. I can’t help it if that upsets you.

--Yeats

That two teams who beat us have close (and late) losses to a solid Auburn team and to a strong USC team.

Everybody calling for Whittingham to get fired deserve to have a few 3-9 or 0-12 seasons after a coaching change. UW wasn't immune to those years despite having EVERY possible advantage over Utah. WSU had went to the Rose Bowl twice in 3 years, only to positively shit the bed every single year for over a decade after a coaching change.

I guaran-damn-tee Utah going 3-9 after a coaching change is far more likely than going 9-3.

I didn't listen to the post game show on 700. What did Kyle et al. say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Epiphany: Utah football needs an El Stinko season. Or to start over again from scratch.

Or, Kyle and the players need to flip the switch and do something unexpected and glorious. Short of winning the South, there's nothing left this year that would achieve that result.

The program needs a reset. I don't care how it happens. It came come from a change in leadership or a mold-breaking season. But Utah football just isn't all that exciting anymore. We rarely win big games, and we have a pretty good idea of what to expect going into every game. I wasn't even mad after Wazzu. I just shrugged my shoulders and went about my day. It helps that I work Saturdays, and I've got plenty to take my mind off Utah's results -- win or lose. I'm also cognizant enough to realize that previous sentence doesn't apply to 90 percent of you -- and even after you get over it, you've got media, friends, church, etc. to remind you of it all over again. I don't.

There is a lot that can be said about Kyle's tenure at Utah. But the positives work against him. Consistency only matters if you're at the very top, year after year. When you're consistently a middling team in the Pac-12, should you really get any credit for that? In 2011, we went 7-5 in our first year in the league, in a year in which USC was on probation and the South was as weak as it's ever been. Seven years later, we're looking at the same/similar result. If that doesn't tell you Utah Football is spinning its wheels, then you're no different than the McBride apologists that were out in force after we fired him.

They were wrong then, and they're wrong now. I'm not going to say Kyle deserves to be fired, but I know we can do better than him. I also know we can do worse than him, but right now, Utah football would be more compelling by being horrible. It beats the hell out of underachieving and missing out on opportunity after opportunity to do something of significance.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 10-01-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Epiphany: Utah football needs an El Stinko season. Or to start over again from scratch.

Or, Kyle and the players need to flip the switch and do something unexpected and glorious. Short of winning the South, there's nothing left this year that would achieve that result.

The program needs a reset. I don't care how it happens. It came come from a change in leadership or a mold-breaking season. But Utah football just isn't all that exciting anymore. We rarely win big games, and we have a pretty good idea of what to expect going into every game. I wasn't even mad after Wazzu. I just shrugged my shoulders and went about my day. It helps that I work Saturdays, and I've got plenty to take my mind off Utah's results -- win or lose. I'm also cognizant enough to realize that previous sentence doesn't apply to 90 percent of you -- and even after you get over it, you've got media, friends, church, etc. to remind you of it all over again. I don't.

There is a lot that can be said about Kyle's tenure at Utah. But the positives work against him. Consistency only matters if you're at the very top, year after year. When you're consistently a middling team in the Pac-12, should you really get any credit for that? In 2011, we went 7-5 in our first year in the league, in a year in which USC was on probation and the South was as weak as it's ever been. Seven years later, we're looking at the same/similar result. If that doesn't tell you Utah Football is spinning its wheels, then you're no different than the McBride apologists that were out in force after we fired him.

They were wrong then, and they're wrong now. I'm not going to say Kyle deserves to be fired, but I know we can do better than him. I also know we can do worse than him, but right now, Utah football would be more compelling by being horrible. It beats the hell out of underachieving and missing out on opportunity after opportunity to do something of significance.
    Heretical, but well stated. I agree.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I also know we can do worse than him, but right now, Utah football would be more compelling by being horrible. It beats the hell out of underachieving and missing out on opportunity after opportunity to do something of significance.
    Crazy talk right there. More compelling by being horrible? Being a Bills fan has messed you up

If you are going to blow up a coaching staff that has consistently achieved winning seasons, you better do so with a plan. At the very least, you better have 2 or 3 candidates in mind that will be better or at least as good.

Remember when Nebraska fired Frank Solich after a 9-4 season? And what has Nebraska done since? They hired a big name coach in Callahan, who failed miserably. They brought in a legacy coach in Riley, and he failed. Now they brought in a legacy name who is an up-and-comer, and they are having an historically bad start to their season.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Crazy talk right there. More compelling by being horrible?
    Yup, this makes no sense at all.

Heretical
    Are you developing a persecution complex on this?

There's nothing heretical about wanting a new coach. It's a classic, orthodox football fan way to think.