Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Larry Scott Thread

The Larry Scott Thread

It's time for a change. P12 Nets are still a million miles from being on DTV, and now Larry is waffling on the Gustin hit vs. the Wazzu QB. Instead of saying his original .02 was horribly misguided and ignorant, he's saying he was "misinterpreted."

Short of a Gustin suspension, Larry and the P12 office are the only ones doing any misinterpreting. Michael Scott doesn't even pretend to be a commissioner -- under oath, he recently said that's a bit of a misnomer. Media executive is what he really is. Which of course, means he's got it good for the LA schools.

Passing off the Gustin hit as a perfectly legal play is inexcusable. He's clearly not for the athlete's physical welfare. He needs to resign, but I'd be perfectly happy if the school presidents showed some backbone and fired his ass instead.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's time for a change. P12 Nets are still a million miles from being on DTV, and now Larry is waffling on the Gustin hit vs. the Wazzu QB. Instead of saying his original .02 was horribly misguided and ignorant, he's saying he was "misinterpreted."

Short of a Gustin suspension, Larry and the P12 office are the only ones doing any misinterpreting. Michael Scott doesn't even pretend to be a commissioner -- under oath, he recently said that's a bit of a misnomer. Media executive is what he really is. Which of course, means he's got it good for the LA schools.

Passing off the Gustin hit as a perfectly legal play is inexcusable. He's clearly not for the athlete's physical welfare. He needs to resign, but I'd be perfectly happy if the school presidents showed some backbone and fired his ass instead.
    I agree. I'm glad he was there when the decision to expand happened, but the PAC-12 is spinning its wheels now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

More and more dreadful news about Pac-12 officiating from Yahoo ... People not qualified to make judgment calls on replay, are actually making judgment calls on replay!

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sport...040318946.html

Wilner's reaction to it all ...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/...ating-ka-boom/

Ute fans deserve to hear President Watkins' .02 on the state of Pac-12 leadership.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 10-11-2018 at 10:37 AM.

More and more dreadful news about Pac-12 officiating from Yahoo ... People not qualified to make judgment calls on replay, are actually making judgment calls on replay!

https://news.gallup.com/poll/235445/...y-divided.aspx

Ute fans deserve to hear President Watkins' .02 on the state of Pac-12 leadership.
    The first link is incorrect, it goes to an article on abortion. Here is the correct link: https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sport...040318946.html
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    The first link is incorrect, it goes to an article on abortion. Here is the correct link: https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sport...040318946.html
    Also fixed on my end to avoid any further embarrassment.

Larry has been terrible at managing the publicity around these incidents. It’s like he is afraid to admit that mistakes have been made. Sometimes it’s best to admit mistakes, and commit to learn from them and do better going forward.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sport...040318946.html

I've been in Larry Scott's corner for the most part, but how does this even happen? That is a horribly bad look for the conference!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...011-story.html
    Last edited by Scorcho; 10-11-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Sure calls into question the targeting calls in the Washington game. Based on the calls and no calls this year there seems to be different standards depending on a caste system. I hate to get into the conspiracy crowd and I'm not saying Washington should have been called for targeting but both of the calls in that game - on Blair and Fotu - were questionable. Just on technical merits there was helmet-to-helmet contact on the Blair hit but I didn't think there was intent to injure or use the helmet to make the tackle on the play. I'm still mystified by the Fotu call. I just don't see it - let alone the poor judgement by the official flagging it for unnecessary roughness.

The league needs to have a standard that applies equally to all teams. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. All fans may not agree with it but as long as the officials are fairly applying it the egregious mistakes will diminish.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Sure calls into question the targeting calls in the Washington game. Based on the calls and no calls this year there seems to be different standards depending on a caste system. I hate to get into the conspiracy crowd and I'm not saying Washington should have been called for targeting but both of the calls in that game - on Blair and Fotu - were questionable. Just on technical merits there was helmet-to-helmet contact on the Blair hit but I didn't think there was intent to injure or use the helmet to make the tackle on the play. I'm still mystified by the Fotu call. I just don't see it - let alone the poor judgement by the official flagging it for unnecessary roughness.

The league needs to have a standard that applies equally to all teams. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. All fans may not agree with it but as long as the officials are fairly applying it the egregious mistakes will diminish.
    I had the same initial thought about a caste system, but it's pretty impossible to argue that there's a caste system that favors WSU over USC. That's the most confusing part of all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I had the same initial thought about a caste system, but it's pretty impossible to argue that there's a caste system that favors WSU over USC. That's the most confusing part of all of this.
    Yeah, it seems odd that the player saved by this "third party" non-official is from the team with perhaps the smallest fan base (just guessing) and was against the QB for the most popular money-maker in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    the team with perhaps the smallest fan base (just guessing)
    Gotta be Oregon State, right?

Just makes you wonder how many of the bad booth reviews through the years had something like this involved.

Review is frustrating. It takes waaay too long, and they still get it wrong sometimes. Getting a call wrong live is forgiveable. Getting it wrong after a clear review should be a fireable offense.

You're right Scratch - the WSU situation seems to argue against my point. I'm hung up on a no call on Porter Gustin a few weeks back that I thought was a pretty obvious targeting. In our Washington game I wasn't necessarily the fans wanting the Huskies called for targeting (perhaps the last hit on Covey should have been called), I just questioned the calls on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    You're right Scratch - the WSU situation seems to argue against my point. I'm hung up on a no call on Porter Gustin a few weeks back that I thought was a pretty obvious targeting. In our Washington game I wasn't necessarily the fans wanting the Huskies called for targeting (perhaps the last hit on Covey should have been called), I just questioned the calls on us.
    The Gustin hit was in the same game as this review controversy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The Gustin hit was in the same game as this review controversy.

The WSU no call was in the third q; gustin in the fourth. People wondering if the interference in the 3rd q affected the no-call on Gustin.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    The WSU no call was in the third q; gustin in the fourth. People wondering if the interference in the 3rd q affected the no-call on Gustin.
    I think it's the only way you can justify the no-call on Gustin. It was tit-for-tat, and the booth chose to ignore it, knowing full well they owed USC one.

I think it's the only way you can justify the no-call on Gustin. It was tit-for-tat, and the booth chose to ignore it, knowing full well they owed USC one.
    Which just furthers the posts I’ve made in the last few weeks, the Pac-12 really doesn’t care about player safety.

I’m with everyone else. Larry Scott needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I’m with everyone else. Larry Scott needs to go.
    Yup, and obviously the guy in the booth.

Also, the ref who refused to stand up to the guy in the booth needs to go.

The Larry Scott Thread

The guy who interfered is the PAC-12’s general counsel and, interestingly, director of business affairs. Really? In both of those roles, his job is to protect the interests of the conference. Of course, being both an organization’s lawyer and its director of business affairs is an inherently conflicted position anyway. Bottom line: It is a scandal that he had anything to say about a referee‘s call on the playing field. I don’t know if he needs to go, but someone does. Otherwise, the conference‘s officiating will always be suspect. It will be suspect for a long time anyway, at least as long as Larry Scott is the head guy.

I think Larry‘s shelf life has expired.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

I think Larry‘s shelf life has expired.
    IIRC, Larry was hired to expand the conference and negotiate the TV deal, b/c of his media experience. Unless he is here to negotiate the next tv deal 5 years from now; I think you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    IIRC, Larry was hired to expand the conference and negotiate the TV deal, b/c of his media experience. Unless he is here to negotiate the next tv deal 5 years from now; I think you are right.
    And given it’s 2018 and the Pac-12 network has never functioned as promised, do we really want Larry Scott involved?

His media experience hasn’t resulted in much the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yup, and obviously the guy in the booth.

Also, the ref who refused to stand up to the guy in the booth needs to go.
    Disagree. He documented what was going on, and probably provided the source material for the Yahoo story that put this out in the open.

As fans, we should want the guy fired — but so he can be free to spill whatever beans there are about this kind of thing and how often it’s happened in the past. The league obviously doesn’t want that, so he’ll stay.

This conference needs new leadership. Larry Scott really needs to go.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...n_john_canzano

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    This conference needs new leadership. Larry Scott really needs to go.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...n_john_canzano
    That is a very good read and should be an interesting series of articles. I have wondered how valuable owning the rights to PAC12 games would actually be as most fans don’t rewatch games. It is not like a sitcom that goes into syndication and people watch over and over. Sports are a live event, once you know the outcome it loses 99% of its value in my mind.

I don’t see that anyone else has posted this yet. It’s a fascinating article, and I have no idea why this Dixon guy has still not been fired.

A look inside the beleaguered Pac-12 instant-replay command center, where Woodie Dixon is still a central figure

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...ficiating.html

--Yeats

Turns out that Larry Scott is just trying to live out the life of Michael Scott. This video is perfectly embarrassing.

https://youtu.be/JtB9SvbPx44

LOL. The pac-12 Network had it pulled off of YouTube due to “copyright claim.” What a bunch of weenies.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Larry can run but he can't hide.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

I think it is time for fans to start pressuring University presidents to force Scott and Dixon to resign. These articles are damning coming out on him.

Listening to Greg Sankey (SEC commissioner) on Dan Patrick yesterday and thinking of how far they outperform the PAC12 on a significantly lower salary and overhead made me bristle. Also, listening to Sankey defend not expanding to an 8 team playoff convinced me more than ever it needs to be done. They benefit from insular schedules and controlling two of those spots each year. It won't be so beneficial when other conferences start knocking them off here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Larry can run but he can't hide.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
    What an absolute grifter. I wonder whether USC is thoroughly embarrassed to have him as a grad?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    What an absolute grifter. I wonder whether USC is thoroughly embarrassed to have him as a grad?
    USC still has to claim OJ. Let's not get carried away here ...