Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NCAA Football Season

2018 NCAA Football Season

The NCAA tweaks kick-off rules again. I’m not sure why they just don’t eliminate the kick-off all together. They keep trying more and more incentive to for the fair catch. I don’t know that I notice that many injuries on kick-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah vs. Iowa St Dec. 26th in Cactus

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...71i8te9nlkk3bb

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Utah vs. Iowa St Dec. 26th in Cactus

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...71i8te9nlkk3bb

Another day after Christmas bowl that we won't sell tickets to!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The NCAA tweaks kick-off rules again. I’m not sure why they just don’t eliminate the kick-off all together. They keep trying more and more incentive to for the fair catch. I don’t know that I notice that many injuries on kick-off.

Have to allow for on-sides kicks. I suppose you could allow them if you ask for them, which would cover 90% of on-sides kicks when everyone knows it's coming, but I'd be bummed to lose out on the surprising on-sides kicks.

This is nice. We’re #25:

Top 25 College Football Programs of the Last 25 Years

https://thebiglead.com/2018/05/18/to...st-25-years/5/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

week 1 betting lines are out: no line yet for Utah vs. Weber

UA -14 vs BYU
    ASU -17½ vs. UTSA
    CU -6 vs. Colorado St.
    OSU +38 at Ohio State
    UO -28½ vs. Bowling Green
    Stan -14½ vs. San Diego St.
    UCLA -15½ vs. Cincinnati
    USC -27 vs. UNLV
    UW +3½ vs. Auburn (tempted to put money on UW )
    WSU -4 at Wyoming

week 1 betting lines are out: no line yet for Utah vs. Weber

UA -14 vs BYU
    ASU -17½ vs. UTSA
    CU -6 vs. Colorado St.
    OSU +38 at Ohio State
    UO -28½ vs. Bowling Green
    Stan -14½ vs. San Diego St.
    UCLA -15½ vs. Cincinnati
    USC -27 vs. UNLV
    UW +3½ vs. Auburn (tempted to put money on UW )
    WSU -4 at Wyoming
    Wow. A few of those lines really stand out.

14 points to Arizona over BYU.
    CU only 6 over the Rams.
    Even given WSU’s game 1 history, only 4 points over a Wyoming who is replacing their once in twenty years quarterback.

NCAA passes change that no longer requires student athlete transfers to get permission from coaches before contacting other schools.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ontact-process

The NCAA also updated the red shirt policy, allowing players to play in four games before losing their red shirt. We will see Tuttle this season.

NCAA passes change that no longer requires student athlete transfers to get permission from coaches before contacting other schools.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ontact-process

I think this is a positive change although I notice that conferences can still enact more stringent requirements.

I think this is a positive change although I notice that conferences can still enact more stringent requirements.

Phil Steele has Utah at #22 in his power rating

7. UW
    10. Stanford
    14. USC
    22. Utah
    26. Oregon
    27. Boise St
    41. Arizona
    47. Colorado
    53. Asu
    54. SDSU
    57. Fresno
    58. Cal
    59. UCLA
    66. Utah St
    68. WSU
    78. BYU
    81. Wyoming
    83. Air Force
    91. Nevada
    100. Colorado St
    104. UNLV
    114. OSU

https://twitter.com/WestcoastCfb/sta...36706213003264

2018 NCAA Football Season

Sounds like Brandon Burton is back. Now on staff.

Sounds like Brandon Burton is back. Now on staff.

Just for fun:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Just for fun:
    Couple of thoughts on this video ...

1. I miss James Bates and Todd Christensen. RIP Todd. Always treated us fairly, despite his BYU background. I could say the same for Blaine Fowler. There were others who weren't nearly as professional.

2. Unbelievable way to finish our time in the MWC. And it was about time we had an out-of-the-blue play to beat BYU.

3. For all of our excellent STs play under Kyle, we still commit a major mistake on this play. Since the blocked kick went past the line of scrimmage, there is zero need to fall on it. Touching it makes it a live ball, and downing it at that point on the field costs you field position, because otherwise you'd spot the ball at the LOS. Now, one time wouldn't be a big deal, and since we touched it with no time on the clock, there was no harm that could be inflicted. Still a scary thought as the ball bounded backwards.

Here's the most famous instance of such a blunder ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrU8z4w8T-4

In 2012, when we beat BYU three times, we could've avoided the second kick by covering the ball after we blocked BYU's first FG attempt. That ball was already live, since it went behind the LOS. Yet you see two Utah players run away from the ball (Go to 17:20 in this clip to see it). Had we recovered it, the 15-yard penalty wouldn't have mattered, because we would've had possession. We take a knee and the game is over. But because BYU recovered it, it extended their possession and forced us to "win" the game a third time, with the FG attempt that bounced off the upright.

this clearly needs to improve in 2018

https://twitter.com/SportsPac12/stat...22359828938752

SportsPac12
    19 hours ago

More

2017 Pac-12 Football - Percentage of Drives that Resulted in a Touchdown

1. Washington, 40%
    2. Arizona, 39%
    3. Stanford, 34%
    4. USC, 33%
    5. UCLA, 32%
    6. Oregon, 31%
    ASU, 31%
    8. WSU, 26%
    9. Colorado, 25%
    10. Cal, 24%
    11. Utah, 23%
    12. OSU, 19%

this clearly needs to improve in 2018

SportsPac12
    19 hours ago

More

2017 Pac-12 Football - Percentage of Drives that Resulted in a Touchdown

1. Washington, 40%
    2. Arizona, 39%
    3. Stanford, 34%
    4. USC, 33%
    5. UCLA, 32%
    6. Oregon, 31%
    ASU, 31%
    8. WSU, 26%
    9. Colorado, 25%
    10. Cal, 24%
    11. Utah, 23%
    12. OSU, 19%
    But hey ... on the rankings of drives that end with a FG, we should be pretty high. Maybe even No. 1!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Couple of thoughts on this video ...

In 2012, when we beat BYU three times, we could've avoided the second kick by covering the ball after we blocked BYU's first FG attempt. That ball was already live, since it went behind the LOS. Yet you see two Utah players run away from the ball (Go to 17:20 in this clip to see it). Had we recovered it, the 15-yard penalty wouldn't have mattered, because we would've had possession. We take a knee and the game is over. But because BYU recovered it, it extended their possession and forced us to "win" the game a third time, with the FG attempt that bounced off the upright.

That was the most painful win I’ve ever experienced. I had forgotten that BYU drove the length of the field in the last 1:00.

--Yeats

This is a few weeks old, but I just saw it this morning. Pretty insane how impatient today’s blue chip QBs are and what a difference a few plays can make.

Probably one of the major motivations for the redshirt rule change.

The Division I council recently approved a proposal that will allow student-athletes to participate in up to four games without burning their redshirt for the season. The rule will preserve a year of eligibility while still allowing some wiggle room for an athlete who hasn't yet used his or her redshirt season.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

bit of a surprise, guess who is in favor of a 9 game conference schedule:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/20...game-schedule/

This is a few weeks old, but I just saw it this morning. Pretty insane how impatient today’s blue chip QBs are and what a difference a few plays can make.

Probably one of the major motivations for the redshirt rule change.

There's really nothing impatient about this mindset. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Hurts had his share of average/mediocre play during the season. If such a stretch happened in the national title game, and the staff didn't turn to Tua, when exactly would they turn to him?

If Hurts plays great and Bama wins going away, when exactly does Tua get his shot? His senior year after Hurts finally graduates?

Urban gets a 3 game suspension for not firing Zach Smith a few years ago and for lying at Big10 media days.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Not Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Calling my shot: A team not on this list of 13 schools will make the CFP this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Calling my shot: A team not on this list of 13 schools will make the CFP this year.
    That's fine, but it doesn't count unless that team wins it all.

It will happen someday, of course, but it hasn't happened yet.

Technically, the season starts today! I think Hawaii @ CSU at 5:30 is the game to watch.

FOOTBALL IS BACK! Every one of us needs to wake up Sunday morning hungover from binge watching.

Thursday night:

Northwestern @ Purdue. Watch for an hour before switching to the main event
    WSU @ Utah. HERE WE GO!

Friday night:

Watch SDSU @ Stanford until CU vs CSU starts. That Colorado rivalry is usually a good game.

Sat morning:

TTech vs Ole Miss is the smallest line of the morning. Texas @ Maryland was a great game last season, though.

Sat early afternoon:

UW vs Auburn. Game of the week by a wide margin. Both teams in the top 10. Winner goes right to the 1-seed in early playoff discussion.
    Tenn vs West Virginia is a great 2nd option if the main event turns into a blowout.
    Wazzu @ Wyoming. Cougars never like Laramie. The line on this is only 1.5. We are all cowboys!
    UNC @ Cal. Another chance for the Pac-12 vs a P5.

Sat evening:

Cincy @ UCLA. First look at the Chippy Bruins.
    Michigan @ Notre Dame. Both ranked. Fans of either team ready to start doubting their head coach.
    Louisville vs Bama. Bama usually rolls in these neutral field early games. We'll see.

Late game: BYU @ Arizona.

Sunday evening: Miami vs LSU. Miami is ranked #8? Not sure I'm buying.

Monday evening: VaTech @ FSU. What a weekend!