Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardinal Sin... Utah at the Stanford "Indians"

#allgayallday
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Momentum has shifted. We need to find a way to get it back.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

The red zone monster has come back.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Momentum has shifted. We need to find a way to get it back.
    There you go!
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

As many things that went wrong in the WSU game, they seem to be going right tonight.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Our offensive line has been great tonight.

There’s hope for this season yet! This was a great game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

8 ypc for Moss is fantastic. 17/21 for Huntley? Love it.

Beating Stanford always feels good. An 0-3 start would have been unbearable.

To me it seems most important that the team learned that they can win, they can hold off a ranked team —on the road — that’s coming back on them, and they can execute well in those situations. It looked like Huntley was comfortable tonight too.

--Yeats

Those things that went against us vs UW and WSU - turnovers, big plays, and bad calls - went our way last night. Also, no drops.

I was fast asleep during the game, but WHAT A RESULT!!!!! Beating a top 15 team on the road by 20 points is not bad! Some thoughts after having watched 0:00 of the game:

1. I guess Huntley is still the guy.
    2. Z Moss is the real deal. Running like that on Stanford is phenomenal (even if Stanford D-line is down this year).
    3. Kyle owns Stanford. They are probably complaining about having to play Utah too much.
    4. The Pac North needs to help us out. Arizona beating Cal yesterady is one of those games which doesn't seem to matter much but given Arizona's cushy schedule, they are still in the South race.
    5. I hope LA apologized for saying that Kyle never wins big games. That was mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I was fast asleep during the game, but WHAT A RESULT!!!!! Beating a top 15 team on the road by 20 points is not bad! Some thoughts after having watched 0:00 of the game:
    It was glorious. Catch the replay on Pac-12 this week sometime. One of those games that makes you think we finally have it figured out. (Don't fall for that, though!).

We haven't had our wtf loss yet this year. I think UCLA in LA could be that team.

I'm glad RichRod is gone. That guy had us figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It was glorious. Catch the replay on Pac-12 this week sometime. One of those games that makes you think we finally have it figured out. (Don't fall for that, though!).

We haven't had our wtf loss yet this year. I think UCLA in LA could be that team.

I'm glad RichRod is gone. That guy had us figured out.
    I was in the stands and pleasantly surprised by the turnout of Ute fans. The stadium was mostly empty.

Some things the Utes did well last night:
    - kick FGs
    - defend the run
    - Convert 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1.
    - score just before halftime.
    - run the ball
    - tackle

Huntley played well overall, but he's still not really a threat to throw. The long TD to Nacua was the first passing TD this season against a team not called Weber State.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

1. I guess Huntley is still the guy.
    2. Z Moss is the real deal. Running like that on Stanford is phenomenal (even if Stanford D-line is down this year).
    3. Kyle owns Stanford. They are probably complaining about having to play Utah too much.
    4. The Pac North needs to help us out. Arizona beating Cal yesterady is one of those games which doesn't seem to matter much but given Arizona's cushy schedule, they are still in the South race.
    5. I hope LA apologized for saying that Kyle never wins big games. That was mean!
    I think this was a terrific win and I give Kyle and his staff the credit!

--Yeats

It’s scary how in this conference even a 19-point victory like this is a close shave. This game was decided by two improbable plays—the 100 yard pic six and the desperation 59 yard TD pass from a scrambling blitz-evading T. Huntley who can’t throw deep.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I would add one more play Seattle. I think Maxs Tupai's sack that preceded the drive that included the Huntley touchdown pass was enormous. Stanford had been moving the ball up and down the field for two quarters and the defense finally got a stop.

Question to the X and O folks.
    What changes (if any) did TT make for the Stanford game?
    Or did it just start to click for everyone?
    Are the formations, personell packages a lot different?

It seems the OLine was much improved. Scheme? Time together?
    The pass/run mix seemed about right.

And SU makes a good point. Those 2 plays played a huge role in a slug fest becoming a 20 point win.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I would add one more play Seattle. I think Maxs Tupai's sack that preceded the drive that included the Huntley touchdown pass was enormous. Stanford had been moving the ball up and down the field for two quarters and the defense finally got a stop.
    Agreed. I give the players lots of credit for making the plays you and Seattle list. It is impressive how much difference that makes. I think the coaching staff had the players ready this time. The killer instinct was alive in the players and the coaches all 60 minutes of the game. Onward!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It’s scary how in this conference even a 19-point victory like this is a close shave. This game was decided by two improbable plays—the 100 yard pic six and the desperation 59 yard TD pass from a scrambling blitz-evading T. Huntley who can’t throw deep.
    Yeah, that's why most games in the Pac (that don't feature Oregon State or Washington) are tossups. Washington State is a W if not for that 86 yard pass play: if we just don't whiff on tackling the guy or it is not a perfect pass, we are 2-1 and in the birddog's seat in the South!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Question to the X and O folks.
    What changes (if any) did TT make for the Stanford game?
    Or did it just start to click for everyone?
    Are the formations, personell packages a lot different?

It seems the OLine was much improved. Scheme? Time together?
    The pass/run mix seemed about right.

And SU makes a good point. Those 2 plays played a huge role in a slug fest becoming a 20 point win.
    We ran the ball more on 1st and second down

I felt like the offense was more unpredictable.

For example, on the 4th and 1 where Moss got through for the TD, I figured we were going to run the whole "TE fake blocks and runs into the flat". We ran some similar action in that we motioned the slot across the formation to Huntley's right, so I was looking for it to go there. I think Stanford was too as a bunch of guys shifted to their left. Then Moss busts through and there is nobody in the backfield.

It just seemed like it the offense was more balanced and unpredictable overall.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I felt like the offense was more unpredictable.

For example, on the 4th and 1 where Moss got through for the TD, I figured we were going to run the whole "TE fake blocks and runs into the flat". We ran some similar action in that we motioned the slot across the formation to Huntley's right, so I was looking for it to go there. I think Stanford was too as a bunch of guys shifted to their left. Then Moss busts through and there is nobody in the backfield.

It just seemed like it the offense was more balanced and unpredictable overall.
    Gunther broke that play down today

Great blocking by the left side of the line. They got to the linebackers. Moss hit the hole fast and hard and was through before Stanford knew he was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching the first half on Pac-12 network:

- Our pass defense is a little bit (maybe a lot) shaky. It seems that they can get a 15 yard pass whenever they want. There big TE/receivers are a load for us to handle. JJ getting lost on a few of the deep moves.
    - Our run D, on the other hand, is money.
    - The O lien has gotten SOOO much better since No. Illinois/Weber.

- Covey is our only wideout who can get a first when we need it. He's covering every catch with a double arm bar; the coaches talked to him about his fumbles.
    - I'm kind of impressed with this freshman tide end (Kluthe). I didn't pay attention when we signed him but he's good.
    - I love Chase Hansen and Cody Barton (yes, I was wrong about him).
    - Props to Kyle for getting the fg just before the half. I would have just held the ball.
    - Lots of defensive holdings calls.
    - Are we the most penalized team for ineligible receiver downfield? Some of these calls I have no idea how the O-lineman has time to get too far downfield.
    - Was Oregon State's coach an accountant in his previous career?

Watching the first half on Pac-12 network:

- Our pass defense is a little bit (maybe a lot) shaky. It seems that they can get a 15 yard pass whenever they want. There big TE/receivers are a load for us to handle. JJ getting lost on a few of the deep moves.
    Oh, wait until you watch the 2nd half.

Two weeks in a row our secondary has been completely shredded. Both were unique opponents, though. WSU with their air raid - passing is all they do. Stanford with their 6'6" WRs/TEs. They get a PI/holding on pretty much every series in the 2nd half.

If Arizona also gets 350+ passing yards, it's time to panic.

Second half:

- The pass defense: . I think they are picking on Guidry (it's hard to tell; I'm watching football in 60). But JJ has his share of misreads. Blackmon has been pretty good so far (but he gets burned on one of the touchdowns in the future). Ballard is pretty good; a couple of BS pass interferences. (Our guys need to sell the no PI better; we're always looking around to see if the ref has thrown a flag. That will (and has multiple times in the game) lead to refs throwing a flag).
    - Man, they are passing at will. It's like we are playing Washington State.
    - I hate seeing Porter Gustin talking about how USC has a green campus. Look, if you had wanted a beautiful, natural campus you would not have gone to a school in south central.
    Last edited by Applejack; 10-09-2018 at 08:51 AM.

- Props to Kyle for getting the fg just before the half. I would have just held the ball.
    I keep thinking about this. If you're going to be aggressive with 24 seconds to go, why hand it off on 1st down? Or, maybe you hand it off on 1st down just to see if you break something. But you don't break anything big. Who then calls a time out and runs it again? Just a crazy series.

- Are we the most penalized team for ineligible receiver downfield? Some of these calls I have no idea how the O-lineman has time to get too far downfield.
    I've seen this penalty 100 times in my life, and, so far, the penalty has never - not once - had any effect on the play itself. This is one of the dumbest rules in football. I get the intent, but the rule should change.

On the drive where we kick a field goal to go up 30-21, how did we get down the field? Big kickoff? The football in 60 broadcast cut out all the good plays and we just started at their 30.

Geez, how many TEs/big receivers can one team have? I've never heard of some of these guys.

Great O-line play in this game, especially on our left side.