Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cardinal Sin... Utah at the Stanford "Indians"

Tuttle with great hair on the sidelines.

Bryce Love is wondering if he is worth three scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    On the drive where we kick a field goal to go up 30-21, how did we get down the field? Big kickoff? The football in 60 broadcast cut out all the good plays and we just started at their 30.
    You missed the great segment where they showed a Stanford player in the classroom. Play-by-play guy is all "What is this black magic? I can't understand any of this. You Stanford players are all geniuses!" The class was calculus - the same class most of us took as juniors in high school.

Anyway:

• 1st & 10 at UTAH 25

(1:30 - 3rd) Zack Moss run for 4 yds to the Utah 29

• 2nd & 6 at UTAH 29

(1:00 - 3rd) Tyler Huntley pass complete to Samson Nacua for 13 yds to the Utah 42 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at UTAH 42

(0:43 - 3rd) Zack Moss run for 21 yds to the Stanf 37 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at STAN 37

(0:00 - 3rd) Zack Moss run for 5 yds to the Stanf 32

• End of 3rd Quarter
    • 2nd & 5 at STAN 32

(15:00 - 4th) Armand Shyne run for 8 yds to the Stanf 24 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at STAN 24

(14:30 - 4th) Tyler Huntley pass complete to Britain Covey for 8 yds to the Stanf 16

• 2nd & 2 at STAN 16

(13:30 - 4th) Zack Moss run for a loss of 1 yard to the Stanf 17

• 3rd & 3 at STAN 17

(13:00 - 4th) Tyler Huntley pass complete to Brant Kuithe for 1 yd to the Stanf 16

• 4th & 2 at STAN 16

(12:33 - 4th) Matt Gay 34 yd FG GOOD

Great win! I loved every second of it. I love that we absolutely OWN stanford. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

That was not the shellacking that the final score indicates, however. The big plays of the game (JJ's 100 yard interception return and Huntley's desperation heave to Nacua) both went our way; those don't happen every game and sometimes they work against us. Our D left a lot to be desired, especially considering that Love was out. Arizona is the worst team left on our schedule (I'd say the Cougars but they have scoreboard on Arizona). I hope next week is a cakewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You missed the great segment where they showed a Stanford player in the classroom. Play-by-play guy is all "What is this black magic? I can't understand any of this. You Stanford players are all geniuses!" The class was calculus - the same class most of us took as juniors in high school.

That's pretty funny. It was fun to see N'keal Harry talk about all the recycling bins they have at the stadium. I have been to ASU's stadium; recycling bins are the least of their worries.

A couple of things I noticed that weren't really important but I still feel the need to mention for no good reason.

After the targeting call against Stanford (which was reversed), the Stanford defender went over to Mariner on the Ute sideline and (apparently) apologized and checked on him to see if he was OK. Really a class act.

On the pass to Nacua, it was ridiculous that there wasn't a flag for roughing Huntley. The defender was on the ground, was getting up, Huntley threw the pass, and then the defender accelerated, took a few steps, and hit Huntley. It wasn't a terribly hard hit and didn't make a difference at all, but it was blatant and should have been flagged.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    A couple of things I noticed that weren't really important but I still feel the need to mention for no good reason.

After the targeting call against Stanford (which was reversed), the Stanford defender went over to Mariner on the Ute sideline and (apparently) apologized and checked on him to see if he was OK. Really a class act.

On the pass to Nacua, it was ridiculous that there wasn't a flag for roughing Huntley. The defender was on the ground, was getting up, Huntley threw the pass, and then the defender accelerated, took a few steps, and hit Huntley. It wasn't a terribly hard hit and didn't make a difference at all, but it was blatant and should have been flagged.
    And he hit him in the back.

Every time I hear Scott babble about the Pac-12’a commitment to player safety and concussion research I laugh. This season has already had multiple missed calls and reviews to say they don’t care at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And he hit him in the back.

And knocked him to the ground. it was just a revenge hit well after the play was over at that end of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

That was Gabe Reid. Give the guy a break; he obviously regrets going to a school that is a chew toy for his hometown Utes.

Cardinal Sin... Utah at the Stanford "Indians"

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    That was not the shellacking that the final score indicates, however. The big plays of the game (JJ's 100 yard interception return and Huntley's desperation heave to Nacua) both went our way; those don't happen every game and sometimes they work against us. Our D left a lot to be desired, especially considering that Love was out. Arizona is the worst team left on our schedule (I'd say the Cougars but they have scoreboard on Arizona). I hope next week is a cakewalk.
    I loved the Utes' aggressiveness on both sides of the ball. I also think you're right about the game being closer than it looked. Still, I can't quite bring myself to say we were lucky (and I don't think you're saying that either). In the words of my old high school coach (who was smart enough to keep me on the 3rd string), Utah "took the game to" Stanford. The aggressiveness KW showed with the FG at the end of the first half is an example. The way we stuffed the run is another. So I'm telling myself that both the pick-6 and the long heave by Huntley were mainly guys aggressively making plays, with a little good luck thrown in.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-09-2018 at 11:09 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The end of half FG is the perfect illustration of the fine line between absolute genius and complete idiocy. If a turnover happens there that could easily turn into a score, we want Whit's head on a pike. (This could also be said for Huntley's bomb to Nacua.)

When I saw Whit do that though I thought, "Well at least he learned something from his mistake with Chris Peterson."

Also the comment above about the running in that situation, I think you have to do that to avoid the idiocy scenario described above. Run some safe plays, if you break it off, great... if not, no worse off. If your opponent is going to give it to you, take it, but don't take big risks.

Good stuff, I hope things like that continue to break our way.

I missed this Max Browne breakdown of the Stanford game.

Other than the fact I feel like he's yelling at me, I like his insights.