Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LDS General Conference, October 2018

LDS General Conference, October 2018

Oh boy........rumors, rumors, rumors!

Two hour block? Stake Auxiliary leaders going away? Changes to the missionary program? Cutting back on activities? New temples?

I can confirm a couple - There will be particular talk of missions - specifically a service mission option six months to two years in length with stake presidents acting as mission presidents. The church has partnered with a number of NGOs including organizations like the United Way, Red Cross and Catholic Services to begin creating a breadth of service missions for young people. This will be particularly for young people dealing with various disabilities preventing them from leaving home. There will be a limited number of opportunities in the states and abroad for service missionaries - I was told Nauvoo as an example.

Simultaneous to this, proselyting missions will evolve a little. The brethren want ministering to become the operational paradigm for proselyting (now to be called Teaching) missions. This will mean a greater emphasis on service and re-activation.

I'm also told more information is coming about the new young men's and young women's program. Those will roll out the first of the year so it makes sense that they'll spend some time on it in conference.

That's all I've got. I've heard the two-hour block rumor enough that I think there may be open rebellion if it doesn't happen. I may lead the revolt.

The one thing I'll say to perhaps fuel the rumor is recount part of a conversation with a friend who works in a significant administrative role for the church. He was sharing with me that the brethren had hoped that the emphasis on Sabbath Day worship a few years ago would move the meter. They looked at attendance during and following the emphasis. Attendance remained flat. He remarked that many of the brethren concluded that a structural change is necessary to get members attending Sunday meetings but also doing Sabbath things in their homes.

Should be an interesting weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Oh boy........rumors, rumors, rumors!

Two hour block? Stake Auxiliary leaders going away? Changes to the missionary program? Cutting back on activities? New temples?
    I don't care about any of those things. Three hours? Not a problem. Stake leaders? Whatever. Once a week for activities - seems about right. New temples? Okay.

Here's what I want to hear:

"In the past, we've encouraged members to be involved in the political process in order to make their nations better places. GET OUT! GET OUT NOW! RUN! Before it's too late! Political passion is poison! If you value your soul, stop caring about this stuff so much!"

Or maybe this:

"We tried to be subtle, but that never works. So we're just gonna say it: Facebook was invented by the devil. It's damnation online. Time to shut that account down."

How about:

"We've decided to align the smart phone age with the dating age for youth. Youth who smart phone before age 16 should be ostracized, and their parents judged by the good members."

We've all dreamed about

"We are so grateful to all those who have made BYU a great institution of higher learning over the decades. We hereby announce the closing of the university. Arrangements have been made to sell the property to UVU up the road. It's time for our young men and women to go somewhere that isn't so weird."

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I'm also told more information is coming about the new young men's and young women's program. Those will roll out the first of the year so it makes sense that they'll spend some time on it in conference.
    Don't those roll out Jan 1, 2020?

Maybe it's because I have small children, but I really like the 3 hour block.

MTC name change. Unnecessary, and all this emphasis won't have intended consequence unless BOM is changed to Book of Jesus Christ.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46401233...than-150-years
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    …...I really like the 3 hour block.

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

meh! on these changes.

The 2 hour block won't happen. Someone will have brought up a story about when Brigham Young spoke for 7 straight hours while people sat on hard wooden pews and how they were richly edified.

Someone tweeted that they have been doing the 2 hour church block before it was cool
    Last edited by Scorcho; 10-05-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Presbyterians usually have a 45 minute block....just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I can confirm a couple - There will be particular talk of missions - specifically a service mission option six months to two years in length with stake presidents acting as mission presidents. The church has partnered with a number of NGOs including organizations like the United Way, Red Cross and Catholic Services to begin creating a breadth of service missions for young people. This will be particularly for young people dealing with various disabilities preventing them from leaving home. There will be a limited number of opportunities in the states and abroad for service missionaries - I was told Nauvoo as an example.

Simultaneous to this, proselyting missions will evolve a little. The brethren want ministering to become the operational paradigm for proselyting (now to be called Teaching) missions. This will mean a greater emphasis on service and re-activation.

That's all I've got. I've heard the two-hour block rumor enough that I think there may be open rebellion if it doesn't happen. I may lead the revolt.

The one thing I'll say to perhaps fuel the rumor is recount part of a conversation with a friend who works in a significant administrative role for the church. He was sharing with me that the brethren had hoped that the emphasis on Sabbath Day worship a few years ago would move the meter. They looked at attendance during and following the emphasis. Attendance remained flat. He remarked that many of the brethren concluded that a structural change is necessary to get members attending Sunday meetings but also doing Sabbath things in their homes.

Should be an interesting weekend.
    Missionary thing is already underway mostly (just not announced). I personally think every missionary should have an extended period of just purely service.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Yeah, man. Three hours is cool...if done right.

There are two important parts of being a mormon - the spiritual growth/conversion and the social interaction. In a 3 hour block, at least 30-45 minutes should be spent talking to people - and not just the people who are cool. Don't let the Sunday School president always start things on time.

Three hours is great for primary kids. They get 1 hour of sit and listen, an hour of fun-ish time, and an hour of a hopefully interactive lesson. And they are with other LDS kids for two of those hours, which is something they never get at school. Maybe it's tough on the primary workers, but it's great for my kids.

Conference Bingo for those of you playing along:

conference-changes-bingo.jpg

Rocker,
    I know the service mission's been going on in Utah but I don't think it's been going on elsewhere. Do you know if it has?

I am not sure, I was in a meeting about a month ago where they went over the new system for missionaries to put in their papers and they had joined that with the service mission aspect (for youth) already in it. They explained what you did above about it as well (ie teaching missions) and even explained that rather than release missionaries who came home early they'd be assigned to do service where appropriate etc.

I was under the impression it was church-wide at that point but could be wrong.

Yeah, man. Three hours is cool...if done right...…..

Hard for me to type my appreciation for this change through the uncontrollable sobbing of my tears of joy.

Did they change all missions to 18 months?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

my wife told me in the women's session they were asked to read the Book of Mormon by year's end. My wife expressed frustration at that because she doesn't find the Book of Mormon relate-able. She mentioned that at least the Bible has a few stories about women, but the Book of Mormon has nothing.

I had never thought about that before. Not sure I would be to thrilled with reading scriptural stories that were filled with 98% of the opposite sex either?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    my wife told me in the women's session they were asked to read the Book of Mormon by year's end. My wife expressed frustration at that because she doesn't find the Book of Mormon relate-able. She mentioned that at least the Bible has a few stories about women, but the Book of Mormon has nothing.

I had never thought about that before. Not sure I would be to thrilled with reading scriptural stories that were filled with 98% of the opposite sex either?
    When I read "Catcher in the Rye" in my late teens, I of course felt that I was Holden Caulfield. Many years later, I found out my sister-in-law had the same experience. I think the Odyssey is pretty man-centered but still has a lot to offer anyone. I read "Jane Eyre" and felt like I could relate well to Jane.

I get it - the Book of Mormon doesn't feature a lot of women (I can think of 5 off the top of my head - Sariah, Lamoni's wife, Isabel, Mary, and Eve...maybe the mothers of the army of Helaman). But I hope we can all relate to stories of love, courage, patience, sin, redemption, etc. Those things - like Odysseus' journey - transcend gender. Plus, I think we re-read for doctrine more than for stories.

Anyway, this is all easy for me to say as a man.

The U's Michael Wilcox wrote a book called "Daughters of God" that looks at every scripture story from the Bible and Book or Mormon involving women. I think it's pretty good. Maybe your wife would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Presbyterians usually have a 45 minute block....just saying
    I was always impressed by the Presbyterian Sunday services I went to. Short & sweet, no guilt-lacing or fire & brimstone, thoughtful & positive.

Add another half hour for spontaneous socializing and catching up with people afterward, or for some, coordinating outreach to those who needed extra help, and you're on your way. The dress code was relaxed, too. It was a very happy group of people.

"Go have a great day, act like Jesus would want you to act."

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    I was always impressed by the Presbyterian Sunday services I went to. Short & sweet, no guilt-lacing or fire & brimstone, thoughtful & positive.

Add another half hour for spontaneous socializing and catching up with people afterward, or for some, coordinating outreach to those who needed extra help, and you're on your way. The dress code was relaxed, too. It was a very happy group of people.

"Go have a great day, act like Jesus would want you to act."
    “Coffee Hour” is a very important part of Sunday.

And the dress code is come as you are. The belief is God doesn’t care what you wear

Eons ago, Washington Irving and I were altar boys at All Saints Episcopal on 17th s. and Foothill. blvd. Occasionally I served the 7 am Eucharist; many parishioners would attend in ski clothes, and head straight on up afterward. I always thought that was the best way to honor the Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Eons ago, Washington Irving and I were altar boys at All Saints Episcopal on 17th s. and Foothill. blvd. Occasionally I served the 7 am Eucharist; many parishioners would attend in ski clothes, and head straight on up afterward. I always thought that was the best way to honor the Sabbath.
    Now you guys are just being mean.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Now you guys are just being mean.
    A long, long time ago, my wife and I were running about 5 miles every morning except Sunday. One Sunday she looks at me asleep on the couch after Church and says lets go for a run. I said, we can't run. It's Sunday. She says ok, lets go for a walk. As we get started she picks up the pace to a very fast walk and asks if this is ok. She then starts a slow jog and asks, how about this? She then gets going and asks, at what speed does it go from being ok to not ok. I said, when I start to sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    A long, long time ago, my wife and I were running about 5 miles every morning except Sunday. One Sunday she looks at me asleep on the couch after Church and says lets go for a run. I said, we can't run. It's Sunday. She says ok, lets go for a walk. As we get started she picks up the pace to a very fast walk and asks if this is ok. She then starts a slow jog and asks, how about this? She then gets going and asks, at what speed does it go from being ok to not ok. I said, when I start to sweat.
    My wife gets mad at me for biking or running on Sunday mornings. I argue that there is nothing more peaceful or reflective than being alone on a quiet
    Sunday morning, and it is much better for body, mind, and spirit that sleeping or sitting at home.

Day of rest is taken too literally sometimes. Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    My wife gets mad at me for biking or running on Sunday mornings. I argue that there is nothing more peaceful or reflective than being alone on a quiet
    Sunday morning, and it is much better for body, mind, and spirit that sleeping or sitting at home.

Day of rest is taken too literally sometimes. Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
    I see all this as a matter of personal preference. Sometimes we are too prone to confuse principle with preference. I don’t do a serious workout on Sunday but I almost always go on a longish walk with my wife and our two dogs. I do work out most other days and I think my (aging) body likes a break. Whatever works for each individual.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-12-2018 at 10:33 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The whole "women should take an internet timeout" is ridiculous.

Why just women? If anyone needs one, it'd be guys like junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The whole "women should take an internet timeout" is ridiculous.

Why just women? If anyone needs one, it'd be guys like junkie.
    Who's junkie?

I agree, why not invite everyone? But, to clarify, it was not an internet timeout - just a social media timeout.

I've been invited to take a social media timeout a couple of times, and I did.

Who's junkie?
    Someone on the Cougarstadium board who is not a bad guy but who on message boards acted like an exceptionally immature seventh grader. I haven’t been there more than 2-3 times in the past few years; maybe he’s changed. I doubt it.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-18-2018 at 04:53 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Someone on the Cougarstadium board who is not a bad guy but who on message boards acted like an exceptionally immature seventh grader. I haven’t been there more than 2-3 times in the past few years; maybe he’s changed. I doubt it.
    So, he's like a BYU version of me (except for the not a bad guy part)?

Does using Twitter just for news but never posting count as social media? If not, I've been on a social media fast for 40+ years.

So, he's like a BYU version of me (except for the not a bad guy part)?

Does using Twitter just for news but never posting count as social media? If not, I've been on a social media fast for 40+ years.
    Looks like you are a social media voyeur.

--Yeats