Thread: US Women’s National Team 2019 World Cup

US Women’s National Team 2019 World Cup

The USWNT is quietly crushing everyone in CONCACAF. This team looks like they will be the prohibitive favorite in the 2019 World Cup.

Seriously. They are just destroying these teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The USWNT is quietly crushing everyone in CONCACAF. This team looks like they will be the prohibitive favorite in the 2019 World Cup.

Seriously. They are just destroying these teams.
    It will take a while for the world to catch up. Soccer is the world's sport, but women's soccer is an American invention. It's a shame because the games are unwatchable.

I think this has been the payoff for Title 9.

The men's side has been the downside since so many men's teams were disbanded.

I think this has been the payoff for Title 9.

The men's side has been the downside since so many men's teams were disbanded.
    That probably plays a role. For many decades, soccer has been the primary sport for US girls. Title IX can probably take part of the credit but not all. Our girls have grown up playing it. That is not true of our boys (there is competition from football, baseball, and basketball). It is also not true of other nations. In Latin America, for example, volleyball has been the primary sport for girls. Other nations are still a decade behind in women's soccer. It's a shame because US women's soccer could be very exciting if there was some decent competition.

I wish the U had a men's soccer team. Soccer is growing in popularity in the US while football/baseball decline. Soccer may be big someday - it would be nice to be ahead of the curve. Instead, we have lacrosse, which will likely remain a niche sport for elite white men.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It will take a while for the world to catch up. Soccer is the world's sport, but women's soccer is an American invention. It's a shame because the games are unwatchable.

You, sir, are a Luddite. My daughters grew up playing and watching soccer, and could tell you every player on the women's national team for years. We went to the tourney in Vancouver three years ago and had one of the best times of our lives. We may try to do it again in Lyon next summer. We enjoy watching the U women's team. I find the game exciting, and with tennis, is one of the two women's sports I enjoy watching. It is a lot better than US men's soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You, sir, are a Luddite. My daughters grew up playing and watching soccer, and could tell you every player on the women's national team for years. We went to the tourney in Vancouver three years ago and had one of the best times of our lives. We may try to do it again in Lyon next summer. We enjoy watching the U women's team. I find the game exciting, and with tennis, is one of the two women's sports I enjoy watching. It is a lot better than US men's soccer.
    I also love soccer. I coached my daughter's team for a few years. I went to Utah women's soccer games when I lived in SLC before I even had daughters. I'm just saying that 7-0 games aren't exciting. Every single qualifier so far has been like watching Alabama play LA-Lafayette.

I am aware that there have been many great and exciting games in US Women's soccer history. I've watched most of them.

By the way, US Men's soccer is just as exciting. It's like watching Utah/USC football from the Utah perspective.

Your point about your girls knowing all the names of the US soccer team players underscores my point. There aren't girls in France, Argentina, or England who know the names of their national team players. That's the difference in competition.
    Last edited by sancho; 10-15-2018 at 10:01 AM.

By the way, US Men's soccer is just as exciting. It's like watching Utah/USC football from the Utah perspective.
    It can be, but right now it is a mess. Did you watch the Columbia game? We had guys running into each other.

It can be, but right now it is a mess. Did you watch the Columbia game? We had guys running into each other.
    I did not watch - I don't have Telemundo. I hope to see some of the Peru game tomorrow.

I did see James' goal. World class.

I did not watch - I don't have Telemundo. I hope to see some of the Peru game tomorrow.

I did see James' goal. World class.
    I think I saw it on FS1.

Michael Bradley got a good view of this goal.