Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 118

Thread: 2018-19 basketball season

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    in the It Could Always be Worse Dept.:


    Between 2014 and 2016, Ernie Kent signed 17 players.

    71% of them have now transferred.


    2016 was Larry's worst year for transfers and even with that, I'm not sure we are over 50%.

  2. #62
    Im trying to find the wins.

    Are we beating either az school?

    0-4

    Do we beat oregon schools? Maybe ore st at home?

    1-7

    We split @ nocal
    2-8

    We split wash schools?

    4-10

    Split with colo?
    5-11

    We beat socal @ home?

    5-13
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Im trying to find the wins.
    The good news is that the conference is awful.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Im trying to find the wins.

    Are we beating either az school?

    0-4

    Do we beat oregon schools? Maybe ore st at home?

    1-7

    We split @ nocal
    2-8

    We split wash schools?

    4-10

    Split with colo?
    5-11

    We beat socal @ home?

    5-13
    We'll get ASU at least once, and we'll surprise someone on the road and at home. 8-10.

  5. #65
    Larry made it official last night, announcing that Pop has left the team but that he will always be a ute and that Pop handled it well.

  6. #66
    Interesting that in last nights game both Barefield and Tillman did not start. They both entered the game at about the 15 minute mark. Tillman proceeded to make a lazy pass that was stolen and was immediately relegated to the bench. Later in the half, Barefield made one of his patented dribble through 3 defenders and lose the ball plays and went to the bench. I am happy to see LK hold players accountable for lazy and stupid plays.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Interesting that in last nights game both Barefield and Tillman did not start. They both entered the game at about the 15 minute mark. Tillman proceeded to make a lazy pass that was stolen and was immediately relegated to the bench. Later in the half, Barefield made one of his patented dribble through 3 defenders and lose the ball plays and went to the bench. I am happy to see LK hold players accountable for lazy and stupid plays.
    Until they transfer because Larry is super mean to them, at which point Larry will be criticized for not being player-friendly.

    *I realize Barefiled is a senior and not going anywhere, but this post addresses the larger issue generally.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Until they transfer because Larry is super mean to them, at which point Larry will be criticized for not being player-friendly.
    I guess this is what coaching means now. You have to manage emotions as much as anything else.

  9. #69
    Barefield did up his D intensity--which is a low bar, because not his interest in life---in the second half.

    And Tillman hit the boards & attacked the basket with new vigor, so maybe the bench was good for them. Interesting to see who he starts on Friday.

    Not sure where Pop will go---he is not a D-1 level talent. He could be a star at Westminster.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Not sure where Pop will go---he is not a D-1 level talent. He could be a star at Westminster.
    Still think he should be a safety.

  11. #71
    Barefield and Tillman did not start agains against NAU. Barefield came in and looked energized and determined. Tillman, just the opposite. Right now, Allen and Battin are playing harder and better than Tillman. I have really liked what I have seen from Battin. He needs to gain some upper body strength, but I think he has a nice upside. Allen needs to improve his outside shot. I like Gach.

    I don't think the Utes beat Nevada, but I hope they come out and compete.

  12. #72
    I thought the Utes did come out and compete. I can't remember another game this year when I felt they were playing with as much energy. Nevada has better players at every position, but I liked the competitiveness of the team. I really liked Tillman. He was pounding the boards. Although Nevada forced a lot of turnovers there are too many self-inflicted turnovers. Defense is a problem. Are we a zone or a man team. What good does it do to play man against inferior teams if we are going to play zone against better teams?

  13. #73
    Bol Bol of Oregon out for the year—-PAC 12 continues to crumble this year.

    Utes might actually win some home games.

  14. #74
    Damn! Is this conference going to be a one bid league?

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Damn! Is this conference going to be a one bid league?
    I think ASU gets an at large based on their win over Kansas. Whoever wins the conference tournament will get the conference's other spot. Two teams, and that's it. The only way a third team gets in is if somebody wins 14+ conference games, which seems incredible.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think ASU gets an at large based on their win over Kansas. Whoever wins the conference tournament will get the conference's other spot. Two teams, and that's it. The only way a third team gets in is if somebody wins 14+ conference games, which seems incredible.
    One bid would be exponentially more embarrassing that missing the football playoff and a 1-8 bowl season.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think ASU gets an at large based on their win over Kansas. Whoever wins the conference tournament will get the conference's other spot. Two teams, and that's it. The only way a third team gets in is if somebody wins 14+ conference games, which seems incredible.
    Utah on pace for 18-0...
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  18. #78
    Nevada going down hard in the pit. I like the thought of Eric Muss freaking out about it.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Nevada going down hard in the pit. I like the thought of Eric Muss freaking out about it.
    Wow. Lobos beat the spread by 41 pts. Go Lobos! What a huge win for that team.

  20. #80
    New Mexico may also be getting the services of vante Hendrix.

  21. #81
    Oregon St wins at Oregon. Tres Tinkle, not only best name in the league, might be the best player.

  22. #82
    Utah's top three wins on the season so far:

    @ASU (68 - Q1)
    vs. Tulsa (76 - Q3 - one spot from being a Q2 win)
    vs. Grand Canyon (117 - Q3)

    Another opportunity for a Q2 win at home vs. UW, the league's highest ranked team at 53).
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  23. #83
    Larry had a few interesting tidbits on his coaches show last night...

    -Lahat has not been cleared to practice yet. He is, as noted here, out of the boot. But right now he is just doing cardio exercises at the facility (I guess they have equipment that can take pressure off of his foot during workouts). Larry said itll likely be a redshirt this year. He also said Lahat has the ability to block and alter shots without fouling. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a big role next year, if healthy.

    -Both injured his ankle last monday and wasn't able to practice at all last week but gutted out some minutes.

    -Charles Jones role could increase but he has been a great presence for the team.

  24. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Larry had a few interesting tidbits on his coaches show last night...

    -Lahat has not been cleared to practice yet. He is, as noted here, out of the boot. But right now he is just doing cardio exercises at the facility (I guess they have equipment that can take pressure off of his foot during workouts). Larry said itll likely be a redshirt this year. He also said Lahat has the ability to block and alter shots without fouling. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a big role next year, if healthy.

    -Both injured his ankle last monday and wasn't able to practice at all last week but gutted out some minutes.

    -Charles Jones role could increase but he has been a great presence for the team.
    Any discussion about why this is the worst defensive team in a Utah jersey in Larry's tenure?

  25. #85
    You're probably being more facetious than anything but I heard Larry address this a little. He was complimentary of Allen's defense - remarked that he'd been given defensive player of the game for both Arizona games and, I think, commented on the lack of physicality Gach and Battin have in respect to the collegiate game particularly on defense. That was really it.

    I don't give this team - particularly the coaches - a pass on poor defense. Certainly youth and inexperience play a factor but priority and coaching by the time league play begins can overcome those elements for a lot of teams.

    Conversely, Larry commented about the offense - calling this team pretty strong. He mentioned that if you take turnovers out of the equation the Utes are averaging 1.5 points a possession. The coaches are using that number with the players to demonstrate just how good they can be offensively if they take better care of the ball.

  26. #86
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Larry made it official last night, announcing that Pop has left the team but that he will always be a ute and that Pop handled it well.
    Popoola just signed with Salt Lake Community College

    https://twitter.com/SLCCbasketball/s...555453952?s=19

  27. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Popoola just signed with Salt Lake Community College

    https://twitter.com/SLCCbasketball/s...555453952?s=19
    Good for him. Im hoping he gets the playing time he is looking for.

  28. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Good for him. Im hoping he gets the playing time he is looking for.
    There you go again, just siding with the coach's narrative!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  29. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    There you go again, just siding with the coach's narrative!
    Being a shill pays the bills.

  30. #90
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,912

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •