Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    What is our best case scenario?
    Our best and worst case scenarios are probably very close in terms of probabilities to win it all.

1 game lead with 3 to play. Win 2 and we got 4th

SC has @ UCLA and @ the mountains
    Stanford has @zona tomorrow (lost 18 straight to zona)Washingtons and Cal at home

If it holds (Oregon up 14 @ UCLA) Oregon has the zonas @home the @ Washingtons. They could end up 10-8

Also a decent chance Asu - Cal @Oregons, @ zona - finishes with 10 wins

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    1 game lead with 3 to play. Win 2 and we got 4th

SC has @ UCLA and @ the mountains
    Stanford has @zona tomorrow (lost 18 straight to zona)Washingtons and Cal at home

If it holds (Oregon up 14 @ UCLA) Oregon has the zonas @home the @ Washingtons. They could end up 10-8

Also a decent chance Asu - Cal @Oregons, @ zona - finishes with 10 wins

I stand corrected. UCLA is back.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Either UCLA or USC will have 8 losses when they head on the mountain road trip.

I hope so. Then they can gracefully bow out in the Pac-12 tournament so our league can get more teams in!

What is our best case scenario?

My thought is that we go in as the 4 seed and get the 5/12 winner of Cal vs. Colorado with ASU as the 2, OSU as the 3 (potentially playing rivalry games in their first round matchups). Even more so than avoiding the Huskies, I would think we'd want to avoid ASU and OSU. What do you think?
    I don't think your scenario is realistic. Our schedule the rest of the way is much easier than ASU's and OSU's, especially the latter, which still hosts the Arizona schools and has a roadie at Washington. If we win out, we're not going to be a 4 seed, that I can promise.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    If we win out, we're not going to be a 4 seed, that I can promise.
    You've been doing this to yourself all season. We play well, and you expect us to play well consistently. We are not going to win out. That's not what this team is. We will lose again and will look bad doing it. Then we will win again and will look pretty good. Then we will lose in Vegas, and we will start daydreaming about football.

I don't think your scenario is realistic. Our schedule the rest of the way is much easier than ASU's and OSU's, especially the latter, which still hosts the Arizona schools and has a roadie at Washington. If we win out, we're not going to be a 4 seed, that I can promise.
    As things stand tonight we would get the Cal/USC winner as the 4, which I actually like quite a bit. But yes, our remaining games are certainly winnable and we've given ourselves a cushion against CU as we head into Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You've been doing this to yourself all season. We play well, and you expect us to play well consistently. We are not going to win out. That's not what this team is. We will lose again and will look bad doing it. Then we will win again and will look pretty good. Then we will lose in Vegas, and we will start daydreaming about football.
    Enjoy the ride man!

Enjoy the ride man!
    Oh, I'm enjoying it. This season has been fun and has had some great moments. I'll hold out hope for a surprising Vegas run until the end. But I do think we are not good/consistent enough to win out.

I'll try to join you in Boulder on Sat.

Utah is now 6-2 on the road, and 3-4 at home in conference games. Crazy.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

No predictions made anywhere, and I’m fully aware of this team’s near-psychotic nature. My comment was made looking at the respective schedules of all three teams right below Washington. We’re deep enough into the season that some definitives are in play, and one of them is, a Utah team that wins out will not be merely a 4 seed.

Well we win 2 we end up 3rd

We win 1 and beat USC we most likely lose the tiebreakers (assuming its Oregon st or UCLA)
    We win 1 and beat UCLA we end up 4th (Barring an Oregon Upset of Washington and a Colo sweep)

Ok here are the scenarios for seeding:

Win and we end up 3rd seed

Lose and Ore st, Colo, Oreg all lose - 3rd Seed due to our win vs ASU

Lose and Colo, Ore lose - 5th seed (1-2 vs Ore st and UCLA)

Lose and Ore st and Ore lose 4th seed

Lose and Colo and Ore st lose 5th seed

Lose and any other combo... 6th seed

Final player grades

Sedrick Barefield: The all-Pac 12 first team honor was deserved, but that's probably more emblematic of the league itself than Sed overall as a player. He's a very good 3-point shooter -- but I would hesitate to call him an all-timer at Utah. He's a better passer than he's given credit for. He gave a young team scoring punch. His team-leading 29 steals are probably a generational low for a Utah team, and against the league's best teams, we were a turnover machine and that starts with your PG. Sed will be missed, but will never be spoken of as an all-timer at Utah. Final grade: B

Parker Van Dyke: We're a sub-.500 team without PVD, who had a great run from 3 as a senior and totally rewrote the ending of his career after a brutal non-con in which it was universally believed he should be benched. That said, having PVD come off the bench was probably the best coaching decision Larry made this year. PVD was very limited offensively (rarely got to the line, zero mid-range game to speak of) and nobody will ever confuse him with an above-average defender, but if you're strongest trait is hitting 40-percent plus from 3, I'll take it. And of course, his back-to-back games against UCLA and Arizona cemented his spot in Utah lore. Final grade: B

Jayce Johnson: I feel a lot better about Jayce going forward, and with a stronger second unit behind him next year, he should be able to play with more abandon and not worry about foul trouble. He's simply has got to get better at the line -- he could be a 15 and 11 guy just by improving his FT shooting, because not only does he miss when he gets there, you can't help but think his role in the offense is stunted because he's not a reliable option from the line. Final grade: B+

Riley Battin and Both Gach: I'm putting both here because after respectable starts (perhaps sizzling in Gach's case?) both were largely ineffective the second time around the league. That's understandable to the point of being predictable. My biggest concern is that neither is really suited for the position they played major minutes at this year. Battin is not a glass-eating, rim-protecting 4; Gach is not going to be the next Delon Wright at the point. Larry has to ensure these players aren't consistently put in spots where they can only fail. Final grade: C+ for Gach, C- for Battin.

Donnie Tillman: If you want, you can find arguments for where Donnie disappointed or underachieved. This will not be one of those spots, although he did have a very rough four-game patch in league play where he was almost invisible (the UCLA comeback had to be somewhat bittersweet, given Donnie did nothing to contribute in that game). I only mention that to demonstrate that he bounced back from that with a bang, averaging 14.4 PPG over the last five games, while shooting 63 percent on 2s and 41 percent on 3s.

You could argue that he wasn't the defender this year that he was last year, but he's hardly alone there. He was much better in league games this year than last year, and he's the shining hope that we'll see likewise from Battin and Gach next year. With a stronger inside presence next year, Donnie shouldn't have to rely as much on the 3 (he took nearly 100 more attempts this year, and although he improved from 32 to 36 percent, unless he can get near the 40 percent mark, he's probably more effective inside the arc; in fact, his make rate on 2s went from 51 to 53 percent YoY). Donnie is our best returning player next year and should threaten for all-Pac 12 honors. As the cast around Donnie gets better, his improvement will be even more noticeable. Final grade: B+

Novak Topalovic: I'm not gonna hammer the kid for coming to Utah, but the coach who thought he could transition to the Pac-12 has some explaining to do. His PER this year was lower than his freshman year at ISU. Conversely, his competition was much, much stronger -- even in a mediocre Pac-12. Some guys can make that jump to a higher league (Justin Bibbins comes to mind). But those guys are the exception, not the rule, and someone on Utah's staff forgot that. Nonetheless, he was a body to replace Jayce, and even the advanced stats show he rebounded about as well at Utah as he did at ISU. Final grade: D

Timmy Allen: The best of the frosh, and the one least affected by the wall most frosh hit. Ironically enough, his arrival pushed Tillman to have more of a perimeter game, and he was better inside as a frosh than Tillman was. Another interesting point -- if Allen played against Minnesota, Hawaii and Northwestern like he did in league games, we might be talking about Utah as a possible bubble team. I'm not suggesting by any stretch that Allen is the reason we're not talking about the Dance, but merely to display how atypical his freshman year was.

Timmy gets my highest grade this year, because his combination of youth and production was pretty damn impressive. However, I can't help but wonder if this is as good as it will get. He's too efficient inside to encourage him to take more 3s, but we've got a lot of size coming into the program next year and I expect Allen's minutes (he averaged a hefty 28.8 this year) and opportunities to be reduced as a result. I don't expect him to become an afterthought by any stretch, but I think it would be a mistake to expect him to trend higher statistically next year. Final grade: A-

Brandon Morley, Charles Jones Jr. both get incompletes. There are opportunities for both next year -- Jones can win the starting job if he proves he can be the catalyst on defense that Sed wasn't; Morley can eat into Battin's minutes as a spot-up 3-point shooter who can spread the floor in spurts and provide a little resistance defensively.

Final player grades
    I agree with your grades. I'll give Sed a B+ by factoring in entertainment value.

Battin had to try to fill a role he wasn't suited for at times. With as many bigs as we have next season, he shouldn't be required to do that any more. Depending on the quality of the many incoming bigs, he might have a lot less PT next season. He could fill a role of coming off the bench to spread the floor.

Gach is a question mark. He oozes potential, but potential for what? Does he have PG potential? His ball handling and passing are not strong at all. Does he have SG potential? I think so. He has the athleticism to get to the rim, but that skill is not yet in his toolbox. If he develops that ability, he'll be huge.

A big part of next season's success rests on the PG position. So it's all about Rylan being ready immediately, about Gach or CJJ having a big leap, or about a transfer PG.

No real quibbles with the grades either.

I think Battin really hit that freshman wall, but when he was good, he was really good. Hopefully nobody considers this blaspheme, but I see a little Trace Caton in him. I think he will always get playing time on a Larry coached team because he works hard and he's not afraid to stick his nose in there. He's got that garbage man potential.

As my avatar suggests, I really love the strides that headband Jayce made this year. If he can somehow improve the softness of his hands and go straight up when he gets it down low (and of course, improve his free throws), he's going to be an asset for us...especially early in the non-conference schedule. He and Tillman will be expected to be leaders next year, and I think they'll step up.

Novak was an absolute whiff by this staff. I watched him up close and personal when they played at CU, and he just seemed lost out there. I thought Morely really earned some minutes from him and I can't for the life of me understand why Morely didn't get some time last night...he could've stretched the D and made Wooten defend on the perimeter.

One of the things I've noticed is that Larry is all about the process, etc. I think he needs to figure out a way to speed that up next year to get some good OOC wins before heading into conference play. The opportunities will be there early, this team just needs to capitalize on them.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Good offense revolves around having players who can penetrate and either get to the rim or get the ball to the open guy on perimeter. It requires at least 2 guys capable of getting to the rim and at least 3 guys who are capable of hitting the 3. Allen and Goch can get to the rim but they both struggle when the defense collapses and they are forced to find the open guy. Tillman can back his guy down, but he too needs to be better at finding the open guy when the defense collapses. If these 3 guys can improve on finding the open guy, the Utes will have fewer turnovers which will lead to better offense and defense. We lose our two best outside scorers. Goch, Battin and Tillman are threats from deep, but none are the caliber of Sed and PVD.

Allen needs to improve his court vision and his outside shot.
    Goch needs to improve court vision and basketball IQ.
    Battin needs to get stronger physically and be more physical.
    Tillman needs to continue to improve 3 point shooting.
    Jayce showed a lot of improvement as the season continued. Stronger physically getting the ball and with the ball and better FT shooting should be his goals.

A lot will depend on these guys making steps forward. If they can make improvement and we can find 3 more guys who can contribute, we might be better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Goch can get to the rim
    I'm not sure he can. Can he? It sure wasn't a part of his game this season like it was for Allen.

I'm not sure he can. Can he? It sure wasn't a part of his game this season like it was for Allen.
    He doesn't dribble well enough. Loses the ball in traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He doesn't dribble well enough. Loses the ball in traffic.
    That might be because he often dribbles right into traffic.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Another too early look at next season:

1) The frontcourt. Johnson, Tillman, and Allen will start. The five others - Battin, the Finn, Lahat, Van Tall Guy, and Carlson - will compete for what is likely to be two spots in the rotation, maybe three.

2) The backcourt. A big question mark. We need a PG, and there are three possible ways to get one:

a) Gach and/or CJJ makes a big leap
    b) Rylan Jones is Pac-12 ready from the start
    c) We bring in a transfer who can run the show

3) Shooting. We know Tillman will be shooting outside. We hope Gach improves from out there. Battin may beat the other bigs out for minutes just because he can shoot. Other than that, we are hoping on Brenchley and whoever is new. Shooting appears to be a weakness - what we have may not be enough for modern basketball.

4) Offense. Tillman and Allen can attack the basket. Either could be good in a pick and roll if we end up with a PG who can handle that. Allen can be the man in the middle of a zone. So much depends on the PG. Hopefully, Gach is more polished offensively. We probably still won't have a strong post offense.

5) Defense. Jayce is pretty good here. Allen and Tillman both played good defense at times this season. Gach has potential here like he does everywhere else. He has all the tools to be a great defender. CJJ plays decent defense.

I'm not sure this adds up to a tournament caliber team. It all depends on that PG spot, and adding another shooter would be huge. Gach has 10 areas to improve in. If he makes a big leap in any one of those areas, he'll be very valuable. If he makes minor strides in multiple areas, he'll be useful. If he makes big improvements in all areas, he'll be all-conference.

1) The frontcourt. Johnson, Tillman, and Allen will start. The five others - Battin, the Finn, Lahat, Van Tall Guy, and Carlson - will compete for what is likely to be two spots in the rotation, maybe three.

2) The backcourt. A big question mark. We need a PG, and there are three possible ways to get one:

3) Shooting. We know Tillman will be shooting outside. We hope Gach improves from out there. Battin may beat the other bigs out for minutes just because he can shoot. Other than that, we are hoping on Brenchley and whoever is new. Shooting appears to be a weakness - what we have may not be enough for modern basketball.

4) Offense. Tillman and Allen can attack the basket. Either could be good in a pick and roll if we end up with a PG who can handle that. Allen can be the man in the middle of a zone. So much depends on the PG. Hopefully, Gach is more polished offensively. We probably still won't have a strong post offense.

5) Defense. Jayce is pretty good here. Allen and Tillman both played good defense at times this season. Gach has potential here like he does everywhere else. He has all the tools to be a great defender. CJJ plays decent defense.

I'm not sure this adds up to a tournament caliber team. It all depends on that PG spot, and adding another shooter would be huge. Gach has 10 areas to improve in. If he makes a big leap in any one of those areas, he'll be very valuable. If he makes minor strides in multiple areas, he'll be useful. If he makes big improvements in all areas, he'll be all-conference.
    But Larry’s salary!

😉

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Good points here. To your second point, I kind of think we will see a combo of all 3. I see us bringing in a JUCO/grad transfer to pair in the backcourt next to Gach. I see Rylan as the first guard off the bench, maybe around 20 minutes a night.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Good points here. To your second point, I kind of think we will see a combo of all 3. I see us bringing in a JUCO/grad transfer to pair in the backcourt next to Gach. I see Rylan as the first guard off the bench, maybe around 20 minutes a night.
    I also think we'll bring in a transfer. Larry usually ends up with an 8 man rotation. I think we'll have 5 bigs and 3 guards in a regular rotation (like we did this year). Could get up to a 9 or even 10 man rotation if there are pleasant surprises.

I hope someone seizes the PG spot and gets 30+ mpg as a floor leader. I think it's a bad sign if we have to go PG by committee.

This season, we had a 3 guard rotation (32 mpg, 24 mpg, 20 mpg) with 5 bigs (29, 27, 22, 20, 12). That may have looked different if Hendrix had stayed.

A few things:
    Do people really expect CJJ back next year? He seems like the most likely candidate to move on. It happens every year. The fact that we are still recruiting for next year is telling.
    Also, I think Rylan Jones will be as good as advertised. He will solidify the PG spot almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    A few things:
    Do people really expect CJJ back next year? He seems like the most likely candidate to move on. It happens every year. The fact that we are still recruiting for next year is telling.
    Also, I think Rylan Jones will be as good as advertised. He will solidify the PG spot almost immediately.

We are recruiting, no secret there. But I think Gaskin is at least as likely as CJJ to be the one to transfer out.

I hope you are right on Rylan. That would make a huge difference for us. Unfortunately, Utah Mr Basketball does not have a 100% success rate. Everything though Akot was a sure thing, and he turned out to be a bust.

Well, I think those are clearly the top 2 and it may (likely will?) come down to being able/unable to bring in a player(s) who are better. We are after two good juco guards (see my post in the recruiting thread) but we face stiff competition for both. Only other offer I am aware of is high school guard Harlond Beverly and thats probably a pipe dream unless it becomes a Vante Hendrix type situation.

I disagree with even going down the path of comparing Rylan to past Mr. Basketball winners. I mean, those guys have gone to be anywhere from "meh" in college to playing in the NBA......High School basketball in Utah isn't nearly what it is comparatively in football and as such its hard to gain much from it. Far better to compare what he has done at the AAU level and enough folks there seem to like him to the point that I am hopeful. Obviously, I agree that nothing is for sure (though I firmly believe Akot was utilized incorrectly and will be a really good player at Boise..).

Its the same argument Im fighting on twitter with Juco's. A lot of folks are arguing that since we had the national juco player of the year last year and he wasn't very good, any future juco wont be good either and thats just nuts to me. Each player should be evaluated on a case by case basis...

We should go ahead and make Donnie a 2. He's good enough (but can get better) from 3 and he can physically overpower most 2s. Moving Donnie is probably contrary to what I've said earlier, but we need more depth in the backcourt. Donnie can make this transition, and it'll open up more frontcourt space, where we've got a lot of bodies. We've also seen what this team can be like defensively with a big guard in the backcourt (Delon Wright).

Van Komen should get as many minutes as we can afford. He has a skill no one else has on the team, and one that still carries a lot of value in the college game, even as teams shoot more 3s.

I suspect we'll roll with the hot hand at the 3. It's the one position I can see a rotating cast of characters at, unless we're dead set on keeping Donnie there.

Whomever defends the best and turns the ball over the least should be the PG. It all starts there for Utah next year.

We should go ahead and make Donnie a 2. He's good enough (but can get better) from 3 and he can physically overpower most 2s. Moving Donnie is probably contrary to what I've said earlier, but we need more depth in the backcourt. Donnie can make this transition, and it'll open up more frontcourt space, where we've got a lot of bodies. We've also seen what this team can be like defensively with a big guard in the backcourt (Delon Wright).
    I was dreaming about that when watching Duke play Syracuse last week. The Orange were tall at every position. We can go big with Gach, Tillman, Allen, Battin/Finn/Carlson, and one of our three centers.

I think we can also go up tempo with Thione as the 5. Allen is certainly comfortable pushing. Gach would need to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I disagree with even going down the path of comparing Rylan to past Mr. Basketball winners.
    Sure, they're all different. Some have been great, and some have bombed. I'm just saying that we don't know yet what we have with Rylan Jones.