Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 basketball season

2018-19 basketball season

Night with the Running Utes;

Stand outs: Timmy Allen & Donnie Tillman. Both are really good, leading scorers.
    Also noticeable: Both Gach—ran the point for his team. Can handle the ball, pass & jump out of the gym. In the dunk contest tried the Michael Jordan take off at the free throw line & just missed it. Dante Hendrix—hit 3 or 4 threes in a row & played good defense.
    Novak is a big body, good around the rim. Morley, walk on, will be a decent sub, especially until Jayce gets in shape. Riley Battin will be a good backup, rebounds & got several garbage baskets.
    PVD looked solid.
    CJ4 has a very flat shot. Very active,not apparent what role he will play. Looked good in the dunk contest—for what that is worth.
    Sedrick looked good running his team from the point.
    Naseem, Lahat, Jayce did not suit up. Lahat on crutches.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Night with the Running Utes;

Stand outs: Timmy Allen & Donnie Tillman. Both are really good, leading scorers.
    Also noticeable: Both Gach—ran the point for his team. Can handle the ball, pass & jump out of the gym. In the dunk contest tried the Michael Jordan take off at the free throw line & just missed it. Dante Hendrix—hit 3 or 4 threes in a row & played good defense.
    Novak is a big body, good around the rim. Morley, walk on, will be a decent sub, especially until Jayce gets in shape. Riley Battin will be a good backup, rebounds & got several garbage baskets.
    PVD looked solid.
    CJ4 has a very flat shot. Very active,not apparent what role he will play. Looked good in the dunk contest—for what that is worth.
    Sedrick looked good running his team from the point.
    Naseem, Lahat, Jayce did not suit up. Lahat on crutches.
    Good take. With our 2 bigs out, it wasn't the most informative NWTRU, but we've got so many new guys they're trying still trying to figure out the basics. Jones standing next to Barefield - he's a stretch to be listed as 6-0, but he's built like a strong safety. He'll have to adjust to D1 length and athleticism. Hendrix is a very athletic wing at 6-5, but he knocked down a bunch of 3s. Defensively he could be a real difference maker.

Novak looks seasoned, like you'd expect a grad transfer from Europe to look.

Both clearly has great upside, as much as they had him running the point. Timmy Allen just knows how to play basketball. Just a freshman, he reminds me of a thicker, less experienced version of Will Clyburn.

Popoola looked understated, but watching him in warmups, he was knocking down 3s, his shot looks fine.

A lot of raw talent, the 3 seniors on the poster are PVD, Barefield and Novak. Yeah, we're really, *REALLY* young, but we'll see how it comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Good take. With our 2 bigs out, it wasn't the most informative NWTRU, but we've got so many new guys they're trying still trying to figure out the basics. Jones standing next to Barefield - he's a stretch to be listed as 6-0, but he's built like a strong safety. He'll have to adjust to D1 length and athleticism. Hendrix is a very athletic wing at 6-5, but he knocked down a bunch of 3s. Defensively he could be a real difference maker.

Novak looks seasoned, like you'd expect a grad transfer from Europe to look.

Both clearly has great upside, as much as they had him running the point. Timmy Allen just knows how to play basketball. Just a freshman, he reminds me of a thicker, less experienced version of Will Clyburn.

Popoola looked understated, but watching him in warmups, he was knocking down 3s, his shot looks fine.

A lot of raw talent, the 3 seniors on the poster are PVD, Barefield and Novak. Yeah, we're really, *REALLY* young, but we'll see how it comes together.
    I'm in on Gach scratch fever!
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Interesting twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Interesting twist.

Not sure that this is his motivation, but it would be nice if this ignited some excitement among the some of the students about the basketball program. Our student support in recent years had been weak. Sad for those of us that remember what the student section was like in the 80’s and 90’s.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-25-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

UW destroys Nevada in a "secret scrimmage". Interesting in that we play both teams. Anyone know who Utah is going to play against in its such game?

https://mwwire.com/2018/10/21/nevada...ton-scrimmage/

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I'm in on Gach scratch fever!
    The last time I was slamming the brakes hard on untested incoming freshman hype was with Poeltl. So maybe Gach has a bright future ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Utebuntu has tweeted that it's St Mary's, but I think I saw Goodman tweet that St Mary's already had a scrimmage. So...I don't know.
    I would have to assume that it is taking place either this weekend or early next week as Utah has an exhibition game next Thursday and then the regular season starts the following week.

Utah plays St Mary's this Saturday. Should be noted that St Mary's beat Stanford "easily", per Goodman. Should be a good test for our young group, to go against a well coached, disciplined team like the Gaels.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    Utah plays St Mary's this Saturday. Should be noted that St Mary's beat Stanford "easily", per Goodman. Should be a good test for our young group, to go against a well coached, disciplined team like the Gaels.
    Wait, St. Mary's gets to play 2 of these scrimmages? I thought you could only play 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Wait, St. Mary's gets to play 2 of these scrimmages? I thought you could only play 1.
    You can play 2 combined "exhibition" contests, be it a "secret scrimmage" vs a D1 team, or a public exhibition game like we have next Thursday vs College of Idaho. Typically, we do one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by 311ute View Post
    You can play 2 combined "exhibition" contests, be it a "secret scrimmage" vs a D1 team, or a public exhibition game like we have next Thursday vs College of Idaho. Typically, we do one of each.
    Correct. Villanova played both Virginia and UNC, IIRC. The option is there to do two. I'd be all for it.

No Utes vs Yotes thread?!?!

Freshman + freshman crimes.

Hard to take much of anything from that but we sure do have a lot of athleticism on this roster. I think top 9 will be Sed, Jones, Allen, Tillman, Johnson, Top, Gach, Hendrix, PVD with Battin getting some minutes here and there. Hard to see Pop and Gaskin breaking in for minutes unless there is an injury or two.

Looking forward to that game on the road against Minnesota.

Snicker... Norlander is going to be surprised.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...top-to-bottom/
    Screenshot from 2018-11-02 08-32-50.png

I think that game last night creates the perfect teaching situation for the coaches. First half - good defense leads to great offense. Second half - poor defense leads to poor offense.

We've never had more than an 8-man rotation under K, right? Looks like there are 10 contenders for those spots, so competition for minutes will be fierce.

Some subset of the Jones, PVD, Hendrix, Gach group will be left out at guard.
    Gach & Hendrix are too good & both are freshmen so will only get better--so they should play major minutes.

Jones or PVD. PVD is better than last year--gets his shot off quicker, but Jones is a much better defender. Neither one can play the point--

Allen & Tillman both have to start, both are really good & will be leading scorers--but neither one is a bruiser/rebounder inside type player.

I hope Battin gets enough minutes to stay happy/here; as he has potential.

they lost interest in 2nd half, plus Larry K had some bad combinations at times--but that was game to try certain groups.

They really need Jayce. Not sure I ever need to see Morley shoot another 3.

Gach & Hendrix are too good & both are freshmen so will only get better--so they should play major minutes.

Jones or PVD. PVD is better than last year--gets his shot off quicker, but Jones is a much better defender. Neither one can play the point--

Allen & Tillman both have to start, both are really good & will be leading scorers--but neither one is a bruiser/rebounder inside type player.

I hope Battin gets enough minutes to stay happy/here; as he has potential.

they lost interest in 2nd half, plus Larry K had some bad combinations at times--but that was game to try certain groups.

They really need Jayce. Not sure I ever need to see Morley shoot another 3.
    Good stuff, thanks OSU.

Let's hope Jayce can get/stay healthy. Do you expect Lahat to contribute this year?

With his injury Lahat probably out for the year. I saw him in practice, he is better than people realize. He is athletic, can run/jump; protect the rim & rebound.

It will be interesting next year with Jayce, Lahat, Van Komen, Branden Carlson back from his mission, Mikael Jantunen from Finland, Riley Battin & Donnie Tillman all at 4 & 5.

With his injury Lahat probably out for the year. I saw him in practice, he is better than people realize. He is athletic, can run/jump; protect the rim & rebound.

It will be interesting next year with Jayce, Lahat, Van Komen, Branden Carlson back from his mission, Mikael Jantunen from Finland, Riley Battin & Donnie Tillman all at 4 & 5.
    Yep, we're going from a guard-heavy team to a big-heavy team overnight, especially if the 2 guys we lose next year (given the scholarship crunch) are both guards, which is what I expect.

Seven teams in the league tip off tonight, with the most interesting game being Washington vs. WKU. The Hill toppers are ranked 23 in ESPN's pre-season BPI, and the only other team in action tonight that cracks the top 100 is IUPFW, who takes on UCLA.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

New 1-and-dones look good! Zion...that's a fun player to watch.

I think we know who the top team in the country is at this point. Sheesh......they flat-out boat raced a good Kentucky team. One of the most impressive performances I've ever seen.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I think we know who the top team in the country is at this point. Sheesh......they flat-out boat raced a good Kentucky team. One of the most impressive performances I've ever seen.
    I think the one and done era should end. Players who want to go straight to the NBA out of high school should be allowed to do so, but once they decide to play in college they should be required to stay and play for at least two years, maybe three. It would change college basketball for the better. For one thing, the incentive to cheat would be reduced greatly.

I understand the biggest obstacle to change like this is the NBA Players Association.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Ky as the Utes will learn is a good team with high level recruits. Even so, Duke just dominated them.

Zion & Barrett are both high lottery picks.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the one and done era should end. Players who want to go straight to the NBA out of high school should be allowed to do so, but once they decide to play in college they should be required to stay and play for at least two years, maybe three. It would change college basketball for the better. For one thing, the incentive to cheat would be reduced greatly.

I understand the biggest obstacle to change like this is the NBA Players Association.
    I completely agree with this. Look no further than what baseball has done. Can go pro and get drafted out of high school, but if you go to college it's for at least three years.

Anyone know what's going on with Popoola? We plumbed the depths of our bench in the MVSU game, but Pop got no playing time. Even Brooks King, Beau Rydalch, and Marc Reninger got time at the end,.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Anyone know what's going on with Popoola? We plumbed the depths of our bench in the MVSU game, but Pop got no playing time. Even Brooks King, Beau Rydalch, and Marc Reninger got time at the end,.
    I was wondering the same thing
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Redshirt? Gaskin didn't play either, right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Vante Hendrix has left the team for personal reasons. Reported the coaches want him back, so not a problem with talent or the coaching.

Vante Hendrix has left the team for personal reasons. Reported the coaches want him back, so not a problem with talent or the coaching.
    Bummer. I hope he finds his way back.