Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 basketball season

He just posted to instagram that he is transferring, said he wished the program well but hinted that its "not for him".

I don't think this season could have started any worse.

I understand the frustration, but hold judgement here on Larry or Vante until more facts come out. If they don't; thats all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I understand the frustration, but hold judgement here on Larry or Vante until more facts come out. If they don't; thats all the better.
    Ummm ... no. There needs to be an explanation as to why a rotation guy bails on the team after four games. Especially one who was with the program for all of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Ummm ... no. There needs to be an explanation as to why a rotation guy bails on the team after four games. Especially one who was with the program for all of last year.
    Just wait for the facts to come out.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 11-27-2018 at 06:59 PM.

This isn't on the coaches. They have bent over backwards for him. He has some significant family issues that have haunted him for a long time, well before he ever showed up to the U. He's dealing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    This isn't on the coaches. They have bent over backwards for him. He has some significant family issues that have haunted him for a long time, well before he ever showed up to the U. He's dealing with that.
    Any idea how his brother at UA is doing?

Just wait for the facts to come out.
    Facts as ascertained from the coaching staff by “sources” and without Vante’s side of the story? At least Devon Daniels had a history of trouble within the program. That sucked, but it was understandable. This one isn’t.

Facts as ascertained from the coaching staff by “sources” and without Vante’s side of the story? At least Devon Daniels had a history of trouble within the program. That sucked, but it was understandable. This one isn’t.
    If you're saying that you think Larry k and co. are out there crafting a story to throw this kid under the bus to cover their own backside, then nothing I say will change will your mind.

If you're saying that you think Larry k and co. are out there crafting a story to throw this kid under the bus to cover their own backside, then nothing I say will change will your mind.
    maybe we'll see some of the same cohesion that occurred with the football team when Tuttle bolted

Larry does seem to have the magic to lead his teams to the top of the conference every year.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 11-28-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    maybe we'll see some of the same cohesion that occurred with the football team when Tuttle bolted

Larry does seem to have the magic to lead his teams to the top of the conference every year.
    Well, Vante was already gone by this past Sunday's game against Northwestern and, woo boy, let's just say it didn't result in anything resembling cohesion.

Byu loses to Weber tonight 113 - 103

Per Utebuntu, sounds like Popoola has been granted his release to transfer.

Per Utebuntu, sounds like Popoola has been granted his release to transfer.
    Really nice, friendly kid, enjoyed interacting with him at FanFest. It was pretty clear he wasn't going to be a contributor on the basketball court and I was pretty sure he was going to be gone by the end of the season anyway (with Utah being oversigned).

Utah looked like they might have been overloaded at guard but now may have a guard depth issue going forward.

In light of the Hendrix transfer this will be viewed as a lot bigger deal than it should be, especially by the anti-Larry crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Really nice, friendly kid, enjoyed interacting with him at FanFest. It was pretty clear he wasn't going to be a contributor on the basketball court and I was pretty sure he was going to be gone by the end of the season anyway (with Utah being oversigned).

Utah looked like they might have been overloaded at guard but now may have a guard depth issue going forward.

In light of the Hendrix transfer this will be viewed as a lot bigger deal than it should be, especially by the anti-Larry crowd.
    I wonder if we will look to grab a grad transfer PG, ala Bibbins to come in and help the guys along while Rylan gets up to speed next year.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post

Popoola leaving isn’t a big deal. Smart people see there’s a difference between his departure and Vante’s.

Now, what this staff saw in him to snatch him late from BYU, but to sour on him almost immediately upon arriving in the program — that’s fair game and it would be nice to get some insight as to the decision-making process by the staff.

Popoola leaving isn’t a big deal. Smart people see there’s a difference between his departure and Vante’s.

Now, what this staff saw in him to snatch him late from BYU, but to sour on him almost immediately upon arriving in the program — that’s fair game and it would be nice to get some insight as to the decision-making process by the staff.
    I don't have an answer to that, other than the fact that Utah signed him at a time when they were really struggling to fill out a roster. It was in a cycle where they missed on several high profile recruits and had some transfers (Daniels and Zamora) and ended up with Pop and Kobe Caldwell as roster filler. The fact that BYU people didn't seem to mind Utah "stealing" him probably should have told us all we needed to know.

Looking back on his recruitment; I don't know that we really stole him from BYU. He had committed there and then hadn't signed with them in the fall (no idea who soured on who there) and like I always say, if a kid has an opportunity to sign and doesn't, he should no longer be considered a commit. I think it is as UBlender said; we were (as we seemingly always are) looking for players to fill out the roster in the spring. He was a) available and b) very very athletic. They took a chance on him that that athleticism could be molded into a serviceable player. Looks like in this case the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe he should walk on to the football team.
    Does he have good hands?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

in the It Could Always be Worse Dept.:

Between 2014 and 2016, Ernie Kent signed 17 players.

71% of them have now transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    in the It Could Always be Worse Dept.:

Between 2014 and 2016, Ernie Kent signed 17 players.

71% of them have now transferred.

2016 was Larry's worst year for transfers and even with that, I'm not sure we are over 50%.

Im trying to find the wins.

Are we beating either az school?

0-4

Do we beat oregon schools? Maybe ore st at home?

1-7

We split @ nocal
    2-8

We split wash schools?

4-10

Split with colo?
    5-11

We beat socal @ home?

5-13
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Im trying to find the wins.

Are we beating either az school?

0-4

Do we beat oregon schools? Maybe ore st at home?

1-7

We split @ nocal
    2-8

We split wash schools?

4-10

Split with colo?
    5-11

We beat socal @ home?

5-13
    We'll get ASU at least once, and we'll surprise someone on the road and at home. 8-10.

Larry made it official last night, announcing that Pop has left the team but that he will always be a ute and that Pop handled it well.

Interesting that in last nights game both Barefield and Tillman did not start. They both entered the game at about the 15 minute mark. Tillman proceeded to make a lazy pass that was stolen and was immediately relegated to the bench. Later in the half, Barefield made one of his patented dribble through 3 defenders and lose the ball plays and went to the bench. I am happy to see LK hold players accountable for lazy and stupid plays.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Interesting that in last nights game both Barefield and Tillman did not start. They both entered the game at about the 15 minute mark. Tillman proceeded to make a lazy pass that was stolen and was immediately relegated to the bench. Later in the half, Barefield made one of his patented dribble through 3 defenders and lose the ball plays and went to the bench. I am happy to see LK hold players accountable for lazy and stupid plays.
    Until they transfer because Larry is super mean to them, at which point Larry will be criticized for not being player-friendly.

*I realize Barefiled is a senior and not going anywhere, but this post addresses the larger issue generally.

Barefield did up his D intensity--which is a low bar, because not his interest in life---in the second half.

And Tillman hit the boards & attacked the basket with new vigor, so maybe the bench was good for them. Interesting to see who he starts on Friday.

Not sure where Pop will go---he is not a D-1 level talent. He could be a star at Westminster.

Barefield and Tillman did not start agains against NAU. Barefield came in and looked energized and determined. Tillman, just the opposite. Right now, Allen and Battin are playing harder and better than Tillman. I have really liked what I have seen from Battin. He needs to gain some upper body strength, but I think he has a nice upside. Allen needs to improve his outside shot. I like Gach.

I don't think the Utes beat Nevada, but I hope they come out and compete.

I thought the Utes did come out and compete. I can't remember another game this year when I felt they were playing with as much energy. Nevada has better players at every position, but I liked the competitiveness of the team. I really liked Tillman. He was pounding the boards. Although Nevada forced a lot of turnovers there are too many self-inflicted turnovers. Defense is a problem. Are we a zone or a man team. What good does it do to play man against inferior teams if we are going to play zone against better teams?

Bol Bol of Oregon out for the year—-PAC 12 continues to crumble this year.

Utes might actually win some home games.