Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 59 of 59

Thread: 2018-19 basketball season

  1. #31
    Ky as the Utes will learn is a good team with high level recruits. Even so, Duke just dominated them.

    Zion & Barrett are both high lottery picks.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the one and done era should end. Players who want to go straight to the NBA out of high school should be allowed to do so, but once they decide to play in college they should be required to stay and play for at least two years, maybe three. It would change college basketball for the better. For one thing, the incentive to cheat would be reduced greatly.

    I understand the biggest obstacle to change like this is the NBA Players Association.
    I completely agree with this. Look no further than what baseball has done. Can go pro and get drafted out of high school, but if you go to college it's for at least three years.

  3. #33
    Anyone know what's going on with Popoola? We plumbed the depths of our bench in the MVSU game, but Pop got no playing time. Even Brooks King, Beau Rydalch, and Marc Reninger got time at the end,.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Anyone know what's going on with Popoola? We plumbed the depths of our bench in the MVSU game, but Pop got no playing time. Even Brooks King, Beau Rydalch, and Marc Reninger got time at the end,.
    I was wondering the same thing
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Anyone know what's going on with Popoola? We plumbed the depths of our bench in the MVSU game, but Pop got no playing time. Even Brooks King, Beau Rydalch, and Marc Reninger got time at the end,.
    Redshirt? Gaskin didn't play either, right?

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  6. #36
    Vante Hendrix has left the team for personal reasons. Reported the coaches want him back, so not a problem with talent or the coaching.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Vante Hendrix has left the team for personal reasons. Reported the coaches want him back, so not a problem with talent or the coaching.
    Bummer. I hope he finds his way back.

  8. #38
    He just posted to instagram that he is transferring, said he wished the program well but hinted that its "not for him".

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    He just posted to instagram that he is transferring, said he wished the program well but hinted that its "not for him".
    Bummer. I like him. But that helps settle the guard rotation.

  10. #40
    I don't think this season could have started any worse.

  11. #41
    I understand the frustration, but hold judgement here on Larry or Vante until more facts come out. If they don't; thats all the better.

  12. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I understand the frustration, but hold judgement here on Larry or Vante until more facts come out. If they don't; thats all the better.
    Ummm ... no. There needs to be an explanation as to why a rotation guy bails on the team after four games. Especially one who was with the program for all of last year.

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Ummm ... no. There needs to be an explanation as to why a rotation guy bails on the team after four games. Especially one who was with the program for all of last year.
    Just wait for the facts to come out.
    Last edited by UtahsMrSports; 11-27-2018 at 07:59 PM.

  14. #44
    This isn't on the coaches. They have bent over backwards for him. He has some significant family issues that have haunted him for a long time, well before he ever showed up to the U. He's dealing with that.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    This isn't on the coaches. They have bent over backwards for him. He has some significant family issues that have haunted him for a long time, well before he ever showed up to the U. He's dealing with that.
    Any idea how his brother at UA is doing?

  16. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Just wait for the facts to come out.
    Facts as ascertained from the coaching staff by “sources” and without Vante’s side of the story? At least Devon Daniels had a history of trouble within the program. That sucked, but it was understandable. This one isn’t.

  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Facts as ascertained from the coaching staff by “sources” and without Vante’s side of the story? At least Devon Daniels had a history of trouble within the program. That sucked, but it was understandable. This one isn’t.
    If you're saying that you think Larry k and co. are out there crafting a story to throw this kid under the bus to cover their own backside, then nothing I say will change will your mind.

  18. #48
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    If you're saying that you think Larry k and co. are out there crafting a story to throw this kid under the bus to cover their own backside, then nothing I say will change will your mind.
    maybe we'll see some of the same cohesion that occurred with the football team when Tuttle bolted

    Larry does seem to have the magic to lead his teams to the top of the conference every year.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 11-28-2018 at 10:19 AM.

  19. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    maybe we'll see some of the same cohesion that occurred with the football team when Tuttle bolted

    Larry does seem to have the magic to lead his teams to the top of the conference every year.
    Well, Vante was already gone by this past Sunday's game against Northwestern and, woo boy, let's just say it didn't result in anything resembling cohesion.

  20. #50
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,242
    Byu loses to Weber tonight 113 - 103

  21. #51
    Per Utebuntu, sounds like Popoola has been granted his release to transfer.

  22. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Per Utebuntu, sounds like Popoola has been granted his release to transfer.
    Really nice, friendly kid, enjoyed interacting with him at FanFest. It was pretty clear he wasn't going to be a contributor on the basketball court and I was pretty sure he was going to be gone by the end of the season anyway (with Utah being oversigned).

    Utah looked like they might have been overloaded at guard but now may have a guard depth issue going forward.

    In light of the Hendrix transfer this will be viewed as a lot bigger deal than it should be, especially by the anti-Larry crowd.

  23. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Really nice, friendly kid, enjoyed interacting with him at FanFest. It was pretty clear he wasn't going to be a contributor on the basketball court and I was pretty sure he was going to be gone by the end of the season anyway (with Utah being oversigned).

    Utah looked like they might have been overloaded at guard but now may have a guard depth issue going forward.

    In light of the Hendrix transfer this will be viewed as a lot bigger deal than it should be, especially by the anti-Larry crowd.
    I wonder if we will look to grab a grad transfer PG, ala Bibbins to come in and help the guys along while Rylan gets up to speed next year.

  24. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Really nice, friendly kid, enjoyed interacting with him at FanFest. It was pretty clear he wasn't going to be a contributor on the basketball court and I was pretty sure he was going to be gone by the end of the season anyway (with Utah being oversigned).

    Utah looked like they might have been overloaded at guard but now may have a guard depth issue going forward.

    In light of the Hendrix transfer this will be viewed as a lot bigger deal than it should be, especially by the anti-Larry crowd.
    Popoola leaving isn’t a big deal. Smart people see there’s a difference between his departure and Vante’s.

    Now, what this staff saw in him to snatch him late from BYU, but to sour on him almost immediately upon arriving in the program — that’s fair game and it would be nice to get some insight as to the decision-making process by the staff.

  25. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Popoola leaving isn’t a big deal. Smart people see there’s a difference between his departure and Vante’s.

    Now, what this staff saw in him to snatch him late from BYU, but to sour on him almost immediately upon arriving in the program — that’s fair game and it would be nice to get some insight as to the decision-making process by the staff.
    I don't have an answer to that, other than the fact that Utah signed him at a time when they were really struggling to fill out a roster. It was in a cycle where they missed on several high profile recruits and had some transfers (Daniels and Zamora) and ended up with Pop and Kobe Caldwell as roster filler. The fact that BYU people didn't seem to mind Utah "stealing" him probably should have told us all we needed to know.

  26. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Popoola leaving isn’t a big deal. Smart people see there’s a difference between his departure and Vante’s.

    Now, what this staff saw in him to snatch him late from BYU, but to sour on him almost immediately upon arriving in the program — that’s fair game and it would be nice to get some insight as to the decision-making process by the staff.
    Looking back on his recruitment; I don't know that we really stole him from BYU. He had committed there and then hadn't signed with them in the fall (no idea who soured on who there) and like I always say, if a kid has an opportunity to sign and doesn't, he should no longer be considered a commit. I think it is as UBlender said; we were (as we seemingly always are) looking for players to fill out the roster in the spring. He was a) available and b) very very athletic. They took a chance on him that that athleticism could be molded into a serviceable player. Looks like in this case the answer is no.

  27. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    He was a) available and b) very very athletic. They took a chance on him that that athleticism could be molded into a serviceable player.
    Maybe he should walk on to the football team.

  28. #58
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,699
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe he should walk on to the football team.
    Does he have good hands?

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  29. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Does he have good hands?
    I was thinking safety.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •