Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 basketball season

Please use this thread to talk about the games this year

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I wasn't sure if this was 2018-19 NCAA bball or 18-19 Utah bball.
    Well for the rest of the year let's have a thread for each week

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Well for the rest of the year let's have a thread for each week

Good idea. That tradition was falling off.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Vance Hendrix ends up at Fresno State.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I wish him well. Hopefully being closer to his support system will help him. I may have to start paying closer attention to Fresno with seeley and now Hendrix there.

2018-19 basketball season

Now this is an interesting surprise. Our arena is probably just a little too big for today’s college sports world. On-campus college football stadiums are also getting smaller, which is one reason we’re increasing only to just under 52,000.

Last edited by LA Ute; 01-24-2019 at 08:25 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Looking ahead to Vegas ...

Only three teams have gone 11-7 in Pac-12 play and not earned a top 4 seed (Colorado and UCLA in 2011-12; Stanford last year). Every team that has gone 12-6 has finished in the top 4. I'm not going to bother with all the details into this specific line of thinking, but the league is shaping up a lot to be like that first year as opposed to last year.

Utah is at 5-2. We have 7 home games left. We also have a road game at Wazzu. Having already "overperformed" on the road with three wins, I'm going to say we lose the SoCal road trip, and at Washington as well. That leaves us with 8 games to win 6. That will likely get us a bye in Vegas, with a chance we're left out on the wrong end of a tiebreaker.

Since first tiebreaker is head-to-head, it would be an added benefit this weekend to sweep, since we don't travel to the Oregon schools this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post

Only three teams have gone 11-7 in Pac-12 play and not earned a top 4 seed (Colorado and UCLA in 2011-12; Stanford last year). Every team that has gone 12-6 has finished in the top 4. I'm not going to bother with all the details into this specific line of thinking, but the league is shaping up a lot to be like that first year as opposed to last year.

Utah is at 5-2. We have 7 home games left. We also have a road game at Wazzu. Having already "overperformed" on the road with three wins, I'm going to say we lose the SoCal road trip, and at Washington as well. That leaves us with 8 games to win 6. That will likely get us a bye in Vegas, with a chance we're left out on the wrong end of a tiebreaker.

Since first tiebreaker is head-to-head, it would be an added benefit this weekend to sweep, since we don't travel to the Oregon schools this year.
    I'm feeling a 2-2 record over the next 4 games, with a split both at home and in southern Cal. I think we lose to OSU, because they are kind of our basketball kryptonite, and seem to be playing well. But with as well as this team has played on the road in conference, I could see us beating UCLA.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Hate to be the fact-check guy, but only six home games left - Oregon schools, AZ schools, SoCal schools. That leaves 5 on the road - SoCal trip, Washington trip, Colorado.

So, with your assumptions of getting swept in SoCal and splitting in Washington, we would need either of the following to hit 11-7:
    1. 4-2 in the remaining home games and win in Boulder
    2. 5-1 at home and lose in Boulder.

Still doable, but a little more daunting than if 7 were at home.

Quote Originally Posted by redastheycome View Post
    Hate to be the fact-check guy, but only six home games left - Oregon schools, AZ schools, SoCal schools. That leaves 5 on the road - SoCal trip, Washington trip, Colorado.

So, with your assumptions of getting swept in SoCal and splitting in Washington, we would need either of the following to hit 11-7:
    1. 4-2 in the remaining home games and win in Boulder
    2. 5-1 at home and lose in Boulder.

Still doable, but a little more daunting than if 7 were at home.
    My bad. Got the CU site mixed up. I still think we win in Boulder.

With 9 games to go, we are in 6th place and in a 5-4 logjam with UCLA and Arizona, both of whom play at home this weekend, as well as Oregon and Stanford (4-5). Oregon gets Stanford and Cal this weekend, so they are very likely to get to 6-5. We could easily fall to 8th by the end of the weekend if we can't manage a split against USC and UCLA...and there's not a lot of evidence to suggest we'll get one at the moment.

For me, the last 9 games of this year are about the young guys. At 5-2, you've well exceeded expectations and are playing with house money. At 5-4, you've now been brought back down to earth, and are on the wrong side of the 5/4 home road split (though two of those games are @ CU and @ WSU). Maybe a split this weekend gives you some life, but it is hard to see it at this point.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

My bad. Got the CU site mixed up. I still think we win in Boulder.
    Of course, CU then goes out and blows Oregon out of the water. I don't know what to think about our game at CU, but knowing they'll have McKinley Wright back -- I know we're in for a much tougher game than what we had in SLC.

Of course, CU then goes out and blows Oregon out of the water. I don't know what to think about our game at CU, but knowing they'll have McKinley Wright back -- I know we're in for a much tougher game than what we had in SLC.
    Their game vs. Oregon was kind of like our game vs. them earlier this year. The stars just aligned for a blowout. I don't think they'll play as good, but they are certainly capable of beating us...plus it will be our third road tilt in a row, though we will be coming off a road game in Pullman, so hopefully that helps.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    With 9 games to go, we are in 6th place and in a 5-4 logjam with UCLA and Arizona, both of whom play at home this weekend, as well as Oregon and Stanford (4-5). Oregon gets Stanford and Cal this weekend, so they are very likely to get to 6-5. We could easily fall to 8th by the end of the weekend if we can't manage a split against USC and UCLA...and there's not a lot of evidence to suggest we'll get one at the moment.

For me, the last 9 games of this year are about the young guys. At 5-2, you've well exceeded expectations and are playing with house money. At 5-4, you've now been brought back down to earth, and are on the wrong side of the 5/4 home road split (though two of those games are @ CU and @ WSU). Maybe a split this weekend gives you some life, but it is hard to see it at this point.
    There wasn't much evidence of us being able to split the Arizona road trip either. So I still have a glimmer of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    There wasn't much evidence of us being able to split the Arizona road trip either. So I still have a glimmer of hope.
    Yup. At our best, we can beat anyone in the Pac-12. At our worst, we can lose to anyone. Stealing one in LA is certainly possible.

Just like I said...I have every reason to believe they'll at least get a split!

Just like I said...I have every reason to believe they'll at least get a split!
    I hope UCLA comes out as amazingly flat as USC did. I empathized with USC fans. I didn’t feel a bit sorry for them, however.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yup. At our best, we can beat anyone in the Pac-12. At our worst, we can lose to anyone. Stealing one in LA is certainly possible.
    I'll do it for you ...

Swish!

I'll do it for you ...

Swish!
    Hey, I was just paraphrasing DnF.

Welp, I pretty much whiffed on this one...and I'm certainly happy to have been wrong, though I will say this, the emergence of the young guys has helped this team. Battin and Allen were studs against UCLA, and Gach's 3 to bring us within one was CLUTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'm feeling a 2-2 record over the next 4 games. . . I could see us beating UCLA.
    Nailed it!

We are around 90 in the NCAA's net rankings. With 6 games to go, we play above our ranking 3 times (ASU, UW, and CU) and below 3 times (WSU, UCLA, and USC).

Our most important games going forward for the first round bye in order of importance

1. @Colorado
    2. USC
    3. @ Wash (tiebreaker purposes)
    4. @ Wazzu
    5. UCLA

Utah and ASU (has the tiebreaker) have a 1 game lead on Colo, Stanford and USC. Ore St has 1.5 lead but ASU has the tiebreaker with them as well and OSU has the tiebreaker with us.

Ore st has:
    @ SOCAL
    Arizonas
    @Washingtons
    Predicted finish 13-5 2nd place

ASU
    NoCALs - We need Stanford to win
    @ Oregons We need Ore St to win
    @Arizona
    Predicted Finish 11-7 3rd Place

Our most important games going forward for the first round bye in order of importance
    I think we lose to CU, UW, and one of the LA schools to finish 10-8.

The first round bye would be nice. The only way to turn this season into a smashing success is to win it all in Vegas and steal a bid from someone. Let's say our odds vs the middle of the Pac-12 (everyone but UW, Cal, and WSU) are 50/50. Let's say our odds against the extremes are 75/25. Then our odds of winning in Vegas (assuming we see UW along the way) are:

With a first round bye: (1/2)(1/2)(1/4) = 6%

Without a first round bye but seeing one of the bad teams: (3/4)(1/2)(1/2)(1/4) = 5%

Without a first round bye and not seeing one of the bad teams: (1/2)(1/2)(1/2)(1/4) = 3%

This doesn't take anything like fatigue, momentum, etc into account. The point is that, even under the best regular season outcome, our odds of winning in Vegas are extremely small.

Will at least wazzu beat Colorado

Will at least wazzu beat Colorado
    We could really use a buffer heading into Boulder. Being 9-6 would certainly accomplish that if they are 7-8.

Given that both OSU and Oregon hold tiebreakers over us head to head, last night's results seem favorable for our hopes of a first round bye in Vegas. The schedule doesn't do the Oregon Schools any favors down the stretch with hosting the Arizona schools and visiting Washington the last weekend - unless Washington decides to save its legs for the tournament.

Given that both OSU and Oregon hold tiebreakers over us head to head, last night's results seem favorable for our hopes of a first round bye in Vegas. The schedule doesn't do the Oregon Schools any favors down the stretch with hosting the Arizona schools and visiting Washington the last weekend - unless Washington decides to save its legs for the tournament.
    It wouldn't make any sense for UW to want to rest for the PAC 12 tournament. They are the one team that can and will be in regardless of what they do in Vegas, but they will want to accumulate as many wins as they can to help their seeding and the Oregon schools would give them a couple of solid (Tier 2?) wins.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    It wouldn't make any sense for UW to want to rest for the PAC 12 tournament. They are the one team that can and will be in regardless of what they do in Vegas, but they will want to accumulate as many wins as they can to help their seeding and the Oregon schools would give them a couple of solid (Tier 2?) wins.
    I hope so. Then they can gracefully bow out in the Pac-12 tournament so our league can get more teams in!

What is our best case scenario?

My thought is that we go in as the 4 seed and get the 5/12 winner of Cal vs. Colorado with ASU as the 2, OSU as the 3 (potentially playing rivalry games in their first round matchups). Even more so than avoiding the Huskies, I would think we'd want to avoid ASU and OSU. What do you think?