Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reign in the desert: Utah at Arizona State

Reign in the desert: Utah at Arizona State

ASU and Wazzu always seem to play well against us. I am not confident about this one.

Especially when ASU is doing things like this:

Talk me off the ledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    ASU and Wazzu always seem to play well against us. I am not confident about this one.

Especially when ASU is doing things like this:

Talk me off the ledge.

https://goo.gl/images/G3RvT7
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Lol!!!
    I was talking him off the ledge
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I was talking him off the ledge
    He should be off the ledge now!

Despite MRD's helpful visual, the game this week petrifies me. ASU has an experienced QB that can run a bit, a stud RB in Benjamin (who should be a Ute!), and a 6 star wideout in K'neal. That is a pretty solid bunch and they will challenge our D.

I think a lot of people are looking past this game to Oregon, probably because ASU's record is not that great. But consider that they beat Michigan State (currently ranked) and USC on the road (only really, really good teams do that). Their losses have all been respectable: @ Colorado by 7; Stanford by 7; @ Washington by 7; @ SDSU by 7. I think our only chance in this game is to win by 7. Throw those in with an absolute mauling of the Beavers and UTSA, and I think we're playing one of the most complete teams we've seen this year.

Despite MRD's helpful visual, the game this week petrifies me. ASU has an experienced QB that can run a bit, a stud RB in Benjamin (who should be a Ute!), and a 6 star wideout in K'neal. That is a pretty solid bunch and they will challenge our D.

I think a lot of people are looking past this game to Oregon, probably because ASU's record is not that great. But consider that they beat Michigan State (currently ranked) and USC on the road (only really, really good teams do that). Their losses have all been respectable: @ Colorado by 7; Stanford by 7; @ Washington by 7; @ SDSU by 7. I think our only chance in this game is to win by 7. Throw those in with an absolute mauling of the Beavers and UTSA, and I think we're playing one of the most complete teams we've seen this year.

via GIPHY

You've hit on two things that worry me too: (1) We have had trouble, as Kyle has acknowledged, with opposing QBs escaping our pass rush and running for extra yards. often first downs. (2) Opposing QBs have been able to pick our D apart with 10-20 yard passes. So far that has not really hurt us. We'll have to do better at those weaknesses in this game. If it's close, those things really matter.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

You've all convinced me to temper my expectations on this game. Utah 41-2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    You've all convinced me to temper my expectations on this game. Utah 41-2

If this is the case, we should do something the Steelers forgot to do and work on our free kick fielding techniques.

Some of you worry way too damn much ... Only Utah beats Utah in this game. It sure the heck isn't going to be Arizona State that beats us. Too many things would have to go against season-long trends for us to lose.

ASU has broken 21 points in only three games this year. They are 69th in scoring offense. By comparison, Arizona is 65th, and has been without its starting QB for several games. ASU may have some potent weapons -- but getting into the end zone isn't a strength for the team as a whole.

Those three games ASU did break 21 points in? Average total defense ranking of 87. Shoot, this is a team that's struggled to score against bad defenses, getting only 13 points at home against Stanford, which is (coincidentally enough) 87th nationally in total defense.

Facing Utah's run defense won't surprise ASU. Because even at No. 3 nationally, Utah will be the third toughest run defense ASU has faced. That's right -- they've faced Nos. 1 and 2 in Michigan State and San Diego State. Yes, ASU actually did go 1-1 in those games, and almost went 2-0. But here's the catch: Michigan State is 105th in total offense, SDSU is 112th. Utah actually has an offense this year, and is 46th nationally in total offense.

Utah is favored by 7 per Vegas, should be favored by 8.5 per Sagarin, and is probably the Pac-12's biggest road over-performer since the league expanded to 12 teams. I laid the points against UCLA and I'll lay them again vs. ASU. The extra day of rest and prep should help as well. I shouldn't even have to sweat a back-door cover in this one -- Utes by 17.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 10-29-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Some of you worry way too damn much ... Only Utah beats Utah in this game. It sure the heck isn't going to be Arizona State that beats us. Too many things would have to go against season-long trends for us to lose.

ASU has broken 21 points in only three games this year. They are 69th in scoring offense. By comparison, Arizona is 65th, and has been without its starting QB for several games. ASU may have some potent weapons -- but getting into the end zone isn't a strength for the team as a whole.

Those three games ASU did break 21 points in? Average total defense ranking of 87. Shoot, this is a team that's struggled to score against bad defenses, getting only 13 points at home against Stanford, which is (coincidentally enough) 87th nationally in total defense.

Facing Utah's run defense won't surprise ASU. Because even at No. 3 nationally, Utah will be the third toughest run defense ASU has faced. That's right -- they've faced Nos. 1 and 2 in Michigan State and San Diego State. Yes, ASU actually did go 1-1 in those games, and almost went 2-0. But here's the catch: Michigan State is 105th in total offense, SDSU is 112th. Utah actually has an offense this year, and is 46th nationally in total offense.

Utah is favored by 7 per Vegas, should be favored by 8.5 per Sagarin, and is probably the Pac-12's biggest road over-performer since the league expanded to 12 teams. I laid the points against UCLA and I'll lay them again vs. ASU. The extra day of rest and prep should help as well. I shouldn't even have to sweat a back-door cover in this one -- Utes by 17.
    What is their defense ranked--total, against the pass and run? They gave up a ton of points to Jack Sears once he felt comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What is their defense ranked--total, against the pass and run?
    Any defense that stops our run game has a chance to beat us. It all starts on the ground for us.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What is their defense ranked--total, against the pass and run? They gave up a ton of points to Jack Sears once he felt comfortable.
    65th against the run, 72nd against the pass, 52nd in yards per play, but 40th in scoring defense. But they're 7th in TFL and 35th in sacks, so that accounts for the discrepancy in total defense and scoring defense.

An optimistic breakdown of the numbers from Dave Bartoo.

If I heard him right our opponents over the last four weeks have been averaging offenses ranked 100+ out of the total D1 teams? So our defense is good but we have also been going against some pretty poor offensive scoring teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    If I heard him right our opponents over the last four weeks have been averaging offenses ranked 100+ out of the total D1 teams? So our defense is good but we have also been going against some pretty poor offensive scoring teams.
    Chicken and egg..

Did we dominate them because they suck, or did they suck because we dominated them?

I’m just hoping ASU’s talent doesn’t gel.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m just hoping ASU’s talent doesn’t gel.
    Looking pretty gelled. Utah’s offense looking a little 2017 lately.

Looks like ASU is going to stack the box and force Huntley to beat them with his arm. Let’s see what happens.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Looks like ASU is going to stack the box and force Huntley to beat them with his arm. Let’s see what happens.
    No longer up to Huntley’s arm.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

We are one turned ankle or sore shoulder away from having Drew Lisk as our QB.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Cornerbacks are being abused today.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    We are one turned ankle or sore shoulder away from having Drew Lisk as our QB.
    If he were on the team, Tuttle would be in at QB on the next drive.

Reign in the desert: Utah at Arizona State

Pac-12 commentators are awful

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Pac-12 commentators are awful

Yeah, they've been unabashedly rooting for ASU since the first play. It just adds to my frustration watching this game. I hate playing ASU without all the crap that's happened this game.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AnestheUte View Post
    Yeah, they've been unabashedly rooting for ASU since the first play. It just adds to my frustration watching this game. I hate playing ASU without all the crap that's happened this game.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Broken collar bone for Huntley

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Broken collar bone for Huntley
    That’s going to be hard for the team to survive

Covey’s occasional rewards are not worth his constant drops

Game. Set. Season. Hello, Las Vegas Bowl...