Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking into the Cristobal - Utah vs. Oregon 2018

Shelley with 18 of 31 (51%) for 262 yards. No passing TD’s or interceptions. Not great, but also not bad for his first start.

Shyne with 174 yards on 26 carries (6.7 yards per carry). No fumbles or injury, which is what he has been mostly known for.

Pretty good week for the next guys up.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-10-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

As I saw it, the Oregon receiver was on his back with 4 seconds left. They should have been able to spike it.

Oh well.

Way to fight back. Not the smoothest game we've had but credit to Shelley for playing to win and playing really pretty composed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Ok oregon now beat asu next week
    I wanted the crowd to start chanting "Beat ASU!" After the game.

With the circumstances, that was as enjoyable a win as we have had in years. You could just feel it.

Whitt said in the Post game, Moss hurt his knee climbing into bed

I was impressed all game long with Shelley's poise and confidence. There's hope!

Early stats breakdown from the offiicial Utah site:

Utah raises its record against Oregon to 10-22 all-time and 2-4 since joining the Pac-12.

Utah held Oregon to four yards of total offense in the first quarter.

Utah's 16-play scoring drive in the second quarter (culminating in a 20-yard field goal by Matt Gay) was Utah's longest scoring drive of the year by number of plays.

Utah's 12 tackles for loss tied the Utes season high (12 vs. Weber State).

Matt Gay set a school record for field goals made in a game with a 6-for-6 performance, passing the previous record of five set by Joe Phillips vs. BYU in 2009. He also tied the school record for points in a game by a kicker with Joe Phillips who had 20 against Iowa State in 2009. It was the second time this season he has made at least four field goals in a game (4-for-4 vs. Stanford) and the fourth time in his career. Gay had a season-long 55-yard field goal, his sixth career 50+ field goal (first this season), which increases his school record in the category. Gay has 18-straight field goals, tying Joe Phillips (2009-10) for the school record.

In his first career start at quarterback, Jason Shelley threw for 262 yards passing (18-of-31, 0 TD, 0 INT). He also had 22 yards rushing with two rushing touchdowns, the first scores of his career.

Armand Shyne led Utah in rushing with a career-high 174 yards on 26 carries, his second career (first this season) 100-yard rushing game (101 vs. Arizona, 2016, which was also his last career start before today). He had two 40+ rushes, including a career-long 42-yard rush in the first quarter for a career long and the third-longest rush on the team this year.

Cole Fotheringham led Utah with a career-high 76 yards receiving on five catches, including a career-long 40-yard catch.

Chase Hansen had 13 tackles, his fourth double-figure tackle game of the season and sixth of his career. His 3.5 tackles for loss (one sack) was a career high, bringing his season total to 19, which is the fourth-most in a season at Utah.

Cody Barton had 11 tackles, his fourth double-figure tackle game this season (seventh career). His three TFL (one sack) tied his career high. He also had 3.0 TFL against Arizona State in 2016.

Mitch Wishnowsky had a career-long 68-yard punt in the third quarter. His previous career long was 66 yards, done in the first game of his career in 2016. Wishnowsky's four punts were all over 50 yards (57.2 average), bringing his season total to 16 and his career total to 58 (second all-time at Utah).

Attendance was 46,275, the 13th-largest crowd in Utah history and the 56th-straight sellout at Rice-Eccles Stadium since the 2010 season opener. It is the 52nd standing-room only crowd in that streak.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm so conditioned as a negative Ute fan that when things started falling apart in the second half I was saying, "I KNEW IT!"

The response was impressive, and I like that there are a number of guys on the offense who want the ball with winning in mind. Do you get what I mean? Just the, "do-whatever-it-takes-to-win-and-I'm-gonna-do-it-if-I-have-to" attitude.

Finally, sticking with the run late in the game is critical for Utah. For many seasons now our RBs get their yardage late in the game after a few quarters of punishment from them and our OLine. We saw that as Shyne started to get consistent 6+ yard carries in the last two drives.

Chase Hansen and Cody Barton were everywhere. Unbelievable night for them. Their pressure caused Oregon to completely alter their game.

I like the fight in this team.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    How bout the TEs?

That's our 2nd blocked punt of the season. Better take a look at that before there's a third time.
    Mitch just held the ball too long.

This Shelley kid is going to become a fan favorite. “We just wanted to get Matt Gay some field goals.” Nice.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Mitch just held the ball too long.

And Nick Ford missed his block. Correctable error for the true freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Whitt said in the Post game, Moss hurt his knee climbing into bed
    It certainly was an older injury, but that was the moment it displaced and locked up his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    It certainly was an older injury, but that was the moment it displaced and locked up his knee.
    May be a discoid meniscus - congenital issue where the meniscus is abnormally thick. May have already had a partial tear that became complete and then displaced into the knee. He has limped off the field a few times this year. Wonder if it is related
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Shyne with 174 yards on 26 carries (6.7 yards per carry). No fumbles or injury, which is what he has been mostly known for.
    I was pretty surprised when they announced Shyne’s stats at the end of the game. I know he had the two long runs but the game just didn’t feel like 175 yards. I’m also surprised that we didn’t see more of TJ Green. I think he only had one run that was up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    And Nick Ford missed his block. Correctable error for the redshirt freshman.
    FIFY

The best part of this clip of Matt Gay’s long field goal is at the end, you can see that Oregon had put a guy in the end zone to run it back when it was short. Silly rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    The best part of this clip of Matt Gay’s long field goal is at the end, you can see that Oregon had put a guy in the end zone to run it back when it was short. Silly rabbits.

Sitting in the south end zone we started laughing when they put him back there.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He had the two long runs, and then he crushed them on the final drive to run out the clock.

He had 26 carries for an average of almost 7 ypc. Here are his carries by yardage:

1,2,42,3,0,2,5,2,6,2,0,1,1,0,6,3,42,4,0,16,6,7,4,2 0,-1,0

There were a lot of runs for 2 and under, including a stretch of 5 carries in a row. I think that's why it felt like fewer than 175 yards.
    And several such carries in goal-to-go situations.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Shelley with 18 of 31 (51%) for 262 yards. No passing TD’s or interceptions. Not great, but also not bad for his first start.

Pretty good week for the next guys up.
    8.5 YPA is a number you'd take from a multi-year starter, and says a lot more about his impact than a 51-percent completion rate (an overrated statistic anyway). Half of our 24 first downs came via the pass. We played Oregon to a draw at the QB position, which was something nobody expected. Shelley was outstanding for a guy making his first start.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    8.5 YPA is a number you'd take from a multi-year starter, and says a lot more about his impact than a 51-percent completion rate (an overrated statistic anyway). Half of our 24 first downs came via the pass. We played Oregon to a draw at the QB position, which was something nobody expected. Shelley was outstanding for a guy making his first start.
    And 18/31 is 58% not 51% anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    And 18/31 is 58% not 51% anyway.

It looks even better if you remove the several times he threw the ball away to save a sack. I remember about 5 or so.

Late in the 4th there was a PI call against Enis that put the ball at the 2. Watching that call on replay, I think Utah was lucky to get that. There was a little contact, but not much. Made up for the missed PI call off of the flea flicker

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Late in the 4th there was a PI call against Enis that put the ball at the 2. Watching that call on replay, I think Utah was lucky to get that. There was a little contact, but not much. Made up for the missed PI call off of the flea flicker
    I honestly think they screwed up that call

It probably should have been holding. The DB grabbed Enis before the ball was thrown.