Thread: Gopher Hunting - Utah @ Minnesota Game Thread

Gopher Hunting - Utah @ Minnesota Game Thread

Great chance for an early statement win out on the road....

MN is my alma mater—going to the Barn for the first time in 40 years tonight. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 22; Larry K will be homesick for Montana.

Vegas: Gophers by 8-10.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Televised anywhere?
    Big 10 Network at 9 PM, Mountain.

So far the league has whiffed at a couple of early opportunities for big non-conference wins (@Auburn - Wash, vs. Vandy - USC). It would be nice to see our guys get this one, but either way, I love that we are challenging ourselves in the non-conference.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Big 10 Network at 9 PM, Mountain.

So far the league has whiffed at a couple of early opportunities for big non-conference wins (@Auburn - Wash, vs. Vandy - USC). It would be nice to see our guys get this one, but either way, I love that we are challenging ourselves in the non-conference.
    9pm EASTERN 7 PM Mountain
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/09/...xcitement-dmv/

They are picked 8th in the big 10
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Despite last season's despair, Minny's returning roster has Big Ten sleeper written all over it. Many will pencil in the Gophers as a lock to finish somewhere in the bottom-half of the league standings - we have them ranked right on that cut line at #8, but with how jumbled the upper and middle part of the conference is this year, the Gophers are a sneaky good VALUE bet to crack the top-5. The big unknown is health sustainability, but if everyone can stay on the floor - a BIG if, no doubt - the Barn will be rocking in Minneapolis all year long.
    Eric Curry is back in the mix after missing the entirety of the 2017-18 season with a knee injury. Curry was an integral part of Minnesota's success the year prior as the first guy off the bench on a 5-seeded NCAA tournament team. While he could be a full-time starter from Day 1 next to a bonafide force in Jordan Murphy up-front, Pitino also welcomes another rangy athlete in 6'10 freshman Daniel Oturu to the front court. A fringe top-50 ranked prospect, Oturu is cut from the same cloth as Curry, both in his physical make up and the production he'll bring on the floor. Oturu will deliver a lot of the same rebounding and rim-protecting value that Curry provided two years ago, but many scouts think Oturu is just scratching the surface of his offensive potential. He's already shown flashes of an established midrange game, where he can knock down a face-up jumper out to 15-feet, but also exploit slower bigs with face-up, intermediate drives.

Big10 Network isn’t part of my 260+ channel Xfinity package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Big10 Network isn’t part of my 260+ channel Xfinity package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not on Sling either.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Topolovic is surprisingly not bad. Playing well.

Up close view: the refs were PAC-12 level; moving screens that weren’t, that got Sed in foul trouble early & that was the game. he had to sit most of first half & hen took most of second to get in a rhythm. Utes are not great rebounders as their 4’s Tillman & Allen are undersized, but they are both good scorers. So they have to play a zone & they are not very good at it yet.
    Vante was best player for th Utes—maybe he will now start over PVD. Chuck Jones got minutes & is a good defender, but not a scorer.
    Jayce is still really rusty- he will get better as he gets in game shape.

Interesting note: in last seconds Larry K told Utes not to foul as it was a 9 point game. He said something to the effect of that it matters to the NCAA’s to lose by less than 10 on the road to this quadrant level team.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Up close view: the refs were PAC-12 level; moving screens that weren’t, that got Sed in foul trouble early & that was the game. he had to sit most of first half & hen took most of second to get in a rhythm. Utes are not great rebounders as their 4’s Tillman & Allen are undersized, but they are both good scorers. So they have to play a zone & they are not very good at it yet.
    Vante was best player for th Utes—maybe he will now start over PVD. Chuck Jones got minutes & is a good defender, but not a scorer.
    Jayce is still really rusty- he will get better as he gets in game shape.

Interesting note: in last seconds Larry K told Utes not to foul as it was a 9 point game. He said something to the effect of that it matters to the NCAA’s to lose by less than 10 on the road to this quadrant level team.
    Jayce seems to play smaller every year. Is he rusty or is he just terrible? I could see Topolovic starting if this keeps up. Allen had a rough night, but the skils are there. He could be very very good once he makes the D-1 adjustment.

Jayce seems to play smaller every year. Is he rusty or is he just terrible? I could see Topolovic starting if this keeps up. Allen had a rough night, but the skils are there. He could be very very good once he makes the D-1 adjustment.
    Jayce is a smart kid but unfortunately an example of how highly-rated kids (wasn´t he a 4-star?) sometimes don´t pan out at the D1 level.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Here's hoping he's just rusty. Either way, I like what I see from Topolovic, though when he catches it down low, he needs to just go straight up with it and not bring it down where it can get stripped...a Utah big man problem since the beginning of time.

Agree with you on Allen...the skill set is pretty clearly there, but he just had a bad night. Tillman seemed to do something early to annoy the officials, because they didn't give him the benefit of the doubt on pretty much anything he did.

All in all, I think this is a performance we can build on. This is a team that I think we could beat on a neutral court, which gives me some hope for next week if we get NW, Seton Hall, or Miami.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Jayce has always been (at least statistically speaking) a very good bordering on great rebounder. The offense isn't what we all wanted, but he is also playing his way into shape.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Here's hoping he's just rusty. Either way, I like what I see from Topolovic, though when he catches it down low, he needs to just go straight up with it and not bring it down where it can get stripped...a Utah big man problem since the beginning of time.

Agree with you on Allen...the skill set is pretty clearly there, but he just had a bad night. Tillman seemed to do something early to annoy the officials, because they didn't give him the benefit of the doubt on pretty much anything he did.

All in all, I think this is a performance we can build on. This is a team that I think we could beat on a neutral court, which gives me some hope for next week if we get NW, Seton Hall, or Miami.
    It was probably the toughest environment Allen has played in, against the toughest competition he's played against. His performance was predictable, almost set in stone. It will make him better sooner rather than later.

Absolutely agree on being able to build on this. These were the kinds of games we've been begging for, and we've known as a result that we could get outcomes like we got last night. The individual parts were greater than the sum of the whole, and I'm perfectly OK with that in November.

Minutes & +/- ratings:

Vante 29 minutes -2
    Both 15 minutes. +4

PVD 17 minutes. -12
    Tillman 29 minutes -12.

Tillman will turn it around, he had too many TOs, I thing 2 were “moving screens” that were questionable.

The other 3 need no further comment other than need more minutes for Both.