Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run Ralphie Run! Utah vs. Colorado 2018

Run Ralphie Run! Utah vs. Colorado 2018

We all know what is at stake here. A win puts Utah at 8-3, and 6-3 in league play, needing a loss from ASU in one of their final two games to take the South and get a rematch with Washington St in the Pac 12 title game.

For the Buffs, they have lost 5 in a row after a 5-0 start, and face the real possibility of missing a bowl game if they lose to the Utes at home (finish @Cal).

Shelly and Shyne out-performed the expectations of many despondent Ute fans leading up to the game on Saturday, and, credit where credit is due, Troy Taylor did a good job of catering the offense to the strengths of his players.

Can the Utes close this thing out? Or, will it be another November to forget?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    We all know what is at stake here. A win puts Utah at 8-3, and 6-3 in league play, needing a loss from ASU in one of their final two games to take the South and get a rematch with Washington St in the Pac 12 title game.

For the Buffs, they have lost 5 in a row after a 5-0 start, and face the real possibility of missing a bowl game if they lose to the Utes at home (finish @Cal).

Shelly and Shyne out-performed the expectations of many despondent Ute fans leading up to the game on Saturday, and, credit where credit is due, Troy Taylor did a good job of catering the offense to the strengths of his players.

Can the Utes close this thing out? Or, will it be another November to forget?
    Does CU's 0-5 slide correspond completely to losing their star WR? Is he still out? CU is always a tough game for us. I expect this year to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Does CU's 0-5 slide correspond completely to losing their star WR? Is he still out? CU is always a tough game for us. I expect this year to be the same.
    He played on Saturday, but I believe he was on a pitch count of some kind...why do people mix baseball and football when talking about players coming back from injuries? No idea.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

He played on Saturday, but I believe he was on a pitch count of some kind...why do people mix baseball and football when talking about players coming back from injuries? No idea.
    Well, he is a difference maker.

Mike MacIntyre fired, effective at the end of the season. So now the Buffs have something else to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Mike MacIntyre fired, effective at the end of the season. So now the Buffs have something else to play for.
    Seems like I remember being excited about playing USC right after they’d fired their coach a couple of times, only to not have that work out in our favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Seems like I remember being excited about playing USC right after they’d fired their coach a couple of times, only to not have that work out in our favor.

Yeah, not good. The interim (whoever that is) is auditioning for a job over the next two weeks.

Other media outlets are reporting that MacIntyre hasn't been fired yet.

Either way this game makes me very nervous. Even without the coaching drama there was still high potential for a let down-look ahead sandwich here with Utah possibly feeling like they successfully weathered the storm by beating Oregon while also having BYU in the back of their mind. Now you throw in some motivation for the Buffs to win one for coach (although I'm not sure if they love him enough to really rally around him). Also CU isn't great but anytime you lose five in a row you are having a lot of stuff go wrong and it may be that they are due for some good fortune that has been lacking for several weeks. Plus Senior Day, plus still playing for a bowl. Add in a weird start time and some weather.....

There's a lot of reasons for CU to come out with their best effort in a while and some reasons to fear that Utah won't be at their best. Like I said, I'm very nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Other media outlets are reporting that MacIntyre hasn't been fired yet.

Either way this game makes me very nervous. Even without the coaching drama there was still high potential for a let down-look ahead sandwich here with Utah possibly feeling like they successfully weathered the storm by beating Oregon while also having BYU in the back of their mind. Now you throw in some motivation for the Buffs to win one for coach (although I'm not sure if they love him enough to really rally around him). Also CU isn't great but anytime you lose five in a row you are having a lot of stuff go wrong and it may be that they are due for some good fortune that has been lacking for several weeks. Plus Senior Day, plus still playing for a bowl. Add in a weird start time and some weather.....

There's a lot of reasons for CU to come out with their best effort in a while and some reasons to fear that Utah won't be at their best. Like I said, I'm very nervous.
    additionally Shelley's first start on the road

Hopefully an 11:30 start and possible snow in the afternoon will dampen the crowd and homefield advantage.

It's always amazing to me that these types of motivations don't wear off in the first few minutes of a game. But they don't. The "nobody believes in us" motivation is gold in college sports. I think the "play for embattled coach" and "senior day" motivations are not as strong but still real.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Hopefully an 11:30 start and possible snow in the afternoon will dampen the crowd and homefield advantage.
    As will five losses in a row with a statistical likely sixth. One thing that I do like about this game is that we play before Oregon-ASU. It seems that we play better when it isn’t for something.

I totally get all of the concerns...and historically speaking, they are more than valid. However, this team just seems different to me. They seem pretty determined to finish this season the right way. As others have pointed out, they won't know what ASU did, so they've got to come out and play to win, knowing it still may not result in a South title. I think the squad will be motivated and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    One thing that I do like about this game is that we play before Oregon-ASU. It seems that we play better when it isn’t for something.
    Ha! So true... and sad.

I totally get all of the concerns...and historically speaking, they are more than valid. However, this team just seems different to me. They seem pretty determined to finish this season the right way. As others have pointed out, they won't know what ASU did, so they've got to come out and play to win, knowing it still may not result in a South title. I think the squad will be motivated and ready to go.
    No doubt. Motivation shouldn't be a concern. Both teams have plenty to play for.

"We can go to the Rose Bowl!!!" is far more motivation than anything the Buffs have to offer their players right now.

Weather forecast for tomorrow. Adjust your score predictions accordingly. Stay dry and warm Sancho!

Saturday
    Snow, possibly mixed with freezing drizzle, becoming all snow after 1pm. Patchy fog. Temperature falling to around 25 by 5pm. East wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Stay dry and warm Sancho!
    Alas, it is not meant to be this year. Last Spring, my wife asked if she could come to SLC in Nov to celebrate her sister's 40 birthday. I said "sure, the Utah/CU game is always the Sat after Thanksgiving." I forgot about this dumb schedule change. Thank you, BYU, Stanford, and USC.

So I figured I'd just take all my kids to the game instead of just the boy. But with this forecast, I know I'd just have 3-4 hours of cold, whiny little children. I thought about a babysitter, but it's 5-6 hours of babysitting.

I'll be watching from home.

I'm worried about Montez. He will hurt us with long runs if we don't bring him down. I'm worried that Shelley will throw some picks. He was close a few times last week. I think Shyne will be fine. Probably not 175 yards, but I bet he gets close to 100. We need some big plays from the WRs and TEs again.

This game looks like a toss up. Snow is clearly affecting both teams.

Absolute bullshit targeting call!
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Absolute bullshit targeting call!
    Targeting is the #1 issue facing college football right now. It's completely random and pointless.

I don't think Guidry gets that PI call if he doesn't act so guilty.

Looks like I should have modified my score prediction when I saw the weather report.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

We better put this in the endzone. Not sure how many chances we'll get today.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We better put this in the endzone. Not sure how many chances we'll get today.
    Yes

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

What a great catch by Nacua

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What a great catch by Nacua
    That was great. I was wondering how we can move the ball today. Maybe we go long more and hope to connect. Seems like we can't run it.

Kind of looks like our defense is vulnerable to a great receiver. Not to mention quarterbacks who can escape.

--Yeats

Sure would be nice to get a TD on this series.

--Yeats

Am I the only one who thinks Shelley may be better at the long ball and then Huntley? That was a beaut.

--Yeats