Thread: Run Ralphie Run! Utah vs. Colorado 2018

Run Ralphie Run! Utah vs. Colorado 2018

We all know what is at stake here. A win puts Utah at 8-3, and 6-3 in league play, needing a loss from ASU in one of their final two games to take the South and get a rematch with Washington St in the Pac 12 title game.

For the Buffs, they have lost 5 in a row after a 5-0 start, and face the real possibility of missing a bowl game if they lose to the Utes at home (finish @Cal).

Shelly and Shyne out-performed the expectations of many despondent Ute fans leading up to the game on Saturday, and, credit where credit is due, Troy Taylor did a good job of catering the offense to the strengths of his players.

Can the Utes close this thing out? Or, will it be another November to forget?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Does CU's 0-5 slide correspond completely to losing their star WR? Is he still out? CU is always a tough game for us. I expect this year to be the same.
    He played on Saturday, but I believe he was on a pitch count of some kind...why do people mix baseball and football when talking about players coming back from injuries? No idea.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Mike MacIntyre fired, effective at the end of the season. So now the Buffs have something else to play for.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Mike MacIntyre fired, effective at the end of the season. So now the Buffs have something else to play for.
    Seems like I remember being excited about playing USC right after they’d fired their coach a couple of times, only to not have that work out in our favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Seems like I remember being excited about playing USC right after they’d fired their coach a couple of times, only to not have that work out in our favor.

Yeah, not good. The interim (whoever that is) is auditioning for a job over the next two weeks.

Other media outlets are reporting that MacIntyre hasn't been fired yet.

Either way this game makes me very nervous. Even without the coaching drama there was still high potential for a let down-look ahead sandwich here with Utah possibly feeling like they successfully weathered the storm by beating Oregon while also having BYU in the back of their mind. Now you throw in some motivation for the Buffs to win one for coach (although I'm not sure if they love him enough to really rally around him). Also CU isn't great but anytime you lose five in a row you are having a lot of stuff go wrong and it may be that they are due for some good fortune that has been lacking for several weeks. Plus Senior Day, plus still playing for a bowl. Add in a weird start time and some weather.....

There's a lot of reasons for CU to come out with their best effort in a while and some reasons to fear that Utah won't be at their best. Like I said, I'm very nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Other media outlets are reporting that MacIntyre hasn't been fired yet.

Either way this game makes me very nervous. Even without the coaching drama there was still high potential for a let down-look ahead sandwich here with Utah possibly feeling like they successfully weathered the storm by beating Oregon while also having BYU in the back of their mind. Now you throw in some motivation for the Buffs to win one for coach (although I'm not sure if they love him enough to really rally around him). Also CU isn't great but anytime you lose five in a row you are having a lot of stuff go wrong and it may be that they are due for some good fortune that has been lacking for several weeks. Plus Senior Day, plus still playing for a bowl. Add in a weird start time and some weather.....

There's a lot of reasons for CU to come out with their best effort in a while and some reasons to fear that Utah won't be at their best. Like I said, I'm very nervous.
    additionally Shelley's first start on the road

Hopefully an 11:30 start and possible snow in the afternoon will dampen the crowd and homefield advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Hopefully an 11:30 start and possible snow in the afternoon will dampen the crowd and homefield advantage.
    As will five losses in a row with a statistical likely sixth. One thing that I do like about this game is that we play before Oregon-ASU. It seems that we play better when it isn’t for something.

I totally get all of the concerns...and historically speaking, they are more than valid. However, this team just seems different to me. They seem pretty determined to finish this season the right way. As others have pointed out, they won't know what ASU did, so they've got to come out and play to win, knowing it still may not result in a South title. I think the squad will be motivated and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    One thing that I do like about this game is that we play before Oregon-ASU. It seems that we play better when it isn’t for something.
    Ha! So true... and sad.

"We can go to the Rose Bowl!!!" is far more motivation than anything the Buffs have to offer their players right now.

Weather forecast for tomorrow. Adjust your score predictions accordingly. Stay dry and warm Sancho!

Saturday
    Snow, possibly mixed with freezing drizzle, becoming all snow after 1pm. Patchy fog. Temperature falling to around 25 by 5pm. East wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Absolute bullshit targeting call!
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Looks like I should have modified my score prediction when I saw the weather report.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We better put this in the endzone. Not sure how many chances we'll get today.
    Yes

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

What a great catch by Nacua

--Yeats

Kind of looks like our defense is vulnerable to a great receiver. Not to mention quarterbacks who can escape.

--Yeats

Sure would be nice to get a TD on this series.

--Yeats

Am I the only one who thinks Shelley may be better at the long ball and then Huntley? That was a beaut.

--Yeats

I thought this during last weeks game, but I wanted to see a little more of Shelley before making a comment. I think Shelley is a more natural QB than Huntley. I base this mostly on his presence in the pocket. He stands there and does not get antsy feet.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Shelley may be better at the long ball and then Huntley? That was a beaut.
    The coaches have always said Shelley throws a better deep ball.

I love the way our offense wears down the opposing team. We are consistently better in the second half than in the first.

--Yeats

I didn’t realize that on the punt were we were called for interfering with the kick/catch, there were snowballs thrown at the players that nvolved. ESPN showed them in zoomed slo-mo, and then and obsessed over them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I didn’t realize that on the punt were we were called for interfering with the kick/catch, there were snowballs thrown at the players that nvolved. ESPN showed them in zoomed slo-mo, and then and obsessed over them.
    Before the game they reported this was only the 8th snow game at Folsom Field since the 1940s. Whether that is true or not I don't care*, but throwing snowballs during a Utah snow game was a deeply-held religious tradition dating back as far as I can remember.

And that certainly was better than the piss bombs thrown by Wyoming fans in Laramie, though those tended to be aimed at opposing fans more than at the players.

( *It seems odd because there have been a number of snow games for the Broncos. I recall a game in the 80s where a potential game-winning field goal was affected when the holder got smacked with a snowball and couldn't place the ball. Maybe Jeremy Bloom doesn't know anything about snow or CU football? -- j/k JB is one of my all-time favorite non-Ute athletes, both for football and for skiing)
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 11-18-2018 at 01:09 PM.

This actually makes me feel a little better about destroying them.

UC Boulder's toolkit included a ready-made letter people could send to schools with "harmful" or "offensive" Native American-themed mascots.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11537

--Yeats

This actually makes me feel a little better about destroying them.

UC Boulder's toolkit included a ready-made letter people could send to schools with "harmful" or "offensive" Native American-themed mascots.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11537
    We can tell Colorado to cheer like crazy for the Utah Utes this week, since Brigham Young was the Ute tribes' Columbus.

They might understand that nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    We can tell Colorado to cheer like crazy for the Utah Utes this week, since Brigham Young was the Ute tribes' Columbus.

They might understand that nuance.
    I saw what you did there.

--Yeats

I saw what you did there.
    I have to think the CU admin would see it as well.