Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

The rivalry has definitely lost its pizazz, and we all know that. Yesterday, amid the Utes‘ historic success, it suddenly occurred to me that BYU must be playing someone, but I didn’t know who. It was the second or third week in a row that I had that thought. How the world has changed. Still, I love beating them, although the hatred factor is long gone. Let’s add an 8th straight W to our string. I hope it goes all the way to 10, which would break Utah’s previous record of 9 in a row.

Looking forward to a fun week.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Hopefully we get out to big lead so we can rest people in the second half. I wonder if we're will redshirt brumfield. He ran well yesterday.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Definitely should be a win. I think BYU has a good run defense, which is what you want more than anything else if you're going to play Utah.
    DE C Kaufusi out for the year w an ankle injury. Should hopefully make running the ball a bit easier.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

I want Armand Shyne to study very hard this week and make all the right reads against our opponent. He needs to have a nearly perfect game in the CCG if we are going to squeak out a win. This week will be a very good challenge for him as this team is solid in run Defense. Also Kalanini is a blitzing fool so he will have ample practice picking up his assignments in delayed blitzes.

He would have put up over 200 yards yesterday had he made the right read and hit the hole. Several times he had a 15 ft-wide Lane with blockers in the Secondary, and he dropped his head to run right into his O lineman's butt.

I hope this doesn’t come across as condescending, but I am having a hard time getting riled up for this game. I see smack talk all over twitter, but it just seems sad. Anything BYU fans try to use to tear us down is simply ineffective. Nothing can bring me down from the high of going to Santa Clara on the 30th. I’m not going to engage I smack talk, why bother?

Putting my feelings about the game into one word; inconsequential. It’s like a bonus game, just have fun with it. Not saying a win is a foregone conclusion, and a loss certainly would sting. But I just don’t see it happening, and I won’t feel jubilant like a win over BYU in the past. The joy if winning the south overshadows it.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I hope this doesn’t come across as condescending, but I am having a hard time getting riled up for this game. I see smack talk all over twitter, but it just seems sad. Anything BYU fans try to use to tear us down is simply ineffective. Nothing can bring me down from the high of going to Santa Clara on the 30th. I’m not going to engage I smack talk, why bother?

Putting my feelings about the game into one word; inconsequential. It’s like a bonus game, just have fun with it. Not saying a win is a foregone conclusion, and a loss certainly would sting. But I just don’t see it happening, and I won’t feel jubilant like a win over BYU in the past. The joy if winning the south overshadows it.
    I am a noted fan of the rivalry game (what a weird sentence to have to say out loud), but I am thinking that the game should be played in September. It seems like a distraction this week, after the jubilation of defeating the Buffs and winning the South last week, and the jubilation in destroying the Pacific Northwest's team of choice next week.

But, I guess in year's that we do not win the South, playing them in November would be cool.

I feel much like I used to feel when playing USU. I'm more nervous about the possibility of losing than excited about the possibility of a win.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I feel much like I used to feel when playing USU. I'm more nervous about the possibility of losing than excited about the possibility of a win.
    Right. Also, for the first time ever, I am considering the weather. 8:00 PM at the end of November? Really? I’m thinking that if Utes are way ahead at halftime I will walk home and watch the rest of the game there. This would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I am a noted fan of the rivalry game (what a weird sentence to have to say out loud), but I am thinking that the game should be played in September. It seems like a distraction this week, after the jubilation of defeating the Buffs and winning the South last week, and the jubilation in destroying the Pacific Northwest's team of choice next week.

But, I guess in year's that we do not win the South, playing them in November would be cool.
    The rivalry has lost most of its luster. It certainly has a different feel now than a conference game. I'd probably be a little more excited if it weren't a game where we have everything to lose (an injury to a key player or a targeting ejection) and hardly anything to gain, or BYU was a top 25 team.

I can't imagine Utah prepares this week with the same intensity that they did for Oregon or Colorado, but maybe I'm wrong? I hope we never see this game again in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I can't imagine Utah prepares this week with the same intensity that they did for Oregon or Colorado, but maybe I'm wrong? I hope we never see this game again in November.
    Outside of thanksgiving, I am sure Whitt prepares just the same. I assume that a win helps in the local recruiting.

--Yeats

Yeah, it's like having a bonus bowl game: it is meaningless in the big scope, but lots of fun to win.

an amazing stat is that BYU has lead for all of just 10 minutes in each of the last 6 games (led for 4 minutes in 2nd Quarter in 2016, and 6 minutes in the 2nd quarter in 2011) and hasn't held a lead in the 2nd half since the 2010 game. And yet many of the games have been very close at the end.

Apparent BYU returned 150 tickets to the U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received this:

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    This! Teams aren't even close to being on the same page right now. Anything is possible on a given Saturday and I hate that weather is going to impact the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yeah, I wonder if this is how BYU fans felt in the 80s. I don't know. They were dicks, though.
    They were insufferable. It was their moment of glory and they didn’t wear it well.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    They were insufferable. It was their moment of glory and they didn’t wear it well.
    they are sooooo subdued now (at least the ones I interact with) that the rivalry is barely a discuss-able topic any longer. Their comeuppance has been brutal since the the PAC-12 invite. I genuinely feel bad for most of them and try and avoid the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Yep. And it bugs me this week to see some Ute fans display the same insufferablility (new word?). Don’t be a jerk. I probably just need to avoid twitter.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

they are sooooo subdued now (at least the ones I interact with) that the rivalry is barely a discuss-able topic any longer. Their comeuppance has been brutal since the the PAC-12 invite. I genuinely feel bad for most of them and try and avoid the topic.
    I do the same thing.

--Yeats

I don't run into any outspoken die-hard byu fans. Most are very subdued, or are fans of local schools or NFL. That is the blessing of living outside Utah I guess.

But I am with you. I would rather spend time with the family after TG and watch the game at home. My kids can barely stand to watch more than a few minutes of football anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I don't run into any outspoken die-hard byu fans. Most are very subdued, or are fans of local schools or NFL. That is the blessing of living outside Utah I guess.

But I am with you. I would rather spend time with the family after TG and watch the game at home. My kids can barely stand to watch more than a few minutes of football anyhow.
    I’m going to feel subdued unless/until Senioritis drops by and gets the laughter flowing.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Outside of thanksgiving, I am sure Whitt prepares just the same. I assume that a win helps in the local recruiting.
    The preparation process will be the same. The coaches will do the same things they do each week. What we cannot know is the mindset of the players. Hopefully they come out with the same confidence, determination and intensity they have shown the past couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I’m going to feel subdued unless/until Senioritis drops by and gets the laughter flowing.
    Hello from the old neighborhood (today, at least). Hoping to see Tucker before I fly home.

It sounds like BYU will be all blue

“The BYU game is meaningless. I’m sure they are sneaking some looks at UW and Wazzu.”- Norm Chow

https://twitter.com/mckinleyj/status...99997164961793

“The BYU game is meaningless. I’m sure they are sneaking some looks at UW and Wazzu.”- Norm Chow

https://twitter.com/mckinleyj/status...99997164961793

Norm knows how to twist the knife. The substantive part of his message is that Kyle and the staff is looking at film of our opponent in two weeks. But we also did that for Air Force. Saying the BYU game is meaningless is Norm pouring some salt on the wound that is BYU and being Indy.

In general, the Norm interviews on 1280 have been a trainwreck. Multiple times this year, he has admitted that he didn't watch the games that DJ and PK are asking him about. Its almost comical to listen to them fill him in on what happened, and then listen to him "analyze" what he was just told.

It appears that the Deseret News has already thrown in the towel.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...70-points.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk