Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is what I expected our offense to look like when Huntley and Moss went out.
    Me too honestly. But we've looked MUCH better than this the last few weeks.

What are the chances that the coaching staff is trying to hold things back to confuse Washington (make them overconfident and think that we suck)?

Perfect storm for byu

Utah is looking past them (this is why this game should never.. i mean never played in November again)

Our o coordinator decides to wait till the 3rd quarter to run the football

Our d Coordinator hasnt realized that he should blitz a freshman

We get a stupid turnover to start the game

This is their superbowl and we came out flat
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Great job Utes! Keep the momentum on our side.

Come on defense! Impose your will!

Man, the story of two halves. Utah, did a 180 from the first half. Great job on offense and defense.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Oh my.

Forgive me fellow fans, for I have sinned. At 27-7, I did not believe.

I'm shaking.
    I'm right there with ya sancho. I had lost faith too. Wow! The Utes won this game by playing a little more than 1 quarter of football. How sad is that for BYU? They had us dead to rights, and we pulled it out. And Shelley's TD run to cap things off? Oh my!!!

I thought it was over.
    I love this team.

I can hear KW saying “We do not lose to those guys”.

At 27-7, and it being the East Coast, I was about to call it quits. I said I'd stick around for one more drive. What a game.

But we have no run game. Shyne is fool's gold. He broke off three big runs against Oregon and Colorado which made everyone believe that he is a poor man's Moss. He has absolutely no vision. HE must have run into his own blocker on half of his runs. We need to find a running back or we may not score next week.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Nightmare.
    Haha. This is LAUTE.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

Seriously, if I were ever in a fox hole with this guy, I’d just run away. Get away from him. Even sprint across the battlefield strafed by machine gun fire.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

But we have no run game. Shyne is fool's gold. He broke off three big runs against Oregon and Colorado which made everyone believe that he is a poor man's Moss. He has absolutely no vision. HE must have run into his own blocker on half of his runs. We need to find a running back or we may not score next week.
    I don’t agree with this at all. **** you. Have you ever worn Shyne’s shoes? Do you think it was easy getting up for this game when they were going to face the Huskies in six day for the Rose Bowl? You don’t know his burdens. Your challenge is getting enough zap from your Lattte that you can turn around by noon that brief that’s due in ten days. Look at old posts, and you’ll see that before Shyne was injured last season people were putting down Moss the same way. I was involved and I was sticking up for Moss then. Fans! Ugh. Shyne was a but for cause of the win tonigh. Shyne is genuine gold.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-25-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I don’t agree with this at all. **** you. Have you ever worn Shyne’s shoes? Do you think it was easy getting up for this game when they were going to face the Huskies in six day for the Rose Bowl? You don’t know his burdens. Your challenge is getting enough zap from your Lattte that you can turn around by noon that brief that’s due in ten days. Look at old posts, and you’ll see that before Shyne was injured last season people were putting down Moss the same way. I was involved and I was sticking up for Moss then. Fans! Ugh. Shyne was a but for cause of the win tonigh. Shyne is genuine gold.
    Woah, big fella! I think you are taking the loss hard. But Wilson played a great game; he was the MVP, albeit for the losing team.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-25-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Quick observations:

I love this team. I can't think of a Utah team that has combined pluck and talent the way this one has.

In the past there would have been no hope for a Utah team to come back from 3 scores down. Troy Taylor's offense works. Scalley's defense does too. After a stunningly poor performance in the first half I was resigned to a nightmarish, humiliating loss, but these guys turned things around in a spectacular manner.

Early on, after the ASU loss, I said there was no reason to believe Kyleball would ever change. I hoped there would be but I was not optimistic. Now there is plenty or reason to believe things would change, because they have.

It really wasn't that cold in the stadium as long as you had the right clothing on.

Eight straight feels really good.

That was fun.

Good night.

Good night.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-25-2018 at 12:46 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

Seriously, if I were ever in a fox hole with this guy, I’d just run away. Get away from him. Even sprint across the battlefield strafed by machine gun fire.
    Take a deep breath, raise your eyes over the edge of your foxhole, and look at the rest of the posts in this thread. It looked horrible at the end of the first half. No one here was mad about it. The fans in the stadium (including me) just sat there stunned. It was simply the worst half of football these Utes have played, by far, since I don’t know when. It was an unfolding nightmare. I was deliriously happy when the Utes made a turnaround for the ages and the vast talent differential between the two teams manifested itself. I’m really proud of these Utes. As I said, I love this team. They’ve shown themselves to be gamers.

Zach Wilson is amazing and will be a problem for Utah for the next few years. His elusiveness was driving me crazy. Your Zach fanhood is 100% justified. But this isn’t war, it’s just football, and we’re all just fans of the U. No one here is depending on anyone else to save his life. Chill, be happy, and enjoy a great Utah win against our arch rival — who came ready to play, and did play with great heart.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-25-2018 at 05:17 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I wish some Ute fans would learn that you can’t give up on this team (not specific to any poster here).

Six times this year, we have started out behind at the end of the first quarter, and come back to win (including 14-0 to USC).

We lost our first two PAC-12 games, and fought back to finish 6-3.

We lost an alomost must-win game at ASU for the South division title, and lost our starting QB and RB, and the. Won our last two games to put ourselves in position to win the south.

So many fans seem to want to throw in the towel, fire someone or everyone,

Observant fans this season should have still had some faith when we were down 20-0 at half, or 27-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter. I admit, my faith was tested in the third when our all-everything punter shanked a punt, and then our defense let BYU score a touchdown. But as long as there is time left, don’t turn off the tv on this team. They have fight in them.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    But as long as there is time left, don’t turn off the tv on this team. They have fight in them.
    They proved that last night, in a way that far exceeded any prior comeback they’d made. This game became one for the ages.

--Yeats

I’ve watched the replay of Shelley’s game-clinching TD run 10 times now and it’s amazing how well he sold that fake handoff. He’s a gamer, and we’ll be watching that play for years to come in rivalry game classic footage.

--Yeats

I’ve watched the replay of Shelley’s game-clinching TD run 10 times now and it’s amazing how well he sold that fake handoff. He’s a gamer, and we’ll be watching that play for years to come in rivalry game classic footage.
    It was an awesome fake.

He said on the post game he never planned on keeping it, but Kaufusi crashing so hard forced him to keep it.

(Interesting side note, the D-News article about the game says Kaufusi was injured in the third quarter and never returned, hurting BYU’s chances.....)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It was an awesome fake.

He said on the post game he never planned on keeping it, but Kaufusi crashing so hard forced him to keep it.

(Interesting side note, the D-News article about the game says Kaufusi was injured in the third quarter and never returned, hurting BYU’s chances.....)

Two Kaufusi
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Two Kaufusi
    #90 Kaufusi went our for a few plays (he walked off the field unassisted) but he came back shortly after.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Two Kaufusi
    Yes....and they specifically said both never returned.

Corbin(#90) is who Crashed hard on Shyne on the fake on Shelley’s TD run

#90 Kaufusi went our for a few plays (he walked off the field unassisted) but he came back shortly after.
    Crazy game. Kudos to the byu for playing hard. The cougs kicked Utah's butt for most of the game.

I wouldn't have minded a close or respectable loss all that much last night. Sometimes teams lose.
    But I was sick to my stomach at watching the Utes get blown out at home.

It's almost like Whittingham et al. sat around saying,

"You know, we've beat the byu in so many different and creative ways. We've won in Las Vegas (2015); we've won by blocking a last-second FG (2010); we've blown them out (2011); we've watched them miss a last-second FG after our fans charged the field (2012); we've bored everyone to death (2017). What can we do this year?

"I know: Let's try the Rope-A-Dope. Let the byu think they have it in the bag and then we turn it on in the 4th quarter!"
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

The inconsistency in reffing is maddening. After watching a bit of SEC, Big 10, MWC, and Big 12 games, I believe the refs last night were more in line with the general consensus of officiating philosophy.

There were a number of plays where PAC-12 refs would have tossed the player. The obvious led-with-the-head shot that our receiver (Dixon?) took to the head was blatantly missed, but there were a number of plays on both teams where the outcome would have been totally different with our PAC refs. (Anae punching at the ball in Wilson's hands after the play, Jaylon Johnson trash talking the byu-P receiver on that last 3rd-down stop - both would have been flagged)

It seemed to take nearly a half a game for our guys to adapt to what gets called and what doesn't, and I hope we don't get screwed in the game next week because of it.

Sitake tried to use the patented whittingham get a lead, run the ball on 3rd and long and let your defense win. He was 17-1 while leading st the start of the 4th quarter

Take a deep breath, raise your eyes over the edge of your foxhole, and look at the rest of the posts in this thread. It looked horrible at the end of the first half. No one here was mad about it. The fans in the stadium (including me) just sat there stunned. It was simply the worst half of football these Utes have played, by far, since I don’t know when. It was an unfolding nightmare. I was deliriously happy when the Utes made a turnaround for the ages and the vast talent differential between the two teams manifested itself. I’m really proud of these Utes. As I said, I love this team. They’ve shown themselves to be gamers.

Zach Wilson is amazing and will be a problem for Utah for the next few years. His elusiveness was driving me crazy. Your Zach fanhood is 100% justified. But this isn’t war, it’s just football, and we’re all just fans of the U. No one here is depending on anyone else to save his life. Chill, be happy, and enjoy a great Utah win against our arch rival — who came ready to play, and did play with great heart.
    I love you, you know that. I love AJ too.

You have been a Ute fan long enough that you should know enough to stick with Kyle through thick and thin. He’s a special coach and a perfect fit for Utah.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

BYU was 98-1 in the last 99 games when they left by more than 14 points at the half.

I love Seattle ute, laute, diehard, concerned, socalpat, the whole lot of you. Nothing but love today! Hell, I would love to embrace toolblue; that guy probably had to listen to the game on tape-delayed radio broadcast by Canuck announcers. He needs some love.

And I should have given shyne props for that go-ahead touchdown. That was a man-run.

You have been a Ute fan long enough that you should know enough to stick with Kyle through thick and thin. He’s a special coach and a perfect fit for Utah.
    I’ve always thought that about Kyle. I simply began despairing that he’d ever be able to get over the hump. I hoped that he would but I didn’t know. Now my despair is dissipating because of what he’s done this year.

--Yeats

Cool stats:

--Yeats