Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I was screaming at him to shut up. He just kept going.
    I was doing the same thing.

One thing i really liked last night. Mariner caught several big passes
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Thoughts:

I like Zach Wilson. The kid has moxie. I think part of his success is the lack of film on him. Teams may figure him out next year. Same with Shelly.

This team reminds me of the 2008 team. They don’t give up and just find a way to win. Shelly’s demeanor reminds me of BJ in some ways. He never seems to get too high or low.

Speaking of Shelly, this was fun. You can see
    the exact moment he fakes the soul out of the defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His greatest asset last night was his escapability. He made some very good throws (his first TD was his best throw, I think). He threw one pick but could have easily thrown 3 more. I'm glad he will likely never have great WRs in Provo. I wish he'd gone to Boise. I like Boise.
    I thought his best was the throw to the 1 when they went up 20-0. We were about the sack him, he got rid of the ball quickly and stoood in there. Helluva play. Pass on the money.

I also thought the pick-6 and a couple of throws after that into double coverage was the reason they went conservative. Werent going to let a turnover get us back into the game. Never really let him throw downfield after that until the very end. He will be great if he stays healthy.

Shelley underthrew every single downfield throw. If he doesnt get that fixed, we are going to be in trouble.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-25-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Oops. Forgot the gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

Just watched the fourth quarter over again. It’s fun to watch a game on TV video after seeing it in person. I think I may watch the fourth quarter a few more times.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-26-2018 at 06:33 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Some comments about the game:

- Agree with everything said about shelley. His deep ball left me underwhelmed, I like his poise, and he is a Brian Johnson clone. I mean, he even has that way of running that seems more like walking that Brian had. He is NOT a dual-threat, at least as that term is typically used (just like BJ). His arm is nothing to write home about. But he has something about the way he carries himself that inspires confidence, even when it's misplaced.
    - On the long 33 yard td run. It is an amazing play, mostly for how much the BYU defenders bit on the running back fake handoff. You see the INSIDE DE go after the ball carrier running to the left (that is never his assignment) AS WELL as the left-side linebacker (I think it is number 11) that does the same thing. Basically Shelley had one man to beat and then he had open field forever.
    - I like Wilson too and wish that the U had offered him. He dropped some dimes (like the pass to the 1 yard line that Concerned mentions) and absolutely killed us with his legs. That being said, he is a freshman and his decision-making demonstrates that fact. He should have had two INTs in the first half and could have had more. The pass to the BYU TE that was an AMAZING one-handed grab that led to their last touchdown really should have been a pick as well; Barton was stride for stride with him and turned his head a millisecond too late. Now, not all of those will be picks, but at least a few should have been. I'm just hoping that recent history of player development at BYU continues to hold true.
    - I'll be interested to see what Troy T plans for Washington. I have to believe that he knows that running into the teeth of that defense is a non-starter; BYU shut us down, and UW has a much better D-line. Also, BYU completely bottled up Covey. Really the key for our offense against the Y was when Isaiah Kafusi got hurt; the substitute LB was not good. The game plan we trotted out against BYU will not work against the Huskies.

how much of the game plan was vanilla-ed down? Limit film on Shelley for this week?
    I read somewhere that the bunch formation wasn't used because they played so much zone D.

I think our depth was a big key in the win. Utah could rotate guys and keep everyone fresh.

I guess the sliver lining in this is that the starters still only had to play one half. Just no the half we all thought...

He's done that all season except for a few memorable exceptions.

I think Troy Williams was the best long ball QB we've had in the Pac-12. I don't know who's second place on that list. Hays?
    Speaking of Jon Hays, just heard Norm Chow say on the radio that he spoke to Hays. Hays is from Paradise; just got married and lives in Chico. But his parents home was destroyed, his in-laws home destroyed, as was his father's business, which he had just paid off after 25 years. All of them are now living in hays' home in Chico.

that certainly puts the game in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Some comments about the game:

- Agree with everything said about shelley. His deep ball left me underwhelmed, I like his poise, and he is a Brian Johnson clone. I mean, he even has that way of running that seems more like walking that Brian had. He is NOT a dual-threat, at least as that term is typically used (just like BJ). His arm is nothing to write home about. But he has something about the way he carries himself that inspires confidence, even when it's misplaced.
    - On the long 33 yard td run. It is an amazing play, mostly for how much the BYU defenders bit on the running back fake handoff. You see the INSIDE DE go after the ball carrier running to the left (that is never his assignment) AS WELL as the left-side linebacker (I think it is number 11) that does the same thing. Basically Shelley had one man to beat and then he had open field forever.
    - I like Wilson too and wish that the U had offered him. He dropped some dimes (like the pass to the 1 yard line that Concerned mentions) and absolutely killed us with his legs. That being said, he is a freshman and his decision-making demonstrates that fact. He should have had two INTs in the first half and could have had more. The pass to the BYU TE that was an AMAZING one-handed grab that led to their last touchdown really should have been a pick as well; Barton was stride for stride with him and turned his head a millisecond too late. Now, not all of those will be picks, but at least a few should have been. I'm just hoping that recent history of player development at BYU continues to hold true.
    - I'll be interested to see what Troy T plans for Washington. I have to believe that he knows that running into the teeth of that defense is a non-starter; BYU shut us down, and UW has a much better D-line. Also, BYU completely bottled up Covey. Really the key for our offense against the Y was when Isaiah Kafusi got hurt; the substitute LB was not good. The game plan we trotted out against BYU will not work against the Huskies.
    Good thoughts. I saw the BYU DE bite on the fake -- so did Shelley, who said he was just planning to run the clock down, but after he saw the DE "crash" on the decoy Utah RB, Shelley said he saw an opportunity to put the game away and took off. What a moment that was. It showed good presence of mind and instincts on Shelley's part, too. You're right about the Brian Johnson comparison - he became an assassin, but not until he was a senior. Shelley's only a redshirt freshman, which bodes well!

On the run game against Washington, what do you think about Utah's standard strategy of wearing down the opposing defense? Usually that results in good 2nd half success in the run game. Don't we have to pound UW to some extent? Also, BYU clearly keyed on Covey, but didn't that leave valuable opportunities for Utah to throw to Nacua and Simpkins?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-26-2018 at 08:54 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Speaking of Jon Hays, just heard Norm Chow say on the radio that he spoke to Hays. Hays is from Paradise; just got married and lives in Chico. But his parents home was destroyed, his in-laws home destroyed, as was his father's business, which he had just paid off after 25 years. All of them are now living in hays' home in Chico.

that certainly puts the game in perspective.
    I'll always remember Hays as the guy who was not afraid to stand in the pocket until the last millisecond, get the pass off, and then get blown up by a pass rusher. He'd jump up and move on to the next play. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Hays.

--Yeats

Jason Shelley had two plays that will be forever burned into my mind: the hurdle, and the last TD.

The TD was interesting on review because it was a TD the instant Kaufusi crashed in so hard. Jason kept it and beat two out-of-position players for the TD. But had he pitched the ball, the other RB (Greene?) would also have waltzed into the end zone.

I am grateful today for Kalani Sitake and his defensive philosophy of over-aggression and over-pursuit.

The cameraman also bit hard on the fake.

Fox missed a handful of plays during the game. Came back from commercial too late or missed a play while showing highlights from earlier.
    From our seats on the east side, next to the muss, I also thought Shyne had the ball. I guess that was because both lines, esp. Kaufusi, flowed that way. I didn't realize that Shelley had the ball until the roar went up from the north end, when he was about 10 yards downfield.

such a crazy game as it always is, one of the most enduring memories for me will be Dick Harmon tweeting video of Francis Bernard allegedly punching Wilson to Wilson's mom, and then apologizing to Bernard the next day.

That some creepy insight into Dick Harmon

Fox missed a handful of plays during the game. Came back from commercial too late or missed a play while showing highlights from earlier.
    Agreed, that was very annoying. I also missed the first few minutes of the game because it got bumped to another station I don’t have to allow for the ending of the Iowa State vs Kansas State game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    such a crazy game as it always is, one of the most enduring memories for me will be Dick Harmon tweeting video of Francis Bernard allegedly punching Wilson to Wilson's mom, and then apologizing to Bernard the next day.

That some creepy insight into Dick Harmon
    Class act.

This graph is amazing.

UtahBYUWinProb.png

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    On the run game against Washington, what do you think about Utah's standard strategy of wearing down the opposing defense? Usually that results in good 2nd half success in the run game. Don't we have to pound UW to some extent? Also, BYU clearly keyed on Covey, but didn't that leave valuable opportunities for Utah to throw to Nacua and Simpkins?
    I don't think that philopshy of wearing down the other opponent will work against UW. They basically shut down Wazzu last week (albeit in a snow storm). Wazzu recovered two fumbles deep in Washington territory in that game, and only managed to get 7 points out of them. They also blocked an incredibly low extra point and returned it for 2 points, so Wazzu really had one scoring drive during the game. That's Wazzu! UW has a defense that scares the crap out of me. You people that were rooting for UW are crazy; I'd much rather be facing WSU.

On the decision to key on Covey. I don't know because I couldn't see the receivers, but it certainly wasn't the case that our receivers were running free because of the effort to contain Covey. {Simpkins had a handful of 5 yard gains, but nothing big that I remember; Nacua had the one TD catch (against the backup LBer) and that's it irc}. And what happened to our TEs? Our receiving corp (and Shelley) are going to really have to step up their game against UW. But it was nice to see Mariner step up (but for the love of everything holy, can you please block your db on the Covey screen), as well as Enis (Although Shelley missed him on a couple of throws).

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This graph is amazing.

UtahBYUWinProb.png
    A respectful homage from the players to make the visiting team feel more comfortable.

Y mountain probability.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This graph is amazing.

UtahBYUWinProb.png
    In-game wagering could've gotten you +900 on Utah when the score was 27-7 late third quarter. Wish I would've stayed to watch at work so I could've taken advantage.

I thought this was really interesting analysis by Hans Olson:

http://www.1280thezone.com/hans-film...C6pV5bguK3LL2s

--Yeats