Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It appears that the Deseret News has already thrown in the towel.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...70-points.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The money quote:

After seven straight Utah wins, reflecting back to BYU’s glory days is just about all the Cougars can do these days. Until BYU does something about it on the field, memory is a pacifier.
    I remember the morning after that 70-point game. One of the speakers at our stake priesthood meeting went out of his way to gloat about it. That was what that 10-year stretch was like for so many of us.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Blaine Fowler on Riley’s show today said Zach Wilson reminds him of Jim McMahon. Blaine went into detail in that comparison. I think it’s adorable when BYU fans see the greatness of the (distant) past in every new quarterback that comes along.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The money quote:

I remember the morning after that 70-point game. One of the speakers at our stake priesthood meeting went out of his way to gloat about it. That was what that 10-year stretch was like for so many of us.
    At that game some fan walked down the bleacher stairs passing out paper bags to cover our heads in shame.
    Cougar fans won that battle, but we achieved a total, undisputed, and permanent victory in the war.

I listened to Bill Reilly interview Kalani today and was a bit surprised to hear Kalani say that everything they have done since starting workouts last January was pointing toward the game with Utah. That this is by far the most important game they will play this year and that he wants his guys to enjoy the experience and compete each and every play. Utah is clearly the more talented team but this game has been close in the past when the Utes had a clear talent advantage. I expect a close game through the first half and hope the Utes come out win this without needing to score or stop BYU from scoring in the last five minutes.

Fun read:

The hater's guide to Rivalry Week

https://es.pn/2A7lBid

--Yeats

Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

Ute Insiders: The best games in Utah-BYU rivalry ... from Utah's perspective

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rspective.html

--Yeats

On November 24, 1973, a favored Utah (7-3) hosted 3-6 BYU in the second year under LaVell Edwards at Ute Stadium in a fierce snowstorm. The Utes were coming off a win against USU and had beaten #8 ASU a great game earlier in the season. The Utes lost 46-22. I was there. Please, lets not have a repeat.

So SeattleUte, I’d love to hear how the Wilson’s are approaching this game, if you wouldn’t mind sharing some insider views with us? Do they see that any move Utah failed to make was strictly a business decision or do they see it as a personal slight and have turned their back on the whole program. I know Zach and some of them attended one of the Utah games earlier this year.

Zach seems like a solid kid and I hate it when legacy kids have to find a home some place for their college years (or even when a highly recruited legacy kid goes somewhere else). I just hope that when that happens, both parties recognize it for what it is and treats it with respect and sensitivity.

I don’t think it’s going to be a good day to be a BYU quarterback.

So SeattleUte, I’d love to hear how the Wilson’s are approaching this game, if you wouldn’t mind sharing some insider views with us? Do they see that any move Utah failed to make was strictly a business decision or do they see it as a personal slight and have turned their back on the whole program. I know Zach and some of them attended one of the Utah games earlier this year.

Zach seems like a solid kid and I hate it when legacy kids have to find a home some place for their college years (or even when a highly recruited legacy kid goes somewhere else). I just hope that when that happens, both parties recognize it for what it is and treats it with respect and sensitivity.

Are we required to spill beer on SeattleUte's sis and bil now?

I have a policy against public posting about Zach. But this seems innocuous enough, as it’s not strictly about Zach. They see it as a business decision. They know how it works, and they’re not angry people. They still love the Utes and cheer for them when they’re not playing against Zach. Zach’s dad played for Whit when he was defensive coordinator and he took Zach to all of Whit’s camps. Their next son is one of the best linebackers in the state, and I’m sure he’d entertain an offer from Utah. Besides, this has worked out well for Zach. Remember, he had offers from Syracuse and Cal, so he had strong reasons to go to BYU that admittedly coincided with reasons he wanted Utah most (it wasn’t about religion). BYU wasn’t a last resort or panic pick.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Byu loses 2 more rbs and line goes from -13 to -11
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Byu loses 2 more rbs and line goes from -13 to -11
    10.5 now
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Apparently Shyne is out tonight.

Apparently Shyne is out tonight.

Ha. Fake concussion.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Spot them 6 points. Ok let's run the football

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Ha. Fake concussion.
    To go along with ByU’s Fake announced scratches for injuries. Gamesmanship on both sides?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Well, that’s one way to start the rivalry game that we haven’t tried for awhile.

Ran the ball 3 times in the first quarter

Pretty embarrassing so far. No other way to describe it.

--Yeats

Let’s make it eight straight: Utah vs. BYU, 2018

That’s twice we’ve gone long on 3rd and 4. Why not just get the first down?

--Yeats

Boy kaufusi is dumb to play in this game. He could screw up a pro career

Nightmare.

--Yeats

Shelly has been short on his deep passes

What on earth is happening? How are we getting knocked around by BYU? Our offense has been pathetic, and our defense looks completely stretched out. Anyone have any bright ideas about adjustments the Utes might make in the second half? This game is starting to remind me of the ASU game, and THAT makes me hot under the collar.

Quote Originally Posted by AnestheUte View Post
    What on earth is happening? How are we getting knocked around by BYU? Our offense has been pathetic, and our defense looks completely stretched out. Anyone have any bright ideas about adjustments the Utes might make in the second half? This game is starting to remind me of the ASU game, and THAT makes me hot under the collar.
    The ASU game was supposed to be our ??? game for the season. Looks like we’re going for two this year. This one is shaping up to be a special kind of embarrassing.

--Yeats

We'll see the Utes mettle in this second half. At the very least we need to make this uncomfortable for BYU. Place the seeds of doubt in their mind.

In all reality, we should have had 2 INT's in that first half (that I think would have ended TD drives if I'm remembering right). We need to complete those big plays, and not just break it up. AND that holding play on our first play out of that BYU timeout after we got some momentum was just back-breaking. A TD on that drive would have changed the outlook of that half.

Thank you Blackmon!

Washington is going to destroy us, and we're going to play in the Las Vegas bowl (and get our asses kicked there too)

Kyle should be embarrassed by this. Shyne has no vision shelly has all day to throw but can't find anyone. Now we have to throw because we don't stick with the run. Just a complete shit show. Our d coordinator doesn't blitz a freshman qb. Basic stuff