Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Legacy thread

Wooden Legacy thread

First up.... Hawaii. The Utes favored by 9
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Will get Seton Hall with a win.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

man crush on Timmy Allen

I wish topalovich could use the backboard
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Be nice if we could hit a free throw

I'd complain, but my expectations for this squad are pretty low. Larry seems to be playing everyone a handful of minutes still.

Parker Van Dyke struggles to be in the right place defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Parker Van Dyke struggles to be in the right place defensively.

That's an understatement

I haven’t had the chance to watch college basketball this year.

Two thoughts.

1) The sheer number of whistles makes the game so hard to watch

2) Parker Van Dyke is just a mess defensively.

Why have van dyke on stepteau?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Why have van dyke on stepteau?
    Half the time we were in Zone....and Parker seems to forget he’s a guard.

turnovers, missed shots this has been brutal

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    PVD, Gach, Jones, Hendrix...someone needs to do something to deserve some playing time. I guess PVD hit a three, and Hendrix made 3 free throws.

Going into this season, I think we knew we would need Barefield to shed his all-or-nothing ways. I think we also knew, deep down, that he is who he is.
    PVD’s 3 is negated by the 10+ he gave up on D

2 points so far in the first 6 minutes of the half

I'm blaming that chemical in turkey that makes you sleepy. I bet Hawaii had chicken or spam for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

What I meant to say is Grand Canyon with a loss. Our saving grace here is that NW has a decent ranking and is also in the losers bracket...if we can find a way to beat GCU.

“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

After a game like this, with a newly assembled and young team like this, you have to look for bright spots in the box score. Tonight it was Battin and Johnson.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    After a game like this, with a newly assembled and young team like this, you have to look for bright spots in the box score. Tonight it was Battin and Johnson.
    The key to this team is Barefield. If he is a no show like last night we will lose

I think it starts at the defensive end. Except for the last 5 minutes of the game it looked like most of the guys really weren't that committed to play tough defense. If we cannot play defense, we cannot win. We don't have consistent scorers in the half-court to get away with lackadaisical effort on defense.

I wonder with a young team whether playing a terrible team like MVSU gave them a false sense of confidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    The key to this team is Barefield. If he is a no show like last night we will lose
    My point is, this team is a work in progress and is unlikely to go anywhere. So you need to find something else to interest you about it, like the progress of players who may return next season.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

My point is, this team is a work in progress and is unlikely to go anywhere. So you need to find something else to interest you about it, like the progress of players who may return next season.
    I agree. However, there are fans out there (Twitter, UFN) calling for Krystkowiak's job over this loss. I think it is way to early for that.

This may be the most talent Larry has ever put together. But I think this is a also a quintessential team that is going to take time to gel. There is talent, but Larry has to learn how to use them together, and they have to learn how to play with each other.

If we don't see improvement over the course of the season, then that may be an indictment of Larry's ability to coach a team, rather than just developing individual players.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

It is the most talent, but it is not 1 & done freshmen talent, so it will take time before they are a good team. Plus, the seniors are not really leaders, so the freshmen are basically learning on their own. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 of them at one time on the court.
    Good news they probably all are 4 year players, & if so they will be really good in 2-3 years.

All that being said: Chuck Jones is a disappointment. Really good athlete, not a really good basketball player. And PVD is not a point guard--he is catch & shoot only.

Best point guard is probably Goch. He & Vante need as many minutes as they can get.---(but that probably means fewer wins this year).

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I agree. However, there are fans out there (Twitter, UFN) calling for Krystkowiak's job over this loss. I think it is way to early for that.

This may be the most talent Larry has ever put together. But I think this is a also a quintessential team that is going to take time to gel. There is talent, but Larry has to learn how to use them together, and they have to learn how to play with each other.

If we don't see improvement over the course of the season, then that may be an indictment of Larry's ability to coach a team, rather than just developing individual players.
    The frustration with Larry is over three things ...

1. His salary. He's ranked in the top 15 nationally in salary, and Utah is far from being one of the top 15 teams in the country. As for Larry needing time to find what works, that's a weak excuse at this level. I don't expect us to be in peak form right now, but I don't expect to have our doors blown off by a 200-plus ranked team from the Big West.

2. His scheduling the previous two years. We never should've been in the NIT with a talent like Kuzma, and we should've never been in the NIT with the experience we had last year (If Larry schedules up in those years and we make the NCAAs, these rough patches would be a little more acceptable.). He does get credit for scheduling up this year -- it will pay dividends with this team down the road.

3. The "bad" losses are starting to pile up. 1-17 Oregon State and San Francisco State in Kuzma's final year. Hawaii last night. And while not on the same plane, we've gone 1-and-done and lost to lower-seeded teams the last two years in Vegas.

It's been a while since the program over-delivered. Finishing ahead of media projections in league play is nice, but if the best we can get out of such "overachieving" years is the NIT, I can promise the grumbling will get louder. The unsettling thing for me is that we really did look like the 9th best team in the Pac-12 last night. Early returns tonight continue to send that message.

Dad joke warning: if you beat Grand Canyon do you advance to play Yellowstone?

I love the move to start gach. Allows sed to play more off the ball. Hoping we can grow from here.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I love the move to start gach. Allows sed to play more off the ball. Hoping we can grow from here.
    We should have played gach on the 5'9 guard from hawaii instead of pvd

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Probably. He did foul out in 20 minutes in that game. Gach may be the best PG on the team, like OldStanding suggests, but it's a low bar. He doesn't have great control or handle, and he turns it over a lot. He went 8-8 from the line last night, which was refreshing after all the missed FTs vs Hawaii (the team was 19-22).

I want more rebounding out of Timmy Allen.

38 minutes for both Tillman and Barefield. I think that will be normal this season.

Topa with 6 rebounds in 10 minutes last night.

Is Battin the best of the freshmen?

PVD with 4 assists and only 1 turnover.

Was Jones really a JUCO player of the year?
    It is a low bar-----but he will get better with experience, whereas Sedrick & PVD are not going to change.

Agree with you rpoints.

Hendrix?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Whether he remains after this season should depend on the progress of the younger players and whether they stay.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Whether he remains after this season should depend on the progress of the younger players and whether they stay.
    Perhaps the best 2-year recruiting span in program history, and yet I still fear we are in for yet another total rebuild next year.