Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holiday Bowl 2018: Utah Utes vs. Northwestern Wildcats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I admire your dedication to the run, but giving shyne more chances in that game would have been unacceptable.
    Up 17 to start 2nd half perhaps 6 straight passes wasnt all that smart.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I agree, but it was the passing game that gave us that 17 point lead.

Truth is, our offense lost a dimension when moss went out.
    Without Moss, we started off one-dimensional. NW adjusted, and we couldn't compensate. Add in a few of our FR receivers getting cases of the drops in the end zone, our FR QB making a pair of ill-advised passes, a couple of extraordinary bounces that went NW's way, and NW's exceptional ball-stripping techniques, we just weren't able to find any traction to start the momentum in our direction.

Frankly this was WVU's problem against us last year. They were without their Heisman- finalist QB, best WR, etc. They couldn't compensate for our adjustments and couldn't get going.

Holiday Bowl 2018: Utah Utes vs. Northwestern Wildcats

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Without Moss, we started off one-dimensional. NW adjusted, and we couldn't compensate. Add in a few of our FR receivers getting cases of the drops in the end zone, our FR QB making a pair of ill-advised passes, a couple of extraordinary bounces that went NW's way, and NW's exceptional ball-stripping techniques, we just weren't able to find any traction to start the momentum in our direction.

Frankly this was WVU's problem against us last year. They were without their Heisman- finalist QB, best WR, etc. They couldn't compensate for our adjustments and couldn't get going.
    I think you are right. One minor quibble: Shyne can be effective but unlike Moss, he needs a hole to squirt through. Our OL wasn’t able to give him many of those, especially in the second half. Credit NW’s DL and LBs. We stuffed NW’s running the first half (-8 yards rushing) and they mostly stuffed ours in the second.

As MRD points out, throwing 6 straight passes to start the 2nd half looks pretty bad now. With Moss as our primary back we kept pounding and it seems like the second halves of games were when Moss did the most damage. Shyne isn’t that kind of pounding back, and maybe that’s what Taylor was thinking when he repeatedly put the ball in the air during the rainiest part of the game. It didn’t work out.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think you are right. One minor quibble: Shyne can be effective but unlike Moss, he needs a hole to squirt through. Our OL wasn’t able to give him many of those, especially in the second half. Credit NW’s DL and LBs. We stuffed NW’s running the first half (-8 yards rushing) and they mostly stuffed ours in the second.

As MRD points out, throwing 6 straight passes to start the 2nd half looks pretty bad now. With Moss as our primary back we kept pounding and it seems like the second halves of games were when Moss did the most damage. Shyne isn’t that kind of pounding back, and maybe that’s what Taylor was thinking when he repeatedly put the ball in the air during the rainiest part of the game. It didn’t work out.

Since returning from injury Shyne has seemed to lack vision. He often seems to lower his head and plow into a defender or his own lineman.

I honestly often wonder if there aren’t holes or if Shyne just doesn’t see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Since returning from injury Shyne has seemed to lack vision. He often seems to lower his head and plow into a defender or his own lineman.

I honestly often wonder if there aren’t holes or if Shyne just doesn’t see them.
    Fair point. It did seem like he was running into walls. I assumed that was because NW was doing a good job. Maybe it was actually Shyne who could see only the wall. If I can ever bring myself to watch the 2nd half again I’ll watch for that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

People are giving northwestern too much credit. They didn't take the game from us. We gave the game away. What they did is take advantage of our gifts to seize momentum.
    Good point to remember. Probably the best Occam’s Razor analysis.

--Yeats

Important question: Has anyone checked on Joel Klatt to make sure he recovered from Thorson's injury?

Just got back from San Diego, today and yesterday not a cloud in the sky and nearly 70 degrees. Sigh. Holiday Bowl was one of the most miserable weather games I have ever been to. Stadium is so old that the stands dont drain water very well, so not only were we pelted with rain, but standing in a few inches of water as well. What's odd us that the forecast had no mention of rain till the morning of. Brrrr. Crazy to think that one of the coldest Itah games ever was in San Diego, but a lot of people felt the same way
    Last edited by Scorcho; 01-02-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was always Harvey Langi's problem at RB. But he somehow ran upright but with his head down.

Again, Shelley had a great first half throwing the ball. Even when we had to take a fg at the end of the half, Shelley threw three great balls that were dropped. On the same possession, shyne was unable to get the ball anywhere on multiple attempts. Throwing to start the second half was not crazy in any way.

People are giving northwestern too much credit. They didn't take the game from us. We gave the game away. What they did is take advantage of our gifts to seize momentum.
    This. Too little is being made of our receiver corps and their inability to (a) catch the ball and (b) hold on to it when they do. I love JayDix, but come on! That fumble near midfield was a killer, not to mention the other fumble earlier in the game, and the dropped TD at the end of the half. Fotheringham also dropped a GIMME touchdown in the end zone (that led to a fg) and stopped running his route that resulted in one of the dozens of 3rd quarter INTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    This. Too little is being made of our receiver corps and their inability to (a) catch the ball and (b) hold on to it when they do. I love JayDix, but come on! That fumble near midfield was a killer, not to mention the other fumble earlier in the game, and the dropped TD at the end of the half. Fotheringham also dropped a GIMME touchdown in the end zone (that led to a fg) and stopped running his route that resulted in one of the dozens of 3rd quarter INTs.
    Not to mention dixon dropping Huntley's pass at the 2 against asu or mariner against uw, both of which resukted in fluke interceptions and literally turned those games.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Not to mention dixon dropping Huntley's pass at the 2 against asu or mariner against uw, both of which resukted in fluke interceptions and literally turned those games.
    True. The Holiday Bowl was a stunning example of how devastating TOs are. All the other big problems stemmed from those. The D was on the field and got tired. The O didn’t have enough possessions to stay ahead or catch up. Momentum was killed and NW had it all.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    True. The Holiday Bowl was a stunning example of how devastating TOs are. All the other big problems stemmed from those. The D was on the field and got tired. The O didn’t have enough possessions to stay ahead or catch up. Momentum was killed and NW had it all.
    Alex Markham@AMarkhamRivals Dec 31More

Biggest Holiday Bowl takeaway? You can’t beat a good team when you commit 6 turnovers, unless that team is BYU.

https://twitter.com/AMarkhamRivals/s...55170560114688

Shyne is not Moss, but the OL was putrid. They got no push. They were routinely beaten by their man and standing there watching while that guy made a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Shyne is not Moss, but the OL was putrid. They got no push. They were routinely beaten by their man and standing there watching while that guy made a tackle.
    You pointed it out in one of the threads, our OL play this year was so inconsistent all year. This was on full display Monday night. They were awful. Hands down the group I was most disappointed in this season given the amount of experience that we had coming back. Like you said in the other thread, for this reason I will be very upset if Harding is named OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    You pointed it out in one of the threads, our OL play this year was so inconsistent all year. This was on full display Monday night. They were awful. Hands down the group I was most disappointed in this season given the amount of experience that we had coming back. Like you said in the other thread, for this reason I will be very upset if Harding is named OC.
    And likely to be significantly worse next year?

Holiday Bowl 2018: Utah Utes vs. Northwestern Wildcats

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Alex Markham@AMarkhamRivals Dec 31More
    Biggest Holiday Bowl takeaway? You can’t beat a good team when you commit 6 turnovers, unless that team is BYU.

https://twitter.com/AMarkhamRivals/s...55170560114688
    I posted something (I think) a little while ago showing that 78% of the time the team with fewer turnovers wins the game.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-03-2019 at 12:51 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    And likely to be significantly worse next year?
    Could be. Lose 3 guys that played significant roles. Good thing is that we have recruited well there. Hopefully a couple of these young kids can develop. Based on what I saw this year, if Moss does come back, this is my biggest concern for the 2019 team.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The run blocking stunk. In the first half the pass blocking was excellent. Shelley had all day to throw. Second half, not as good.