Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Bowl 2018: Utah Utes vs. Northwestern Wildcats

A concession vendor said he has worked over 400 events here at the Murph, and this is only the third or fourth time he remembers it raining. It coming down pretty hard right now. We are lucky that be just under the overhang on the plaza level.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Ancestry advertising on a college football bowl game. Weird. I wonder why.
    Because it’s a hugely popular business?

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...-1277141059680
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I’m calling them capes.

I guess 3rd qtr is "cute time" for taylor
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I don't love the body language this half.

Nw is in the game because taylor doesn't just run the damn ball
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

2 straight turnovers lead to 2 straight NW TDs. Having to settle for FGs now hurts us a lot.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    2 straight turnovers lead to 2 straight NW TDs. Having to settle for FGs now hurts us a lot.
    Make that 3 straight. Let’s see if we blow this one into another NW TD.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I don't think you can pin this on Taylor. Shyne has been awful.

This third quarter is a never ending vortex of suckiness.

Taylor's not running it because Shyne is averaging 2.4 yards per carry

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Starts 2nd half up 20-3. 5 straight passes and ends in int

3 passes and out

Gets down to 1st and goal at 5. Qb fumbles on a pass play

Shyne is unusable. Yards after first contact might be negative.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Starts 2nd half up 20-3. 5 straight passes and ends in int

3 passes and out

Gets down to 1st and goal at 5. Qb fumbles on a pass play
    Through the middle of the third quarter we were averaging 7.4 yards per pass attempt. Hello of a lot better than our run game. Shelley was our only run threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Through the middle of the third quarter we were averaging 7.4 yards per pass attempt. Hello of a lot better than our run game. Shelley was our only run threat.
    He has had all night to throw for sure. If you notice nw couldn't run but they stuck with it.

6 turnovers ugg

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    This third quarter is a never ending vortex of suckiness.
    The worst quarter of Utah football ever? 4 turnovers, 4 opponent touchdowns (3 off the turnovers) and no points of our own.

The BYU game in reverse.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

What a collapse. Has there ever been one that was worse?

I’m not sure Shyne was that bad. The o-line didn’t seem to be able to open any holes for him.

Statistically it’s very hard to win with 6 TOs. I’ve heard the number — a 10% chance? I don’t recall — but it’s pretty low. Didn’t all 4 of Northwestern’s TDs in the 3rd quarter come right after a TO?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What a collapse. Has there ever been one that was worse?

I’m not sure Shyne was that bad. The o-line didn’t seem to be able to open any holes for him.

Statistically it’s very hard to win with 6 TOs. I’ve heard the number — a 10% chance? I don’t recall — but it’s pretty low. Didn’t all 4 of Northwestern’s TDs in the 3rd quarter come right after a TO?
    I’m pretty sure one was after we punted after a 3 and out. The last turnover happe nd right at the end of the third quarter.

I dont know if you could tell on TV, but the weather was miserable. Cold and wet. We finally get a bowl at a warm weather location and weather doesnt cooperate.

I think this is a different game without the rain

The highlights of this game are going to look like a blooper reel.

--Yeats

Better yet, take a knee on every O snap—do we win?

Holiday Bowl 2018: Utah Utes vs. Northwestern Wildcats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Gave it away. That was rough. There was only one way to lose after that first half, and that was to give it away.

I don't know if any injury this season cost its team more than the moss injury cost us. The drop off is staggering.

Question: if we come out in the second half, run on every down, go three and out on every series, don't turn it over, and average 50 yards per punt...do we win?
    Interesting. What you describe is Kyleball at its most extreme, but I don’t think even Whitt at his most conservative would have planned around such an unlikely string of errors.

It seems like a chicken-and-egg problem: Our run defense fell apart. Which came first, the TOs or the defensive collapse? Did that collapse occur because the TOs demoralized the Ute defense, or would it have happened anyway? We had made NW 1-dimensional in the first half — they had -8 yards rushing. Could they have scored 3 TDs without our TOs by rushing and passing as they did in the 2nd half? Maybe, maybe not.

Our TOs were outliers. I don’t recall all of them, but IIRC 2 were picks of tipped passes that hit our receivers in their hands. 2 more were stripped from Utah ball carriers (Shelley once and a receiver once.) 1 was just Shelley putting the ball on the ground as he was tackled, resulting in a TD for Northwestern. I don’t remember the other one. (I can’t bring myself to read about the game and find out.) Running pass plays is risky, and the ultra-conservative approach your hypothetical describes would reduce the risk. But the turnovers Utah made last night were such repeated basic failures to take care of the ball that I don’t think anyone could plan for them or even expect the failures to continue as they did. It was bizarre.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-01-2019 at 12:55 PM.

--Yeats

Shelly throwing 47 times in the rain is unacceptable

This morning’s sky in San Diego. I wish we’d had this weather yesterday.

--Yeats

I’m over it. We won’t have another quarter like that in my lifetime — at least under this regime. If all our current juniors return, and our new OL finds a positive identity, we should be good next season, and I mean really, really good.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I’m over it. We won’t have another quarter like that in my lifetime — at least under this regime. If all our current juniors return, and our new OL finds a positive identity, we should be good next season, and I mean really, really good.
    I saw where Cody Barton just kind of said the team crapped the bed in the second half and it happens sometimes in football. I tend to agree. The rain wreaked havoc and Utah didn't handle it well but every error seemed to result in the best case scenario for Northwestern. Tipped passes finding NW defenders, fumbles bouncing perfectly for NW players to pick them up in stride for big returns, even a couple of times NW fumbled and it bounced right back into their hands. Utah's turnovers were all committed by freshmen, they will learn and be better for it.

I agree, that third quarter was like a bolt of lightning that we won't likely see again. It sucked, but it happens sometimes. I'll just try to remember how well Utah played in the first half (a couple of redzone failures aside) and that they did it without their top three offensive players and their best defensive player.

The near future still looks very bright for this team. (We need a solution at RB if Moss leaves).

Saw some Y fans saying that F. Bernard got exposed last night, was out of position, slow, etc, and that we really missed Chase. Anybody have that same reactiion re Bernard?

Also need a solution at both safety positions. Who is going to replace Blair and Ballard?