Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I hope if happens often, but, really, how many teams on our schedule are teams we should be putting away early? 2? 3?
    I'm mainly interested in keeping the gas pedal down and not letting up if we get a 10-14 point lead. But since you asked, I think we could put away these teams early:

BYU
    Northern Illinois
    Idaho State
    Oregon State
    Cal
    Colorado

From what I've heard, Cal might even be a trap game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm mainly interested in keeping the gas pedal down and not letting up if we get a 10-14 point lead. But since you asked, I think we could put away these teams early:

BYU
    Northern Illinois
    Idaho State
    Oregon State
    Cal
    Colorado

From what I've heard, Cal might even be a trap game.
    We could put anyone away early. No one expected us to rout Oregon in 2015, but we sure did. In general, though, we aren't a team that is built for blowouts. I expect plenty of close games. I do think we generally do a good job of deciding when to press an advantage and when to run clock. I can't count how many times I've seen teams blow leads by trying to extend rather than sitting on the ball. I've also seen plenty of games lost by sitting on the ball rather then pressing an attack. I guess that's why the coaches make the big bucks.

I've also been thinking of Cal as a potential trap game.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We could put anyone away early. No one expected us to rout Oregon in 2015, but we sure did. In general, though, we aren't a team that is built for blowouts. I expect plenty of close games. I do think we generally do a good job of deciding when to press an advantage and when to run clock. I can't count how many times I've seen teams blow leads by trying to extend rather than sitting on the ball. I've also seen plenty of games lost by sitting on the ball rather then pressing an attack. I guess that's why the coaches make the big bucks.

I've also been thinking of Cal as a potential trap game.
    BTW, I don't want to discount the Month of October last season. We blew out Stanford, Arizona, USC and UCLA in succession. It was glorious. I hope we see more of that this year. I don't want style points, and margin of victory is not important except for BYU fans in the 1980s (and in the pre-flop Crowton years). But I don't like getting up 10 points and then changing the offensive plan. I don't recall seeing that last season either.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    BTW, I don't want to discount the Month of October last season. We blew out Stanford, Arizona, USC and UCLA in succession. It was glorious. I hope we see more of that this year. I don't want style points, and margin of victory is not important except for BYU fans in the 1980s (and in the pre-flop Crowton years). But I don't like getting up 10 points and then changing the offensive plan. I don't recall seeing that last season either.
    We actually did a good job last year overcoming slow starts. We were behind at the end of the first quarter in 5 of our wins last year (including Weber St and Northern Illinois).
    People who wear glasses/contacts are not allowed to celbrqte the rear 2020. Go eat some carrots or get LASIK.