Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

It appears there is only one job in Colorado for a Funny Guy, but apparently 6 jobs for a "Guy Online". I was too afraid to click on the link to see what that was all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    It appears there is only one job in Colorado for a Funny Guy, but apparently 6 jobs for a "Guy Online". I was too afraid to click on the link to see what that was all about.
    "Guy Online" summarizes me quite well. I will take the job!

The real season can now begin. I am happy the Utes won. Moss is a stud. The OL improved as the game went on. Hopefully the two OL who left with injuries are not out for long. TE's need to block better. Huntley was efficient and funny. WR's need more opportunities over the next few weeks. We will need the passing game to be more productive and produce more chunk plays as the competition improves. DL was solid. LB's were flying around, but need to be a little more disciplined. DB's were good. Should have had two additional picks (one drop by Burgess and I think the other was Lloyd. My kingdom is small, but I would give it for a kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The real season can now begin.
    After last night, I believe we have a typical Utah team. We're probably not much better or much worse than the Utah teams of the past 5 years. This is usually enough for us to be top 25 good. Our style demands a good kicker, though, and we may not have one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    After last night, I believe we have a typical Utah team. We're probably not much better or much worse than the Utah teams of the past 5 years. This is usually enough for us to be top 25 good. Our style demands a good kicker, though, and we may not have one of those.
    May not? I'd love to have BYU's kicker and their TE.

I think it is hard to judge how good we will be on one game against our rival. The defense looked good, not much room for the WRs; but, BYU's receivers have last names like Milne and Romney so I'm not sure how much to read into that. The linebackers held up better than I thought they would. The best thing about last night/this morning was that we made Wilson look below average, and we know he's pretty good.

The one truly worrisome position (besides kicker) is offensive line. I saw two O-linemen leave with injury. That's not good for a thin unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    May not?
    I said "may" because I want to give the backup a chance. Yes, he didn't win the position in camp, but he still deserves a look.

I said "may" because I want to give the backup a chance. Yes, he didn't win the position in camp, but he still deserves a look.
    It’s also been reported the “backup” was the clear front runner until missing 2 weeks of camp with an injury, for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It’s also been reported the “backup” was the clear front runner until missing 2 weeks of camp with an injury, for what it’s worth.

We needed to endure a missed field goal to earn Matt Gay. Bring on the back-up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

That is true. A friend who attends all practices thought Redding was much more consistent in camp and would win the job. Must not have the leg strength, since he wont do kickoffs.
    Last edited by concerned; 08-30-2019 at 06:04 PM.

I hope this comes through. Tell me if you can't see it. From the Wall Street Journal, College Football's Grid of Shame. Look where Utah sits:

The Wall Street Journal’s Grid of Shame is back, and there has been a lot of shame to calculate in college sports since the last time we convened.

The Grid helps fans determine how bad they should feel about feeling good about their favorite football team. It measures both how good major college football teams are on the gridiron, and how disgraceful they are off of it.

Each team’s location on the grid is determined by advanced numerical calculations and verified by the Journal’s resident sports nerds, who make sure a team’s location also reflects intangible factors that don’t come through in the data.

The Grid features only legitimate Football Bowl Subdivision contenders: each of the 64 schools in the five major conferences, plus a handful of other relevant programs. This season that included independent Notre Dame and the University of Central Florida, among others.

The horizontal axis is straightforward: the more dominant a team is expected to be on the field, the farther right they land. Each team’s ranking is a composite of several pre-season polls, some ordered by the eye tests, others by multivariable mathematical equations.

Things get interesting on the vertical axis, otherwise known as the shame meter. The lower a team falls the more ignominy it heaps upon its fanbase.

Shame is quantified using a weighted calculation of several football-related factors: academic performance, recent NCAA violations and probation, attendance figures, athletic-department subsidies and arrests of players and coaches.

There are some offenses so outside the lines, however, that they can’t quite be captured by numbers alone. That’s where the “ick factor” comes into play.

Any school involved in a scandal, regardless of whether it happened during the last calendar year or directly implicated the university’s football program, takes a hit. And with the non-stop headlines about college-sports scandals over the past year, there has been, if anything, an uptick in the number of teams moving lower on the shame axis. Enable a sexual predator for 20-plus years? You’re going down. Let students buy admission by posing as recruits? Take a trip south.

In the end, how you feel is dictated by where you sit on the Grid. The upper right quadrant means you’re a strong team that has come by your success respectably, like Washington—a perennial contender for the Pac-12 title with few violations or arrests. The upper left is home to the Boston Colleges of the world: teams that are indisputably bad, but their demerits come from losing games rather than breaking rules....
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-02-2019 at 11:30 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I hope this comes through. Tell me if you can't see it. From the Wall Street Journal, College Football's Grid of Shame. Look where Utah sits:

No access to the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    No access to the grid.
    The graphic tells you the story. Can you can see that?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Nope. I did see it somewhere recently though. Utah was up and to the right (where you want to be).

Here you go:

UTEgrid.jpg

--Yeats

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 09-04-2019 at 05:02 PM.

It looks like the Twitter BBCode is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It looks like the Twitter BBCode is broken.
    Weird. I just tried it again and it seems to work now. Apologies.

Here you go:

UTEgrid.jpg
    What has Michigan State done to piss off the Wall Street Journal?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    What has Michigan State done to piss off the Wall Street Journal?
    I assume it is the fiasco around the school gymnastics doctor who was sexual abusing the girls for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I assume it is the fiasco around the school gymnastics doctor who was sexual abusing the girls for years.
    Yes. The article accompanying the chart (but behind the paywall) says so.

--Yeats

I know it is hard to gauge too much after 2 games against opponents we should beat, but the Utes look like a top 25 team, but not a top 20 team. We again won’t learn much this week. USC looked pretty impressive after the first quarter and the fighting Leaches look to be in good form. We will know whether the Utes are a contender or pretender before October. I’m a little less optimistic than I was based on our play to date and USC’s. Their wins are probably better than our two wins.

I know it is hard to gauge too much after 2 games against opponents we should beat, but the Utes look like a top 25 team, but not a top 20 team. We again won’t learn much this week. USC looked pretty impressive after the first quarter and the fighting Leaches look to be in good form. We will know whether the Utes are a contender or pretender before October. I’m a little less optimistic than I was based on our play to date and USC’s. Their wins are probably better than our two wins.
    I don’t know how much we know about anyone. Watching the USC game Stanford’s defense looked lost. There was little resistance put up.

Like I said last week, I think we are more or less the same team we've been in the past 5 years, which is a good team.

Like I said last week, I think we are more or less the same team we've been in the past 5 years, which is a good team.
    I'm thinking 9-3 or maybe 8-4 if there are injuries to key players.

--Yeats

I'm thinking 9-3 or maybe 8-4 if there are injuries to key players.
    ESPN's FPI gives the following odds:

Basically a 0% chance of finishing worse than 6-6.

6-6, 1.02%
    7-5, 4.96%
    8-4, 15.02%
    9-3, 27.89%
    10-2, 30.16%
    11-1, 17%
    12-0, 3.81%

Add it up, and that's a 70% chance of finishing in the 8-10 win range.

ESPN's FPI gives the following odds:

Basically a 0% chance of finishing worse than 6-6.

6-6, 1.02%
    7-5, 4.96%
    8-4, 15.02%
    9-3, 27.89%
    10-2, 30.16%
    11-1, 17%
    12-0, 3.81%

Add it up, and that's a 70% chance of finishing in the 8-10 win range.
    Sounds like smart thinking to me, and well-designed to avoid serious disappointment. I've now seen several people say "Wow, we might have to worry about USC now," or silly words to that effect. I hope we finally beat USC at the Coliseum and I will be at that game, prepared to be wildly happy if we do win. But a win will be a significant accomplishment.

--Yeats

I typically will sandbag my expectations with Utah football, but I can't remember when Utah football had a better start, both games were essentially over at the start of the 4th quarter (not great opponents, but solid)

Offense - Huntley is playing terrific, hasn't been sacked yet, 0 turnovers, few penalties with 2 OL out

Defense - has been solid (gave up a few big plays on Sat, but shut them down in the 2nd half) with some key players missing time

Special Teams - kicking game is going to be a concern, but everything else looks good.

I smell Roses

Stanford is a mess internally right now. It's surprising from a Shaw team, but there's a lot going on there. Additionally, their D is very lacking athletically. They never should have been ranked.

By the way, even though he claims to be an SLC resident, apparently LA Ute is too cool to attend home openers now but he'll go to games in the Coliseum. You can take the man out of LA but you can't take the LA out of the man . . .

Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dwight schr-ute View Post
    we needed to endure a missed field goal to earn matt gay. Bring on the back-up!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    [previous response no longer operative]
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-09-2019 at 01:11 PM.

--Yeats