Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

LA taking Dwight to the woodshed! I guess he won’t talking about Utah’s kicking game like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    LA taking Dwight to the woodshed! I guess he won’t talking about Utah’s kicking game like that again.
    Actually, that reply was meant for scratch. That's what I get for trying to use Tapatalk while walking my dogs.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    By the way, even though he claims to be an SLC resident, apparently LA Ute is too cool to attend home openers now but he'll go to games in the Coliseum. You can take the man out of LA but you can't take the LA out of the man . . .
    Nice try, you cheater. What’s really going on is that I divide my time between LA and SLC. For both of the first 2 home games I was busy making an honest living in Los Angeles. For the USC game I will stay in town to watch the game, but my entire family is coming to LA to watch it with me. Also, I have scheduled myself home in Salt Lake for all the remaining home games. I’m truly annoyed that I missed the first two. I hope this information bolsters my Utah fan bona fides.

And just for the record, I love Los Angeles.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This whole series has been excellent. This week's highlight of Demari is no exception.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/9/11/...-simpkins.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This whole series has been excellent. This week's highlight of Demari is no exception.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/9/11/...-simpkins.aspx
    on a related note, Huntley needs to get Solomon Enis the ball. If I'm correct he's been thrown to once in 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    on a related note, Huntley needs to get Solomon Enis the ball. If I'm correct he's been thrown to once in 2 games.
    I personally think that we are running very vanilla plays on offence for these first 3 games. Despite fantastic completion percentage and accuracy, Huntley has been criticized in the media and by some fans for not doing enough. I don't think Ludwig is asking him to do much right now, other than not turning the ball over.

I think when we start PAC-12 play with USC, we'll see Ludwig and Huntly open the playbook and take more risks. Huntley will throw more, and we'll take some longer shots down the field. Of course, more risk means we might see some turnovers as a result.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I personally think that we are running very vanilla plays on offence for these first 3 games. Despite fantastic completion percentage and accuracy, Huntley has been criticized in the media and by some fans for not doing enough. I don't think Ludwig is asking him to do much right now, other than not turning the ball over.

I think when we start PAC-12 play with USC, we'll see Ludwig and Huntly open the playbook and take more risks. Huntley will throw more, and we'll take some longer shots down the field. Of course, more risk means we might see some turnovers as a result.
    I'm always skeptical of fans who claim we are "hiding the playbook" to start the season. There might be some reality to the Utes not knowing aspects of the playbook, but I doubt Ludwig is saving long throw plays for USC et al. I mean, we pulled out a double pass with Cover against NIU. My guess is Ludwig realizes that Huntley does not have a rocket arm and keeps him in the 5-8 comfort range.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm always skeptical of fans who claim we are "hiding the playbook" to start the season. There might be some reality to the Utes not knowing aspects of the playbook, but I doubt Ludwig is saving long throw plays for USC et al. I mean, we pulled out a double pass with Cover against NIU. My guess is Ludwig realizes that Huntley does not have a rocket arm and keeps him in the 5-8 comfort range.
    Sure, it's not gamesmanship. It's just that we haven't been forced to go long. With a lead, we can play to our strengths. If we are behind USC in the second half, the playbook will "open up".

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sure, it's not gamesmanship. It's just that we haven't been forced to go long. With a lead, we can play to our strengths. If we are behind USC in the second half, the playbook will "open up".
    Play to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Play to the situation.
    Yes. Ludwig has said he’ll stick with what is working.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Yes. Ludwig has said he’ll stick with what is working.
    He’s also mentioned he has a very large playbook but only selects a portion of that playbook for each game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He’s also mentioned he has a very large playbook...
    Most guys lie about the size of their playbook.

I knew there was a good joke in there somewhere. You found it.

And when they get caught they just fix it with a sharpie

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He’s also mentioned he has a very large playbook but only selects a portion of that playbook for each game
    Yeah, he said about 75 plays max in any one game.

--Yeats

They have made some on-the-fly changes to try and improve the stadium experience today.

Concession stands will each have one line dedicated to drink refills.

The walkway one the the east side outside of the stadium is closed off now. This will allow fans to go ousted the east gates during halftime to presumably ease crowding in the east concourse. It will be partially shaded by game time.

There are are some trade-offs. Fans who haven’t entered the game can’t walk along the east side of the stadium, and it’s a long way around any other way. And concession stands will have one less line taking and serving orders, so expect slower and longer lines.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

This week's "Why U Play" spot light is Nick Ford. Very good.

https://utahutes.com/news/2019/9/16/...nick-ford.aspx

Interesting stuff on Whitt’s game management philosophy and why he likes to slow it down.

“We have the lowest snap count in the conference. That’s an advantage. Come the end of the year, we’ve only played 600, out opponents, like 850. That’s nearly 2 extra games. It matters.”

Last edited by Scorcho; 09-17-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    My guess is he ends up at BYU.

so I guess there are legs to the rumor that Covey is red-shirting

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    so I guess there are legs to the rumor that Covey is red-shirting

he has not been at practice this week.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    he has not been at practice this week.
    Maybe that will give us time to figure out how to use him.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe that will give us time to figure out how to use him.
    I don’t think how to use him is the problem, his inability to stay healthy is.

It’s obvious he’s not the player he was before

What level of athletic achievement do Ute fans deserve? I raise this for a couple of reasons. First, Utah is ahead of only Wazzu in annual contributions to the athletic department. Second, as we have seen so far this year, Ute fans are a fickle group. I don't know if either the No. Illinois or ISU games were announced as sellouts, but the stands were certainly not full. We can talk about start times and opponents all we want, but at the end of the day, fewer than 40k people actually showed up for the game. My guess is that weather and time will again keep many fans away from the Wazzu game. Third, basketball attendance gets worse each year.

I am not bagging on anyone individually and I am aware that many on this board live out of State, but I am not sure Ute fans really deserve teams that finish in the top of the PAC or in the top 25. If you go through the current top 25, I'm guessing that of the 25 teams listed, the Utes surpass only Cal, Boise, UCF and possibly KState in the money contribution/butts in the seat category.

These are many times better than any of the current uniforms. Bi-color all the way for us.

Couple of complaints from a beautiful game on Sunday:

1. The Drops: Our wide receivers have gotten better, but c'mon. Leave aside Simpkins 7 point drop, and there are a ton of drops that could have been costly: Enis iwth his dazzling juggle routine (he caught it but it should not have been so hard), Nacua dropped a cross that would have gotten a first, Thompson was solid but he did whiff on a two yard laser screen (do we still call it that), and Brumfield (who is not a WR) had a couple of drops. Really need to clean up this aspect of the game.
    2. Leaving the starters in. One thing Whit does that drives me crazy is he has the defensive starters out there with 30 seconds left in a 38-13 game. Why?!?!?!?! Save our starters and give our backups a little TV time, or whatever the Pac-12 network is. Francis Bernard is still leaving it all out there to stop a running back from turning a two-yard gain into a four-yard gain with :00 on the clock (which I love, BTW) but he shouldn't even be in the game. We have exactly two linebackers that are serviceable; we should protect them.
    3. Tyler Huntley. JK. The guy is an absolute stud. I fear I have spoken badly about him in the past, but man, he is a baller. With Moss out it's more obvious, but he really is money. He went 21-30 but that is with at least 5 drops (see #1). The only passes he whiffed on were two deep fades to the right corner (not his throw) and an underthrown deep ball to Dixon that Dixon had to knock down to prevent the INT. But the way he picked the times to run for patiently, the way he is looking for receivers while scrambling, and the 4th down play throw to Brumfield(!!!!!), were just beautiful. The kid is the all-time passer at Utah with good reason.
    4. The O-Line. I have not been impressed with this unit all year. If not for Huntley making the plays he makes, they would be taking more heat than they are. The penetration that other teams get very early in plays tells me it's not an issue of being over-matched physically, or not having the technique need to sustain blocks, but it's more about blown assignments. They've been ok on run blocking but on pass protection they are not good.

OK, that's enough. I love the defense this year and I think we can be as good as our dbs allow us to be. But giving up 250ish yards to Washington State should be at the top of their resume when they apply for jobs at the Manny Bowen Institute of Golden Opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    1. The Drops: Our wide receivers have gotten better, but c'mon. Leave aside Simpkins 7 point drop,
    That drop haunted me well into the 3rd quarter. I was certain it would come back to bite us.

SI article bringing Huntley some national recognition. Good summaries of other PAC-22 teams as well.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/pac-12-notes-2/

we have not played a tough schedule. ESPN ranks our SoS as 50 right now. ASU, Cal, and Washington will be a step up in defensive strength. Hopefully Tyler keeps it up, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a slight drop in his productivity over the next 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    SI article bringing Huntley some national recognition. Good summaries of other PAC-22 teams as well.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/pac-12-notes-2/

we have not played a tough schedule. ESPN ranks our SoS as 50 right now. ASU, Cal, and Washington will be a step up in defensive strength. Hopefully Tyler keeps it up, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a slight drop in his productivity over the next 3 games.
    I didn’t realize that Chris Peterson has such a bad track record playing from behind.