Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Leaving for SLC tonight. Gonna celebrate my Dad's 72nd birthday with him at the Cal game.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Leaving for SLC tonight. Gonna celebrate my Dad's 72nd birthday with him at the Cal game.
    Bringing your lucky button I hope.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Bringing your lucky button I hope.
    I lost the button a few years ago. I was sad about it for a long time. I have no idea how I lost it. It was in my wallet for almost 20 years. The whole basketball thing is probably my fault. Well, me and Giacoletti.

No Puka for the dogs, and Bam is warming up for the Utes. Been waiting all week for this!

Ugh, do they know our snap counts or something? They are a fraction of a second from being offsides on every play.

There are three teams that vastly out-recruit us in the Pac-12 - USC, UW, and Oregon. We can take our 3 star guys and coach them up and kick butt against most teams, but time after time, the talent gap shows against those three teams...especially on the lines.

It appears fate is against us today. Just not meant to be.

That crossed. Very clearly. Simple geometry, but you knew they would talk themselves out of it because they are idiots and cowards.

Seriously, how can something as simple as replay consistently deliver bad results?
    Last edited by sancho; 11-02-2019 at 04:30 PM.

It appears fate is against us today. Just not meant to be.
    I don’t know. We seem to be fighting back after every bad thing that happens. Not giving up or getting down.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I don’t know. We seem to be fighting back after every bad thing that happens. Not giving up or getting down.
    Yup, I really hope we can add that post to my long list of bad takes. Remember after the NIU game, I said I don't see how this team is all that different from other good teams we've had in the past 5 years? So glad that was a bad take.

Simpkins was further across the line on his catch than Huntley was on that TD run.

I'm so happy. What an amazing game. Just finish it, now, Utes.

If Tyler Huntley is not the unanimous conference POY, someone needs to lose their vote.

That crossed. Very clearly. Simple geometry, but you knew they would talk themselves out of it because they are idiots and cowards.

Seriously, how can something as simple as replay consistently deliver bad results?
    Why are their no cameras on the goaline? Put it on the pylon
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Why are their no cameras on the goaline? Put it on the pylon
    For sure, but it shouldn't be necessary when you can see it clearly. They were afraid to believe their eyes because they didn't have a goal line view. That is what is wrong with replay. Why in the world should we defer to the guy on the field? We absolutely should defer to the guy with slow motion replay. All the guy on the field does is blow call after call week after week. Why does his call stand against evidence that is deemed only 99% certain?

Pretty amazing to have 60 minutes of football without anyone holding anyone.

Nick Ford should never not be playing RG.

Dude is a beast.

So, the first playoff rankings...my thoughts:

- It's nice that they put Utah ahead of Oklahoma. I'm not sure they will keep us there. I think Oklahoma is very good. They mauled everyone until they blew it against KState. I'd be more afraid of them than Georgia, that's for sure. Maybe Clemson too. They will probably jump us when they beat Baylor.
    - I think Penn State ahead of Clemson is funny. The committee is signaling that they care about schedule, quality wins, etc, but if this were the final poll, they'd put Clemson in. And they'd be right to - we all know Clemson is better. But they figure they can keep Penn State up there until the Lions get wrecked by Ohio State in a few weeks.
    - The big question is still whether they would actually put an 11-1 SEC team (Bama/LSU) ahead of a 12-1 Pac-12 champion. I think they won't do it, but they might. They definitely want to.

Utah needs help, but one of Bama/LSU and one of PSU/Minnesota will lose this weekend. That's a start.

- It's nice that they put Utah ahead of Oklahoma. I'm not sure they will keep us there. I think Oklahoma is very good. They mauled everyone until they blew it against KState. I'd be more afraid of them than Georgia, that's for sure. Maybe Clemson too. They will probably jump us when they beat Baylor.
    - I think Penn State ahead of Clemson is funny. The committee is signaling that they care about schedule, quality wins, etc, but if this were the final poll, they'd put Clemson in. And they'd be right to - we all know Clemson is better. But they figure they can keep Penn State up there until the Lions get wrecked by Ohio State in a few weeks.
    - The big question is still whether they would actually put an 11-1 SEC team (Bama/LSU) ahead of a 12-1 Pac-12 champion. I think they won't do it, but they might. They definitely want to.

Utah needs help, but one of Bama/LSU and one of PSU/Minnesota will lose this weekend. That's a start.
    Hey genius, do you still cheer against teams we beat in the pre-season?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Hey genius, do you still cheer against teams we beat in the pre-season?
    Only one of them.

Only one of them.

I too have been an ardent Northern Illinois fan this year.

This is all correct, but I think all of the angst about rankings when we still have four weeks to go in the regular season is just manufactured by the media to get people angsty. We have 2.5 Big Ten teams that could be eligible for the CFP: but in five weeks we will have (at most) one. Same with the Pac: there are two teams that claim to be worthy of a bid: in five weeks there will be (at most) one. If we are rooting for any one in particular (besides BYU to beat Liberty this week!), it is any team playing Clemson and LSU. There is a good argument that a 12-1 Utah should get in over a 11-1 Alabama; they will have beat the same number of ranked teams (1), Alabama didn't win its conference OR get to the conference championship game (something that hasn't stopped the committee from choosing them before), the last decade has yet to erase the memory of UTah wiping the field with the Crimson Tide, and everyone is sick of Bama. Now it's not iron-clad: Alabama has a better SOS than UTah and there loss would be to the number 1 team in the nation rather than a 4 loss (so far) USC. But there is an argument for Utah. If we are competing against LSU for that last spot, there really is no argument except that they didn't win their conference.

So go LSU and everyone that plays Clemson! (and BYU, of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    This is all correct, but I think all of the angst about rankings when we still have four weeks to go in the regular season is just manufactured by the media to get people angsty. We have 2.5 Big Ten teams that could be eligible for the CFP: but in five weeks we will have (at most) one. Same with the Pac: there are two teams that claim to be worthy of a bid: in five weeks there will be (at most) one. If we are rooting for any one in particular (besides BYU to beat Liberty this week!), it is any team playing Clemson and LSU. There is a good argument that a 12-1 Utah should get in over a 11-1 Alabama; they will have beat the same number of ranked teams (1), Alabama didn't win its conference OR get to the conference championship game (something that hasn't stopped the committee from choosing them before), the last decade has yet to erase the memory of UTah wiping the field with the Crimson Tide, and everyone is sick of Bama. Now it's not iron-clad: Alabama has a better SOS than UTah and there loss would be to the number 1 team in the nation rather than a 4 loss (so far) USC. But there is an argument for Utah. If we are competing against LSU for that last spot, there really is no argument except that they didn't win their conference.

alabama still plays auburn ... they would have beaten two ranked teams.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Here is what it would take to make the playoff
    11-1 Utah beats 11-1 Oregon
    LSU wins out.
    Auburn Beats Alabama
    Clemson Loses to South Carolina (even better if they also lose the ACC champ game)
    Undefeated Minnesota (Beat Penn st this week) loses in Big10 champ game to undefeated Ohio st
    Oklahoma beats baylor then loses in the big 12 champ game.

That would leave Undefeated LSU and Ohio State
    12-1 Clemson
    12-1 Utah
    12-1 Baylor
    And host of 2 loss teams

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Here is what it would take to make the playoff
    11-1 Utah beats 11-1 Oregon
    LSU wins out.
    Auburn Beats Alabama
    Clemson Loses to South Carolina (even better if they also lose the ACC champ game)
    Undefeated Minnesota (Beat Penn st this week) loses in Big10 champ game to undefeated Ohio st
    Oklahoma beats baylor then loses in the big 12 champ game.

That would leave Undefeated LSU and Ohio State
    12-1 Clemson
    12-1 Utah
    12-1 Baylor
    And host of 2 loss teams
    That is one of the scenarios that gets Utah in, but it's not the only one.

This is all correct, but I think all of the angst about rankings when we still have four weeks to go in the regular season is just manufactured by the media to get people angsty.
    If you read angst in my post, I wrote it poorly. No angst here.

I don't really see the Alabama/LSU anti-symmetry that you do. If it's us vs 11-1 Bama, that's functionally the same as us vs 11-1 LSU. You can look at quality wins, losses, etc, but in that scenario, it all comes down to how much they value the conference championship. If they value it highly, Utah gets in. If they don't, the 11-1 SEC loser gets in.

If anything, the anti-symmetry is on the Pac-12's end. A 12-1 Oregon probably has more of a chance than a 12-1 Utah because of the power of the Oregon brand relative to us.

The narrowing down of Big12 and Big10 teams doesn't really matter because we know they would never put in two Big10 teams. The SEC is the only conference that could receive that kind of special treatment.
    Last edited by sancho; 11-07-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Huntley is on this list for biggest single season improvement.

The clearer more likely path is via Alabama loss to Auburn, and Georgia loss to LSU. I think LSU and especially Clemson are lost causes. Who's going to beat Clemson? And it's the defending champion.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The clearer more likely path is via Alabama loss to Auburn, and Georgia loss to LSU. I think LSU and especially Clemson are lost causes. Who's going to beat Clemson? And it's the defending champion.
    South Carolina will give us a two-fer: knock off Clemson after already putting Georgia's odds of making the CFP on life support.

The Remaining Schedules:

LSU:
    @ Ole Miss
    Texas A&M
    Ark
    SEC Champ game (Georgia)

Ohio St
    @Rutgers
    Penn St
    @ Michigan
    Big10 champ game (Minn/Iowa/Wisc)

Clemson
    Wake Forest
    @South Carolina
    Acc Champ game (Virginia)

Georgia
    @Auburn
    Texas A&M
    @GaTech
    SEC champ (LSU)

Alabama
    @Miss st
    WCU
    @Auburn

Oregon
    Ariz
    @ ASU
    Oregon St

Minnesota
    @Iowa
    @Northwestern
    Wisconsin
    Big10 championship (Can Lose one of those games and still play in the Big 10 champ)

Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Texas
    @Kansas
    Big 12 Champ game (can lose one of those games and still be in champ game)

Oklahoma
    @Baylor
    TCU
    @Ok St
    Big 12 Champ game (could lose to One of those teams and play in Big 12 champ game)

Penn St
    Indiana
    @ohio st
    Rutgers
    If they win those 3 they are in the Big10 champ game

The worst situation for Utah would be for Penn St to beat an undefeated Minnesota in the in Big 10 champ game and Auburn to beat Georgia and lose to bama and Georgia to win the SEC. It would then be:

11-1 Ohio st
    12-1 Penn St
    13-0 Clemson
    12-1 LSU
    11-2 Georgia
    11-1 Bama
    12-1 Utah

Minnesota isn't going to win the Big 10, and South Carolina isn't going to beat Clemson. The most likely scenario that gets the Utes in there is Auburn beats Alabama, and LSU beats Georgia. If Auburn beats both Alabama and Georgia, that would create another problem, with Auburn having beaten Oregon, Alabama, and Georgia, and its only two losses vs. Florida and LSU. So we cheer for Auburn vs. Alabama, but not vs. Georgia and rely on LSU to take out Georgia.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Minnesota isn't going to win the Big 10, and South Carolina isn't going to beat Clemson. The most likely scenario that gets the Utes in there is Auburn beats Alabama, and LSU beats Georgia. If Auburn beats both Alabama and Georgia, that would create another problem, with Auburn having beaten Oregon, Alabama, and Georgia, and its only two losses vs. Florida and LSU. So we cheer for Auburn vs. Alabama, but not vs. Georgia and rely on LSU to take out Georgia.
    Makes sense, but I wouldn't worry about Bama. An 11-1 Bama is not getting in over a 12-1 conference champ.

I think Oklahoma is a legit concern. If they go 12-1, they will have 2-4 wins over the top 25. Utah will only have 1-2. The committee stupidly uses this as a metric.

LSU is a real threat too. A 12-1 LSU would have a better resume than any other 12-1 team, but they would not be conference champs and would be coming off a loss.

OSU could be a threat in the same way as LSU, but I can't imagine them putting in two teams from the Big10.
    Last edited by sancho; 11-13-2019 at 07:48 PM.