Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I hope if happens often, but, really, how many teams on our schedule are teams we should be putting away early? 2? 3?
    I'm mainly interested in keeping the gas pedal down and not letting up if we get a 10-14 point lead. But since you asked, I think we could put away these teams early:

BYU
    Northern Illinois
    Idaho State
    Oregon State
    Cal
    Colorado

From what I've heard, Cal might even be a trap game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm mainly interested in keeping the gas pedal down and not letting up if we get a 10-14 point lead. But since you asked, I think we could put away these teams early:

BYU
    Northern Illinois
    Idaho State
    Oregon State
    Cal
    Colorado

From what I've heard, Cal might even be a trap game.
    We could put anyone away early. No one expected us to rout Oregon in 2015, but we sure did. In general, though, we aren't a team that is built for blowouts. I expect plenty of close games. I do think we generally do a good job of deciding when to press an advantage and when to run clock. I can't count how many times I've seen teams blow leads by trying to extend rather than sitting on the ball. I've also seen plenty of games lost by sitting on the ball rather then pressing an attack. I guess that's why the coaches make the big bucks.

I've also been thinking of Cal as a potential trap game.

We could put anyone away early. No one expected us to rout Oregon in 2015, but we sure did. In general, though, we aren't a team that is built for blowouts. I expect plenty of close games. I do think we generally do a good job of deciding when to press an advantage and when to run clock. I can't count how many times I've seen teams blow leads by trying to extend rather than sitting on the ball. I've also seen plenty of games lost by sitting on the ball rather then pressing an attack. I guess that's why the coaches make the big bucks.

I've also been thinking of Cal as a potential trap game.
    BTW, I don't want to discount the Month of October last season. We blew out Stanford, Arizona, USC and UCLA in succession. It was glorious. I hope we see more of that this year. I don't want style points, and margin of victory is not important except for BYU fans in the 1980s (and in the pre-flop Crowton years). But I don't like getting up 10 points and then changing the offensive plan. I don't recall seeing that last season either.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

BTW, I don't want to discount the Month of October last season. We blew out Stanford, Arizona, USC and UCLA in succession. It was glorious. I hope we see more of that this year. I don't want style points, and margin of victory is not important except for BYU fans in the 1980s (and in the pre-flop Crowton years). But I don't like getting up 10 points and then changing the offensive plan. I don't recall seeing that last season either.
    We actually did a good job last year overcoming slow starts. We were behind at the end of the first quarter in 5 of our wins last year (including Weber St and Northern Illinois).
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Mel Kiper's big board features no Utes, but his positional rankings feature Zach Moss (#2 Senior RB), Bradlee Anae (#5 Senior DE), Jaylon Johnson (#4 Underclassmen CB), and Julian Blackmon (#2 Senior Safety).
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Odasini (#73). Yassman (#87) for scale (6'5", 260 pounds).

odasini.jpg

Freshman RB Jordan Wilmore has been receiving a lot of hype. After watching him, the only concern I have is that the length of his forearm does not appear long enough to lock the ball in place which makes it much easier for defenders to create fumbles.

Look who Lee Corso has in his final 4. I’m not drinking the Kool Aid but it’s nice to see the Utes noticed.

--Yeats

I am starting to get a little worried about living up to all this hype. I hope Ludwig and crew are up for the challenge.

Look who Lee Corso has in his final 4. I’m not drinking the Kool Aid but it’s nice to see the Utes noticed.

Holy $#!+!!! That would be a dream. It's been 10 years since the Sugar Bowl, it would be nice to have a special season again.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I can’t get there. The hype and the possibilities for the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls did not begin until games 6 or 7 were in the books. This stuff is way different and while I know the coaching staff will not change their approach, this is uncharted territory for these players. I hope they can play within themselves and push all of this to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Holy $#!+!!! That would be a dream. It's been 10 years since the Sugar Bowl, it would be nice to have a special season again.
    Ironically enough...

Screenshot from 2019-08-26 16-47-15.png

Margin of victory is always important in college football, where your success is often based on perception by others who casually follow your team and where scheduling isn't uniform. Style points? What would you have us do -- not let 2nd and 3rd stringers get a chance to shine in a rare moment of playing time? Not be up by 30 at halftime or win by 50 and instead win by 17? Quit worrying about trying not to be like BYU fans and use your head here already.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I can’t get there. The hype and the possibilities for the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls did not begin until games 6 or 7 were in the books. This stuff is way different and while I know the coaching staff will not change their approach, this is uncharted territory for these players. I hope they can play within themselves and push all of this to the side.
    I would agree with the Sugar Bowl, but the hype for the Fiesta Bowl was in overdrive as soon as we converted 3rd and 17 on our opening drive against Texas A&M into a 75-yard TD pass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Margin of victory is always important in college football, where your success is often based on perception by others who casually follow your team and where scheduling isn't uniform. Style points? What would you have us do -- not let 2nd and 3rd stringers get a chance to shine in a rare moment of playing time? Not be up by 30 at halftime or win by 50 and instead win by 17? Quit worrying about trying not to be like BYU fans and use your head here already.
    I’m not talking about style points at all. I’m talking about letting opposing teams hang around by taking our foot off the gas and switching to a more conservative offense. I don’t like that, but as I said, I don’t recall seeing it last season.

--Yeats

To me the biggest thing this year is scoring touchdowns in the red zone and not kicking field goals. Especially since we are uncertain of our kicker. As much as anything, that will keep teams from hanging around.

I thought I remember seeing a BYU game thread a few days ago? Is there a chance we really don't have a BYU game thread yet?! Tragic.

9 is coming billboard.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Threads are overrated. We can chat here just as well. I am super nervous for the game. BYU has a lot going for it:

-They want/need it more
    -They are at home
    -They are due, they've been so close, they must feel that they are going to break through
    -We have a first year OC and a new offense

We obviously have a lot going for us as well, but I'm still nervous.

Threads are overrated. We can chat here just as well. I am super nervous for the game. BYU has a lot going for it:

-They want/need it more
    -They are at home
    -They are due, they've been so close, they must feel that they are going to break through

Yeah. Me too. Although I’ve always been nervous about this game.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

It is officially game day (at least on the east coast). Super stoked for Utah football!
    Last edited by Sullyute; 08-29-2019 at 06:58 AM.

I've been generally confident for a 2 score win for quite some time. But, as the time nears I get nervous, which is generally the case.
    They really think they have a shot this year, which is not insignificant.

What probably worries me the most is Utah defending the middle of the field and if the OL can get Moss and the boys going. It seems like the only advantage they have is their TE, and our LBs are new-ish. But maybe their lack of playmakers at WR allows the safeties to help take that away.

East coast game: 10:15 kickoff (more likely 10:30), all jacked up after a win at 2am and can't sleep.. Luckily my friday morning calendar is open..

-They want/need it more
    -They are at home

Need it more? Yes. Want it more? I don’t think so. I think Utah players have been seeing their school in one of the final four boxes. They remember what happened last November. They want to start this season off with a strong, unquestionable show of force. But BYU is more desperate. And that can either make them play dangerously or it could make them play recklessly. With a young team, I think things get pretty sloppy on their side. Maybe not Jake Heaps levels, but probably 2-3 head scratching turnovers.

Their home field has not been much of a benefit of late. Over the last two seasons, BYU is 5-7 at home.

I’m a nervous person by nature, but feel pretty good about tonight and coming away with a two touchdown win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To Xs and Os folks: What do you think is the strategy for both teams on both sides of the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Need it more? Yes. Want it more? I don’t think so. I think Utah players have been seeing their school in one of the final four boxes. They remember what happened last November. They want to start this season off with a strong, unquestionable show of force. But BYU is more desperate. And that can either make them play dangerously or it could make them play recklessly. With a young team, I think things get pretty sloppy on their side. Maybe not Jake Heaps levels, but probably 2-3 head scratching turnovers.

Their home field has not been much of a benefit of late. Over the last two seasons, BYU is 5-7 at home.
    Yes, they want it more. We have been the entire focus of their offseason. "Beat Utah" is engraved on the walls of their hearts.

I don't like this as the first game of the season. I have not been impressed with our first game for quite a number of years. I think first game sloppiness favors the underdog in general.

-They want/need it more
    -They are at home

OK, let's get all of our worries out:

- Kicker. It will be a jolt not having automatic Andy/Gayallday calming placing every kick thru the uprights.
    - O-line. Most people see this as a position of strength, but I am not convinced. I don't like it when freshmen ascend the depth chart; I tend to think it means a lack of good players, rather than an amazing freshman.
    - Linebackers. It was nice to have a year off from my constant hand wringing about this position. But the combined effect of Manny's business venture taking off and the extreme lack of depth at perhaps the most violent position on the field, I'm worried again!!!!
    - Depth in the defensive backfield. I love our starters! But behind Jaylon and Tareke we are really, thin. Hopefully there are young guys that have progressed.

I think a factor not a lot of people are talking about is I just don't think Sitake is that great of a coach, or at least not nearly as good as Whittingham. Head to head, all things being equal, I think Whittingham would win the game 8 out of 10 times. Back to reality and all things NOT being equal, this should easily be a Ute win. Control the clock, win the turnover battle, play our game and we win. I honestly think it is as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    To Xs and Os folks: What do you think is the strategy for both teams on both sides of the ball?
    I am not an X/O guy, but a would guess that BYU plans on getting the ball to Matt Bushman across the middle a lot. They also want to use that big offensive line to establish a run game.

Even as good as our defensive line is, I expect we will have to bring a blitz often to keep pressure on Zack Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am not an X/O guy, but a would guess that BYU plans on getting the ball to Matt Bushman across the middle a lot. They also want to use that big offensive line to establish a run game.

Even as good as our defensive line is, I expect we will have to bring a blitz often to keep pressure on Zack Wilson.
    I think they will also try to get someone manned with Lewis 1-on-1 and test him early. Other then that they will do a lot of dinks with some bigger shots across the middle to Bushman. Can this transfer from South Carolina catch balls out of the backfield?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I think a factor not a lot of people are talking about is I just don't think Sitake is that great of a coach, or at least not nearly as good as Whittingham. Head to head, all things being equal, I think Whittingham would win the game 8 out of 10 times. Back to reality and all things NOT being equal, this should easily be a Ute win. Control the clock, win the turnover battle, play our game and we win. I honestly think it is as simple as that.
    Totally agree with this. Same with Grimes vs. Ludwig and Scalley vs. Tuiaki?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Totally agree with this. Same with Grimes vs. Ludwig and Scalley vs. Tuiaki?

Analysis should be Scalley v. Grimes and Ludwig v. Tuiaki