Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Minnesota isn't going to win the Big 10, and South Carolina isn't going to beat Clemson. The most likely scenario that gets the Utes in there is Auburn beats Alabama, and LSU beats Georgia. If Auburn beats both Alabama and Georgia, that would create another problem, with Auburn having beaten Oregon, Alabama, and Georgia, and its only two losses vs. Florida and LSU. So we cheer for Auburn vs. Alabama, but not vs. Georgia and rely on LSU to take out Georgia.
    Makes sense, but I wouldn't worry about Bama. An 11-1 Bama is not getting in over a 12-1 conference champ.

I think Oklahoma is a legit concern. If they go 12-1, they will have 2-4 wins over the top 25. Utah will only have 1-2. The committee stupidly uses this as a metric.

LSU is a real threat too. A 12-1 LSU would have a better resume than any other 12-1 team, but they would not be conference champs and would be coming off a loss.

OSU could be a threat in the same way as LSU, but I can't imagine them putting in two teams from the Big10.
    Last edited by sancho; 11-13-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Makes sense, but I wouldn't worry about Bama. An 11-1 Bama is not getting in over a 12-1 conference champ.

I think Oklahoma is a legit concern. If they go 12-1, they will have 2-4 wins over the top 25. Utah will only have 1-2. The committee stupidly uses this as a metric.

LSU is a real threat too. A 12-1 LSU would have a better resume than any other 12-1 team, but they would not be conference champs and would be coming off a loss.

OSU could be a threat in the same way as LSU, but I can't imagine them putting in two teams from the Big10.
    Right. Which is why I wrote originally that the Utah scenario involves LSU and Ohio State unbeaten.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Right. Which is why I wrote originally that the Utah scenario involves LSU and Ohio State unbeaten.
    I think he's mostly fair in his analysis. In one of his recent podcasts he talked about the PAC-12 needing flagship football programs. He mentioned Utah in that role with their fan support, stable coaching staff and consistent rise in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I think he's mostly fair in his analysis. In one of his recent podcasts he talked about the PAC-12 needing flagship football programs. He mentioned Utah in that role with their fan support, stable coaching staff and consistent rise in the league.
    He's fair-ish. I just think his voting criteria are simplistic and not as advanced/logical as he thinks.

He tweeted this weekend that the Pac-12 needs some homers in the media like the SEC has, but he is apparently unwilling to take on that role.

We are going to really miss Julian Blackmon. The Blackmon blitz, sack, forced fumble, and Tafua long return for a TD--just as it looked like UCLA might make a game of it--may be in my top 5 all-time favorite Ute plays.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

We are going to really miss Julian Blackmon. The Blackmon blitz, sack, forced fumble, and Tafua long return for a TD--just as it looked like UCLA might make a game of it--may be in my top 5 all-time favorite Ute plays.
    We thought the same about Marquise Blair. And about Marcus Williams. And about Chase Hansen. And about .... well you get my point.

His biting approach is weird.

Especially when he starts using comparative scores but does so in only two games, it looks as if he’s cherry picking games that back up his method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    His biting approach is weird.

Especially when he starts using comparative scores but does so in only two games, it looks as if he’s cherry picking games that back up his method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Wilner's pretzel logic

https://twitter.com/JFurKSL/status/1197214113685860352

He's been spending too much time in the Haight Ashbury district

Wilner's pretzel logic

https://twitter.com/JFurKSL/status/1197214113685860352

He's been spending too much time in the Haight Ashbury district
    It's actually good news that he predicts the winner of the Pac 12 championship will be in the Final Four.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

It's actually good news that he predicts the winner of the Pac 12 championship will be in the Final Four.
    nope he has Utah - Rose and Oregon - Alamo