Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Donavan Thompson has entered the transfer portal. Thought this would be a good year for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By the way, has the transfer portal been a thing before? Great name, though: sounds like something from Star trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    By the way, has the transfer portal been a thing before? Great name, though: sounds like something from Star trek.
    It’s new as of last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    So those we know are: Mariner (WR), Grant (OL), Thompson (LB), Dixon (OL). I've heard there are 3 or 4 additional players who have entered their names but not made it public and several more contemplating doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    So those we know are: Mariner (WR), Grant (OL), Thompson (LB), Dixon (OL). I've heard there are 3 or 4 additional players who have entered their names but not made it public and several more contemplating doing so.
    Another reason that Larry Krystkowiak should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Hart (LB/DE). Repp has also been reported. Also Rex Jordan (DE) is a medical retirement.

Let's all remember the portal is a new thing and some of these guys are definitely moving on while others may be experimenting to see who bites before they fully commit to transferring. I think you'll see some people (in general, not necessarily at Utah) enter the transfer portal before ultimately deciding to return to their original team.

Also, it should be the "transfer database" and the "transfer portal" should be the sci-fi means by which they travel to their new school.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Hart (LB/DE). Repp has also been reported. Also Rex Jordan (DE) is a medical retirement.

Let's all remember the portal is a new thing and some of these guys are definitely moving on while others may be experimenting to see who bites before they fully commit to transferring. I think you'll see some people (in general, not necessarily at Utah) enter the transfer portal before ultimately deciding to return to their original team.

Also, it should be the "transfer database" and the "transfer portal" should be the sci-fi means by which they travel to their new school.
    I wonder if the KW will allow a kid to test the transfer waters and then return. My guess is that he will not. Your either all in or in the way.

Zack Moss passed on the NFL to 'be the best running back of all time' at Utah

https://www.ksl.com/article/46469916...l-time-at-utah

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Leki Fotu getting some love.

Too-early college football 2019 All-America team

https://es.pn/2TWSzdr

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Couldn’t find a perfect fit for this, so here it is:

Scout QB to MVP: How Patrick Mahomes' 'redshirt' year and Alex Smith led to a historic season

https://sports.yahoo.com/scout-qb-mv...083412040.html

--Yeats

Per Kyle on Bill's show:

Julian Blackmon has moved to Safety, and Bronson Boyd has moved to Corner.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

Why the Dolphins helmet?

Signed,

Mr. Obtuse

--Yeats

At some point we're gonna do an updated version of those Grey helmets...and they will look sweet!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    At some point we're gonna do an updated version of those Grey helmets...and they will look sweet!
    The grey helmets are the first helmets I remember seeing as a boy. I remember that the team would go through a tunnel at the north end of the stadium to the old Einer Nielson and I would stand there and ask for chinstraps. Those were fun days. I remember sneaking down the backside of the east stands from GA to play games at the south end of the stadium.

The North End Zone folks now will have to purchase Crimson Club membership to keep their seats. Seems fair to me. It will increase Crimson Club membership form just over 6,000 to over 8,000.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The North End Zone folks now will have to purchase Crimson Club membership to keep their seats. Seems fair to me. It will increase Crimson Club membership form just over 6,000 to over 8,000.
    I wonder if the CC donations are down with the tax law changes making the donations no longer tax deductible. This would be one way to help make some of that up.

I've seen a lot of beefing about the continued price increases. Many people are saying they are getting priced out. At some point, the cost is going to outweigh the demand. I hope the administration is getting good economic advice on how far they can push the increases.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I can see why the U wants this but there is an everyman culture to the north endzone that may change. I'd hate to see that aspect of game day go away. I love having our "crazies" over there. Not only are they an incredible asset to the team when teams are buried at that end but they stir up the rest of us in key moments.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I wonder if the CC donations are down with the tax law changes making the donations no longer tax deductible. This would be one way to help make some of that up.

I've seen a lot of beefing about the continued price increases. Many people are saying they are getting priced out. At some point, the cost is going to outweigh the demand. I hope the administration is getting good economic advice on how far they can push the increases.
    My 4 tickets went up $232 this year. It will be interesting to see what happens when the stadium is expanded.

Morning links: Utes’ quarterback situation rated the best in the Pac-12

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...he-pac-12.html

--Yeats

ESPN is reporting that Jack Tuttle just got cleared by the NCAA to play at Indiana. Hoping that is good karma that Rising will get the same approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    ESPN is reporting that Jack Tuttle just got cleared by the NCAA to play at Indiana. Hoping that is good karma that Rising will get the same approval.
    Do we want him eligible this season? Don't we want to save him and use Huntley/Shelley?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Do we want him eligible this season? Don't we want to save him and use Huntley/Shelley?
    Nothing to save because he redshirted last year. In other words, he has eligibility to play through the 2022 season no matter what, the only question is whether he will be eligible to play this year or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Nothing to save because he redshirted last year. In other words, he has eligibility to play through the 2022 season no matter what, the only question is whether he will be eligible to play this year or not.
    Oh, that makes sense then. I hope he is granted eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    One difference is timing. Tuttle left in time to drop fall classes, so it is if he did not attend, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    One difference is timing. Tuttle left in time to drop fall classes, so it is if he did not attend, I think.
    That makes sense, I forgot when Tuttle left last year.

Shyne lands at Texas Tech.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Shyne lands at Texas Tech.
    Gets to keep the red wardrobe.

Jackson Cravens enters transfer portal. Bummer.

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...tal-131828175/

• By my count, the Utes have had 16 (does not include Jackson Cravens) scholarship players leave the program who did not exhaust their eligibility and were on the 2018 roster. It has been debated in other threads whether those players were or were not expected to contribute. Whether they were or not, it leaves the Utes with roughly 74 scholarship players going into the 2019 season. I think they still have a couple of initials so that could increase by 2 or 3 between now and when camp opens. The Utes have 19 scholarship seniors, so it is going to take several years to increase the overall number of scholarships. Schools that get themselves into numbers problems typically do not do well. The lack of numbers this year might not hurt, but it will at some point.
      As I look at the current roster, I see the following:
      QB. Huntley's injury history suggests that he won't play the entire season. With Rising ineligible (has there been a decision?), we are 1 play away from Drew Lisk. I am not sure he is a D-1 player.
      RB. No concerns. Still wish we had Shyne.
      WR. I have concerns and we only have 10 scholarship players.
      TE. No concerns.
      OL. Plenty of concerns, numbers are fine, but there were a couple of classes that would be juniors and seniors right now that were not evaluated very well.
      DT. I count 6. No concerns this year, but numbers going forward are a concern.
      DE. 6, 3 with strong resumes but very young beyond those 3.
      LB. Similar to DE.
      S. Who is the safety opposite Blackmon? The other guys I have seen there are Burgess and Hubert. Our safeties are called on to make too many tackles to make it through a season without injury.
      CB. We look good this year and there are a lot of young guys on the roster.
      I think the Utes have the opportunity to be very good this year. Development of OL will be key. A factor frequently overlooked about the Sugar Bowl team is that the Utes started the same 11 on offense every game. Not sure about defense, but I cannot remember them losing anyone for the season. I don't think playing a PAC 12 schedule will allow the Utes to avoid injury, so is there enough depth at WR, OL, DE, LB and S to win a championship?