Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Coming out fired up is great, but our first game issues are traditionally about rust and execution more than anything else. This is why you schedule an FCS team first (that, and it gives you an easy game to get offseason suspensions out of the way).
    We haven't lost a season-opening game against a P5 team at home since Arizona in 2000, and have gone 4-0 since. Our first-game issues deal more with not taking the opponent seriously and not putting too much physical investment into the game. Generally, we take FBS opponents very seriously if they happen to be in our first game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I actually like the fact that it is the first game. .
    If we are required to play them every year, I would prefer it be in week 1 or 2 and never again at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is very common thinking among Kyle fans. When we lose after a poor offensive showing, it is the OC‘s fault. When we win, it is because of Kyle. When we lose after a poor defensive showing, everyone looks at Scalley. When special teams screw up regularly, as they did this season, no one looks at the special teams coordinator (who happens to be the head coach, last time I checked). But Kyle hires all those guys.

He also oversees recruiting, so yes, we have players who do well in a power running scheme: Moss, Shyne, and a big, talented offensive line. So a scheme that emphasizes the power running attack that Kyle likes, and around which the offensive personnel are built, works for the Utes. As Uteopia has notes, Kyle says he wants a power running scheme with bruiser RBs, one that takes care of the football and has a quarterback who can make big plays. That’s great, and it has worked for us.

I am critical of Kyle for hiring OCs like Taylor who don’t want to run his system, and for the constant turnover in the OC spot since 2008 and the problems that creates. I am realistic about the fact that really talented WR recruits and QB recruits who like to pass generally aren’t going to find in Utah an attractive destination. There can be no doubt that opposing schools use Kyle’s offensive philosophy to recruit against us. And so on.

Kyle is the most successful and greatest coach we’ve ever had at Utah. He is who he is, and he has limits, and I hope he stays until he retires. I wouldn’t mind seeing him retire sooner rather than later, but I am am ardent fan of the program and of the University and I am going to be cheering for him as long as he in his job, but I cheer primarily for the school, not any particular coach or player. Still, now and then I am going to be critical of Kyle. He is not the perfect coach. What really bothers me is that so many here, and on other fan boards, see Kyle as a sacred cow and become indignant when he is criticized. I am still going to criticize him sometimes, and in doing so I am not criticizing Allah, an LDS prophet, or the Pope.

So there!
    Totally agree with you.
    Have a nice day all !

Quote Originally Posted by stark2210 View Post
    Totally agree with you.
    Have a nice day all !
    I don't know who the hell he's talking about. I defend Kyle, but I think assistant coaches are always overrated and rarely if ever save a program. The buck stops with the head coaches as far as I'm concerned. I started watching football when assistant coaches were hardly noticed, so maybe my view is skewed. But my point is that many or some of us who defend Kyle don't do what LA says we do.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-23-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Are BYU players trolling the Utes (Zach Wilson a couple of weeks ago and Isaiah Kafusi today) on twitter in an attempt to get the Utes over hyped, are they trying to convince themselves of something or are they just trying to get their fans juiced? I'm always suspect of guys who talk the talk before walking the walk. I guess talk is all you have when you haven't done anything. The more they do it, the more I like it.

https://twitter.com/isaiah_kaufusi/s...43502236000259

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I don't know who the hell he's talking about. I defend Kyle, but I think assistant coaches are always overrated and rarely if ever save a program. The buck stops with the assistant coaches as far as I'm concerned. I started watching football when assistant coaches were hardly noticed, so maybe my view is skewed. But my point is that many or some of us who defend Kyle don't do what LA says we do.
    You choosing to quote and argue with a bot is .y favorite thing today.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    You choosing to quote and argue with a bot is .y favorite thing today.
    I'm arguing with LAUte, the quote.

You should stay in your lane. This is the football forum.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I'm arguing with LAUte, the quote.

You should stay in your lane. This is the football forum.
    You mean LA Ute is not a bot? Who knew?

I don't know who the hell he's talking about. I defend Kyle, but I think assistant coaches are always overrated and rarely if ever save a program. The buck stops with the assistant coaches as far as I'm concerned. I started watching football when assistant coaches were hardly noticed, so maybe my view is skewed. But my point is that many or some of us who defend Kyle don't do what LA says we do.
    I posted that months ago. You've been trolled by a bot. You revere Kyle and brook no criticism of him. Everyone knows that. Anyway, I'm happy with Kyle now and have nothing more to say about that subject.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You mean LA Ute is not a bot? Who knew?
    I reverse engineered LAUte's algorithm a long time ago. His approach is to try to kill you by a zillion paper cuts. Passive aggressive. If he's not one of the best at it I've seen, he's the most relentless and single method.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I reverse engineered LAUte's algorithm a long time ago. His approach is to try to kill you by a zillion paper cuts. Passive aggressive. If he's not one of the best at it I've seen, he's the most relentless and single method.
    You're just envious of my skill set.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I posted that months ago. You've been trolled by a bot.
    I've wondered at times if Seattle is a bot. Maybe this is a bot fight.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I've wondered at times if Seattle is a bot. Maybe this is a bot fight.
    This joke was told in other forms two times already.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

This joke was told in other forms two times already.
    Maybe Sancho is a joke telling bot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Maybe Sancho is a joke telling bot.
    No. Only a bot could search multiple forums and determine the number of times a joke has been made. The SU bot has unwittingly incriminated itself.

--Yeats

No. Only a bot could search multiple forums and determine the number of times a joke has been made. The SU bot has unwittingly incriminated itself.
    Forms not Forums. The jokes were in this thread.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

So you’re a pretty limited bot. You can search only a single forum.

--Yeats

Saw a tweet that Rising is eligible this year, but haven't seen any ocnfirmation. Am I out of the loop?

Saw a tweet that Rising is eligible this year, but haven't seen any ocnfirmation. Am I out of the loop?
    Inspired by this rumor, I looked around and found nothing about it.

--Yeats

You probably saw "ScottyP30".........hes been claiming this for a while and also claims he has inside sources. Who knows. The UZ guys refuted his claim a couple of weeks ago, saying that it was still up in the air and the coaches didn't even know. I suspect that is still the case. (What does it benefit anyone to keep such information a secret?)

Jackson Cravens was officially announced to be transferring to Boise State today. Between him and Langi, that’s two defensive players that Utah would have liked that ended up in Western Idaho. What’s the story on Cravens? He’s Whittingham’s nephew and a legacy kid and bolts after one season? Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Jackson Cravens was officially announced to be transferring to Boise State today. Between him and Langi, that’s two defensive players that Utah would have liked that ended up in Western Idaho. What’s the story on Cravens? He’s Whittingham’s nephew and a legacy kid and bolts after one season? Weird.
    My utter speculation is that they realized they probably would not play. Could that be?

--Yeats

My utter speculation is that they realized they probably would not play. Could that be?
    Maybe it’s that simple. I think Langi wanted to step a little out of the Utah-BYU rivalry. I know people were high on Jackson but given the talent on the defensive line, maybe he was looking for earlier playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petition for Rising’s immediate eligibility is denied.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Petition for Rising’s immediate eligibility is denied.
    As ColoUte said on Twitter, guess he should have claimed he was bullied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Utes add another TE in SMU transfer Hunter Thedford. Hunter comes in with a stat line of 3 catches for a total of 36 yards.

He's a 6'6" 260 pounder who is primarily a blocker who is presumably just coming in to add a bit of depth after Jake Jackson left. With his size he could probably fit in well with certain packages. He also played DE at SMU for a couple of years, so he may be added depth there. Hopefully we never need him on that side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Utes add another TE in SMU transfer Hunter Thedford. Hunter comes in with a stat line of 3 catches for a total of 36 yards.

We don't have any room for horseshit attitudes, nattering nabobs of negativity, in the football forum.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

We don't have any room for horseshit attitudes, nattering nabobs of negativity, in the football forum.
    But there still some room for an effete corps of impudent snobs?

(I am referring to no one here. Just playing with SU.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-11-2019 at 07:56 AM.

--Yeats

It's always about the quarterback at Utah. Always. I could go on and on with statistics backing this up, but most of you already know this. We didn't get over the hump in 2015 because Travis Wilson largely stagnated -- his junior year was easily his best year, as a senior he was only marginally better than he was as a freshman and worse as a sophomore. He was flat-out horrible over the final five games of 2015 -- his dropoff could only be chalked up to be hurt, on drugs or on the take, it was that significant.

We will not win the South if we get similar "production" from Tyler Huntley. He cannot afford to be as good as he's been the previous two years. He needs to be better. More consistent. His career PER is 139. To put that in perspective, he's one spot below Terrence Cain, one spot ahead of Brett Ratliff all-time at Utah (lest you forget, both of these QBs were benched at some point during their Utah careers). He's had 13 games against Pac-12 teams and has surpassed his career mark in all of 6 games, 5 if you don't count Arizona as a sophomore, in which he was injured and left the game early. He had never put together back-to-back games where his PER surpassed his career mark until Stanford-Arizona-USC last year. Don't forget, his last two games -- UCLA, Arizona State -- were not good at all.

I'm bullish on this year because I think Andy Ludwig can get Tyler over the hump, an experienced OC that Travis never had the luxury of learning from. We've seen Tyler at his best -- I'm optimistic that we can see that on a more consistent basis. He will need to step up and be The Man when teams are loading the box to stop Moss. And really, Tyler's had only one game like that -- the infamous timeout game at UW in 2016.

That game, plus USC last year, have shown Tyler can be an all-Pac-12 QB. He certainly has the ability. He's been tested physically more than any QB ever at Utah, and with that should come a huge amount of mental maturity. Everything is lined up for Tyler to have a big year and join the list of truly great Utah QBs. A season that results in the same or less as last year almost means Tyler didn't improve, and he'll be just another QB that Utah had that showed flashes of promise, but never the consistency needed to achieve anything truly meaningful.

Many believe Tyler has arrived, but I strongly disagree. He should be approaching this season with a chip on his shoulder and a blank slate about the past, because he's essentially achieved very little as it pertains to team success.