Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Analysis should be Scalley v. Grimes and Ludwig v. Tuiaki
    Grimes has the advantage over Ludwig (not sure about Scalley) since this is year two for him.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Grimes has the advantage over Ludwig
    How so?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Sometimes there are game chats going on here, but it's a little clunky since you have to refresh. If you want to use the Discord site, it was really made for that kind of live chat (it's a lot like slack if you're familiar with that). I won't be on because I stream, so I'm 30-60 seconds behind live, but I do think it's a good place for a game chat if you want. There's just about no one else there, so it would just be utahby5 folks.

https://discord.gg/NX8Yec

In the last 16 openers Utah’s defense has given up an average of 17 points per game (granted some of those were against FCS opponents, but a couple of those were against PAC-12 teams and Michigan twice). I suspect BYU will get around 17 points against this defense, but probably not much more.

I’m really intrigued by Utah’s offense versus BYU’s D. I think this highly favors Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I’m really intrigued by Utah’s offense versus BYU’s D. I think this highly favors Utah.
    In my mind, this match up boils down almost entirely to Zach Moss vs their big defensive line.

Sometimes there are game chats going on here, but it's a little clunky since you have to refresh. If you want to use the Discord site, it was really made for that kind of live chat (it's a lot like slack if you're familiar with that). I won't be on because I stream, so I'm 30-60 seconds behind live, but I do think it's a good place for a game chat if you want. There's just about no one else there, so it would just be utahby5 folks.

https://discord.gg/NX8Yec
    I'm not watching live (the game kicks-off at 4:00 am on the East Coast, about the time my younger son is waking up these days). I'm going to attempt the impossible task of (1) ignoring the game while it's on (easy since I plan on being asleep), (2) waking up and resisting the urge to check my phone for anything (texts, emails, insta, etc), (3) go to the gym and fend off all of the talk about how Utah looked unstoppable and Lee Corso's prediction of a championship game loss for the Utes underestimate the Utes and (4) go into work, log into espn WITHOUT seeing the score, and watch a replay of the game.

This seems doable, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm not watching live (the game kicks-off at 4:00 am on the East Coast, about the time my younger son is waking up these days). I'm going to attempt the impossible task of (1) ignoring the game while it's on (easy since I plan on being asleep), (2) waking up and resisting the urge to check my phone for anything (texts, emails, insta, etc), (3) go to the gym and fend off all of the talk about how Utah looked unstoppable and Lee Corso's prediction of a championship game loss for the Utes underestimate the Utes and (4) go into work, log into espn WITHOUT seeing the score, and watch a replay of the game.

Oh, and DO NOT TEXT ME TONIGHT@@@!!!

Wear your lucky socks.
    I hope you can navigate the ESPN app/website and not see a score.

There are some advantages to knowing the outcome before watching the game.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    There are some advantages to knowing the outcome before watching the game.
    Yep. You might just save yourself 3 hours!

Oh, and DO NOT TEXT ME TONIGHT@@@!!!
    Give us your #, so we know where not to text.

Give us your #, so we know where not to text.
    Nice try, Sancho.

One attempt to ruin my personal watch party thwarted!!!!!

Grimes has the advantage over Ludwig (not sure about Scalley) since this is year two for him.
    Agree that having an extra season to learn Grimes’ offense favors the BYU, but Ludwig has like 20 years as an OC while Grimes has 2 years. I think the experience tilts the balance in Ludwig’s favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Agree that having an extra season to learn Grimes’ offense favors the BYU, but Ludwig has like 20 years as an OC while Grimes has 2 years. I think the experience tilts the balance in Ludwig’s favor.
    Solid point. I've been conditioned to be wary of OCs...new OCs in particular.

I've been in a 3-week administrative hearing that goes until 9:00 p.m. Pacific time, and we are finishing tonight. So I can't watch, for the first time since I-can't-remember-when, but my kids will be texting me scores. I'll try not to jump out of my chair while a witness is testifying.

I'm nervous about this game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Let's think about this from a different angle:

If you're A-Rod, who do you attack on defense? I gotta think it will be the linebackers since that is where we are the least seasoned.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

If you're A-Rod, who do you attack on defense? I gotta think it will be the linebackers since that is where we are the least seasoned.
    Just use your best weapons - your TEs, Bushman, and the amazing transfer RB from Rice.

if I'm A-Rod I'm too busy scanning the crowd for females that look like they're single and straight

Noticing your inaccurate time zone conversion for the game time, and your lack of understanding of the meaning of the word "work", I am not confident in your plan succeeding.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Listening to a podcast the other day. One of the hosts who is a Florida Gators fan talked about how they (Florida fans) all hate playing Miami. They hate it not because they are afraid they are going to lose the game, but he compared it to having the sewer line backed up. No matter the outcome (win or lose), it is just an unpleasant, stupid experience.

That is about how I feel about this game for Utah. Instead of being excited that football is here I'm just anxious about the game and burned out from all of the talk. It's not fun for me. I may not even watch the game tonight. I feel like an idiot that this stupid game affects me like this, I try to keep telling myself it's just a game, the outcome isn't going to impact my life in any material way, etc. I'm still a wreck, have been all week.

Anyway, I had to get that off my chest. I hate this game and that it makes me this way. I'm just looking forward to putting it behind us. I kind of feel like even if the unthinkable happens (and let's face it, the streak is going to end sometime--it could be this year) I will still feel better on Friday than I do now. I guess I have more confidence in my ability to deal with disappointment than I do anxious anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'm just anxious about the game and burned out from all of the talk.
    I think we all agree that we don't want to play this game in week 1 again.

I like Utah's chances . . . if they can just keep from getting in their own way . . . like they failed to do in 2017 (When your QB has almost 400 all purpose yards and you only score 19 points, that's a problem).
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I had an unusual experience with this year‘s game. Because of work, I was almost 24/7 busy pretty much every day for the three weeks prior to the game and during game week. I was in a hearing from 4 PM to 9 PM every day, including game day. My days from early morning until the 4 PM start time we spent preparing for that day‘s hearing session.. It was hellish, but there was an unexpected benefit. I didn’t have much time for message boards or reading newspapers or listening to sports radio. I didn’t get to watch or listen to the game’s first half, although my sons sent me texts with the score.

What surprised me was that I didn’t really care that I couldn’t watch the game. I listened to part of the second half in the car on the way home and caught the last six or seven minutes on ESPN. I then realized how little I missed the annual pregame hype. I watched the final plays and was happy, but winning the game did not make my day, and I moved on to finishing a church assignment.

This event feels a lot better when it’s just a game. And I think from now on that’s all it will ever be to me. I’m 100% OK with that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I think we all agree that we don't want to play this game in week 1 again.
    Twitter has been worse in the last two weeks than ever before, and that is a pretty low bar to start from.

So, my plan worked to perfection. I shut my phone off last night, went to bed, woke up, got swole at the gym, took my kids to school, got into work, did some stuff that needed to be done, and then sat down to enjoy the Holy War.

And then I find out that there is a new policy about streaming videos at work that won't let me see the game!?!?!?!!? Are you kidding? What a stupid policy! Is this designed to make us actually work instead of stream march madness? Ruined my morning.

And then I find out we won easily. Of course.

And then I find out that there is a new policy about streaming videos at work that won't let me see the game!?!?!?!!? Are you kidding? What a stupid policy! Is this designed to make us actually work instead of stream march madness? Ruined my morning.
    Time to start looking for work in Colorado. Ridiculous. I stream to my office all the time.

Twitter has been worse in the last two weeks than ever before, and that is a pretty low bar to start from.
    I hate that I'm still using Twitter for quick news. It really is an awful place.

Time to start looking for work in Colorado. Ridiculous. I stream to my office all the time.
    Tell your CO people to contact my people. These 3:30 AM kickoffs have ruined my life.

Tell your CO people to contact my people. These 3:30 AM kickoffs have ruined my life.
    https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=funny+guy+online&l=CO

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    if I'm A-Rod I'm too busy scanning the crowd for females that look like they're single and straight

He got married this spring.