Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Makes sense, but I wouldn't worry about Bama. An 11-1 Bama is not getting in over a 12-1 conference champ.

I think Oklahoma is a legit concern. If they go 12-1, they will have 2-4 wins over the top 25. Utah will only have 1-2. The committee stupidly uses this as a metric.

LSU is a real threat too. A 12-1 LSU would have a better resume than any other 12-1 team, but they would not be conference champs and would be coming off a loss.

OSU could be a threat in the same way as LSU, but I can't imagine them putting in two teams from the Big10.
    Right. Which is why I wrote originally that the Utah scenario involves LSU and Ohio State unbeaten.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I don’t know. We seem to be fighting back after every bad thing that happens. Not giving up or getting down.
    This team takes care of business.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Before today, these were the teams that control their own playoff destiny:

LSU, Georgia
    OSU, PSU, Minnesota
    Clemson
    Baylor

OU/Baylor is still going on, but it looks like the list didn't change this weekend.

OU came back. Scratch Baylor from the list. OU now has their signature win for the season.
    Last edited by sancho; 11-16-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Well, I didn't see 49-3 coming. Wow. What a great team this is. Huntley is conference POY, and he should be in NY.

Before today, these were the teams that control their own playoff destiny:

LSU, Georgia
    OSU, PSU, Minnesota
    Clemson
    Baylor

OU/Baylor is still going on, but it looks like the list didn't change this weekend.

OU came back. Scratch Baylor from the list. OU now has their signature win for the season.
    Baylor could still be a one-loss Big-12 champion, and their one loss would be a strong one.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

No UCLA game thread, so I’ll ask this here.

Why was Huntley and Moss in at all in the 3rd quarter, let alone the 4th quarter. Did Kyle/Andy. To see what happened to Tua at Alabama earlier today with basically the same score?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Baylor could still be a one-loss Big-12 champion, and their one loss would be a strong one.
    Sure, I just crossed them off the "control their own destiny" list. Now they need help, or they at least need a helpful committee.

Sure, I just crossed them off the "control their own destiny" list. Now they need help, or they at least need a helpful committee.
    Gotcha. In my opinion, if they win out, they do control their own destiny. I think they would get in over the PAC-12 champ at that point. I think the only scenario that could keep them out is a Georgia over LSU SEC final.

Gotcha. In my opinion, if they win out, they do control their own destiny. I think they would get in over the PAC-12 champ at that point. I think the only scenario that could keep them out is a Georgia over LSU SEC final.
    Assuming Oregon/Utah stay unbeaten, the winner has a huge leg up on making a final argument of getting in over the big 12. Baylor is going to fall into the mid teens this week; that's way too much ground to make up at this point. They'd need a lot to break their way. I consider them out.

Why was Huntley and Moss in at all in the 3rd quarter, let alone the 4th quarter. Did Kyle/Andy. To see what happened to Tua at Alabama earlier today with basically the same score?
    Whitt said he had concerns after watching UCLA come back down 32 points to WSU

If you're serious about pursuing a national title scoring margin matters. Wilner talks about that today.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

They might. I just made a list of people that clearly control their own destiny with no debate. Now, that list is:

LSU, Georgia
    OSU, PSU, Minnesota
    Clemson

The Pac-12 vs Big-12 would be close and controversial if both champs are 12-1, so I'm not including those teams. Hopefully, TCU beats Oklahoma and makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If you're serious about pursuing a national title scoring margin matters. Wilner talks about that today.
    Yup. Also, Huntley should get invited to NY, but he needs numbers to get there. That may be secondary, but I think it's important.

They might. I just made a list of people that clearly control their own destiny with no debate. Now, that list is:

LSU, Georgia
    OSU, PSU, Minnesota
    Clemson

The Pac-12 vs Big-12 would be close and controversial if both champs are 12-1, so I'm not including those teams. Hopefully, TCU beats Oklahoma and makes it easier.
    Oklahoma State might beat Oklahoma. TCU, not a chance.

People have not mentioned that Baylor didn't look like a great team all season, nor was it much respected. It won repeatedly on a prayer, miracle finishes against bad teams. When Baylor went up 28-3 with lots of time left due to a lot to Oklahoma mistakes, I said to myself (you're just going to have to believe me) that Oklahoma still wins. Those kind of games are not uncommon in the Big 12.

Even after Oklahoma went up 28-3 I thought it would win by more than 3 points. It would have won going away had it not been for that horrible turnover at the goal line.

Notice even as Baylor was undefeated it was not ranked very high.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-17-2019 at 09:28 PM.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I said to myself (you're just going to have to believe me) that Oklahoma still wins.
    I believe you because I said the same thing. I saw how quickly and easily Oklahoma came back to almost beat Kansas State. That team can score a lot of points, very quickly.

I think the Big12 is failing the eye test compared to the Pac12. Oklahoma is still 3-1 against Sagarin's top 30 while Utah is only 1-1, but people don't really believe in Oklahoma. Too many close wins and not enough defense.

Wilner explains his low AP ranking for Utah, and it's not behind the usual paywall.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/...et-me-explain/

Basically, he has been voting for a long time and has arrived at a definite system. The system is to just look at top 25 wins and losses for all teams and rank them accordingly. It's a simple system, and it has enough flawed logic to satisfy someone who is incapable of analysis. Wilner always seems to get particular pleasure out of his system when it goes against the grain of all the other voters.

On the other hand, his voting is right in line with most computer rankings, which are based on less-flawed logic. So there's that.

Many of the teams ahead of Utah in the computers will necessarily lose again. If Utah keeps winning, we will end up high in the computers' eyes.

Wilner explains his low AP ranking for Utah, and it's not behind the usual paywall.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/11/...et-me-explain/

Basically, he has been voting for a long time and has arrived at a definite system. The system is to just look at top 25 wins and losses for all teams and rank them accordingly. It's a simple system, and it has enough flawed logic to satisfy someone who is incapable of analysis. Wilner always seems to get particular pleasure out of his system when it goes against the grain of all the other voters.

On the other hand, his voting is right in line with most computer rankings, which are based on less-flawed logic. So there's that.

Many of the teams ahead of Utah in the computers will necessarily lose again. If Utah keeps winning, we will end up high in the computers' eyes.
    He's never liked Utah. Also, he's a Pac 12 writer and is more credible if he is contrarian about a Pac 12 team. Frankly, I think he believes Oregon is better than Utah and will beat Utah so it's easy to sacrifice Utah. I don't agree with him, by the way.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

The CFP committee is basically a smaller version of the old BCS poll. There are no objective criteria. Here are your committee members:

The ADs:

Rob Mullens, Oregon
    Gary Barta, Iowa
    Joe Castiglione, Oklahoma
    Terry Mohajir, Arkansas State
    Todd Stansbury, Georgia Tech
    Scott Stricklin, Florida

The ex-coaches:

Frank Beamer, Va Tech, 73 years old
    RC Slocum, Texas A&M, 75 years old
    Ken Hatfield, Clemson and Arkansas, 76 years old

The randos:

Paola Boivin, AZ media member
    Chris Howard, former player Air Force
    Ronnie Lott, former player USC
    Ray Odierno, former player Army

The CFP needs to replace an uninspiring human vote with objective criteria. 5 conference champs plus the 3 highest rated teams in an agreed set of transparent computer rankings.

Right. Which is why I wrote originally that the Utah scenario involves LSU and Ohio State unbeaten.
    I think he's mostly fair in his analysis. In one of his recent podcasts he talked about the PAC-12 needing flagship football programs. He mentioned Utah in that role with their fan support, stable coaching staff and consistent rise in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I think he's mostly fair in his analysis. In one of his recent podcasts he talked about the PAC-12 needing flagship football programs. He mentioned Utah in that role with their fan support, stable coaching staff and consistent rise in the league.
    He's fair-ish. I just think his voting criteria are simplistic and not as advanced/logical as he thinks.

He tweeted this weekend that the Pac-12 needs some homers in the media like the SEC has, but he is apparently unwilling to take on that role.

We are going to really miss Julian Blackmon. The Blackmon blitz, sack, forced fumble, and Tafua long return for a TD--just as it looked like UCLA might make a game of it--may be in my top 5 all-time favorite Ute plays.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

His biting approach is weird.

Especially when he starts using comparative scores but does so in only two games, it looks as if he’s cherry picking games that back up his method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We are going to really miss Julian Blackmon. The Blackmon blitz, sack, forced fumble, and Tafua long return for a TD--just as it looked like UCLA might make a game of it--may be in my top 5 all-time favorite Ute plays.
    We thought the same about Marquise Blair. And about Marcus Williams. And about Chase Hansen. And about .... well you get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    His biting approach is weird.

Especially when he starts using comparative scores but does so in only two games, it looks as if he’s cherry picking games that back up his method

Wilner's pretzel logic

https://twitter.com/JFurKSL/status/1197214113685860352

He's been spending too much time in the Haight Ashbury district

Wilner's pretzel logic

https://twitter.com/JFurKSL/status/1197214113685860352

He's been spending too much time in the Haight Ashbury district
    It's actually good news that he predicts the winner of the Pac 12 championship will be in the Final Four.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

It's actually good news that he predicts the winner of the Pac 12 championship will be in the Final Four.
    nope he has Utah - Rose and Oregon - Alamo

Cactus symbol doesn't mean Fiesta? (I can't get behind his paywall--as a matter of principle I don't pay for sportswriters--and I assumed that sombreros are now off-limits.)

Cactus symbol doesn't mean Fiesta? (I can't get behind his paywall--as a matter of principle I don't pay for sportswriters--and I assumed that sombreros are now off-limits.)
    Nope, he says Alamo