Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 179

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

  1. #121
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    • By my count, the Utes have had 16 (does not include Jackson Cravens) scholarship players leave the program who did not exhaust their eligibility and were on the 2018 roster. It has been debated in other threads whether those players were or were not expected to contribute. Whether they were or not, it leaves the Utes with roughly 74 scholarship players going into the 2019 season. I think they still have a couple of initials so that could increase by 2 or 3 between now and when camp opens. The Utes have 19 scholarship seniors, so it is going to take several years to increase the overall number of scholarships. Schools that get themselves into numbers problems typically do not do well. The lack of numbers this year might not hurt, but it will at some point.
      As I look at the current roster, I see the following:
      QB. Huntley's injury history suggests that he won't play the entire season. With Rising ineligible (has there been a decision?), we are 1 play away from Drew Lisk. I am not sure he is a D-1 player.
      RB. No concerns. Still wish we had Shyne.
      WR. I have concerns and we only have 10 scholarship players.
      TE. No concerns.
      OL. Plenty of concerns, numbers are fine, but there were a couple of classes that would be juniors and seniors right now that were not evaluated very well.
      DT. I count 6. No concerns this year, but numbers going forward are a concern.
      DE. 6, 3 with strong resumes but very young beyond those 3.
      LB. Similar to DE.
      S. Who is the safety opposite Blackmon? The other guys I have seen there are Burgess and Hubert. Our safeties are called on to make too many tackles to make it through a season without injury.
      CB. We look good this year and there are a lot of young guys on the roster.
      I think the Utes have the opportunity to be very good this year. Development of OL will be key. A factor frequently overlooked about the Sugar Bowl team is that the Utes started the same 11 on offense every game. Not sure about defense, but I cannot remember them losing anyone for the season. I don't think playing a PAC 12 schedule will allow the Utes to avoid injury, so is there enough depth at WR, OL, DE, LB and S to win a championship?


    What about Jason Shelley?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    What about Jason Shelley?
    I think he was referring to Shelley in "we are 1 play away." Assuming Huntley gets injured, we are 1 play away from Lisk.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I think he was referring to Shelley in "we are 1 play away." Assuming Huntley gets injured, we are 1 play away from Lisk.
    So Huntley's not injured yet, we don't know if Rising is eligible, and regardless we're still two deep with experienced QBs who each started multiple games leading the team when the won the Pac 12 South last season.

    Uteopia's is what I call a sky is falling post.

    Am I the only one who's intrigued by Lisk?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    So Huntley's not injured yet, we don't know if Rising is eligible, and regardless we're still two deep with experienced QBs who each started multiple games leading the team when the won the Pac 12 South last season.

    Uteopia's is what I call a sky is falling post.

    Am I the only one who's intrigued by Lisk?
    Two years of history tells me that the chances of Huntley playing every game are slim. I am not intrigued at all by Lisk. He was given a scholie a year ago because he was going to transfer to 1AA school. He is not a D-1 QB. I like Shelley. The reality is that if Rising is ineligible, we have 2 QB's. If we got to the point of playing Lisk, we might as well just snap the ball to Moss and add a fullback as an additional blocker. How's that for the sky is falling?

    Just trying to generate some discussion.

  5. #125
    I hope and assume that Ludwig will run Huntley much less and differently that Troy Taylor did. I hope that reduces the risk of injury.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I hope and assume that Ludwig will run Huntley much less and differently that Troy Taylor did. I hope that reduces the risk of injury.
    I don't think he will have many designed runs, but I think Huntley was hurt scrambling on pass plays, not on designed runs.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I don't think he will have many designed runs, but I think Huntley was hurt scrambling on pass plays, not on designed runs.
    I hope he will have fewer option plays and will be discouraged from keeping the ball on every option, which seemed to be his tendency.

  8. #128
    I share Uteopia's consternation about who is going to play safety this year. This has been a position that Whit has always stocked with talent, but I don't even know the names of our safeties other than Blackmon this year.

  9. #129

    Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

    I guess I can stop holding my breath now.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #130
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I guess I can stop holding my breath now.

    Refresh my memory -- is this guy presumably headed to Utah? He needs to get academically qualified?

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Refresh my memory -- is this guy presumably headed to Utah? He needs to get academically qualified?
    Yes. Yes.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I share Uteopia's consternation about who is going to play safety this year. This has been a position that Whit has always stocked with talent, but I don't even know the names of our safeties other than Blackmon this year.
    The other starter will be Terrell Burgess, who will also be a senior. Burgess backed up and played quite a bit last year. He will be fine. The guys behind them have not played any meaningful snaps.

  13. #133
    Kurt Kragthorpe ranked Utah's schedule according to 3 criteria: difficult, importance and intrigue. He had BYU at 7, 3 and 3. How do you see it.

    Difficulty: @Washington, WSU, @USC, ASU, @BYU, @UA, UCLA, CU, Cal, N. Ill., @ Oregon St., Idaho St. I have BYU 5 because it is game 1 and on the road.
    Importance: Pac 12 games, BYU, N. Ill., Idaho St.
    Intrigue: @Washington, WSU, @USC, ASU, @BYU, @UA, UCLA, CU, Cal, N. Ill., @ Oregon St., Idaho St. I have BYU 5 because it is game 1 and on the road. If the BYU game was the last game of the season, it would pretty much mirror how I ranked importance.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Importance: Pac 12 games, BYU, N. Ill., Idaho St.
    Importance is an interesting one because it doesn't distinguish between short term and long term importance. Oregon State is hopefully more important for this season due to conference standings. On the other hand, the continued in-state dominance is more important than an Oregon State game when it comes to recruiting.

    If we are going to compete for the division, I'd rather have any Pac-12 game than the BYU game. If we are not, I'd prefer a win over BYU to some of the lesser Pac-12 teams.

    It's easy for me to talk about preferring this or that, but when we were going to lose to BYU this year, I was pretty unhappy about it. I still love to beat them and hate to lose to them.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I guess I can stop holding my breath now.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha. It's fun. Have a nice day !

  16. #136
    Seems like an interesting addition. Kid has had a pretty serious concussion history, so not sure how this plays out.


  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Seems like an interesting addition. Kid has had a pretty serious concussion history, so not sure how this plays out.

    Interesting. I don’t believe he ever showed up to fall camp for UCLA. Hopefully he has matured and is ready for some blue collar football.

  18. #138
    He was a phenomenal athlete, but never was a good football player. I hope that (and the concussion problems) magically change.

  19. #139
    Will Mique be eligible this season?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Will Mique be eligible this season?
    If he graduates this summer (then he'll be a grad transfer). Supposedly he's on track, but lots of things can happen.

  21. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    If he graduates this summer (then he'll be a grad transfer). Supposedly he's on track, but lots of things can happen.
    From the article I read, I thought he has graduated already, maybe last week. That is why they announced it, I thought.

  22. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Importance is an interesting one because it doesn't distinguish between short term and long term importance. Oregon State is hopefully more important for this season due to conference standings. On the other hand, the continued in-state dominance is more important than an Oregon State game when it comes to recruiting.

    If we are going to compete for the division, I'd rather have any Pac-12 game than the BYU game. If we are not, I'd prefer a win over BYU to some of the lesser Pac-12 teams.

    It's easy for me to talk about preferring this or that, but when we were going to lose to BYU this year, I was pretty unhappy about it. I still love to beat them and hate to lose to them.
    Our main competition for in-State athletes seem to be other P5's. Yes, there are guys who choose between Utah and BYU, but that group is smaller now than it once was. Like it or not, we still compete against Oregon St. and Washington St. for recruits. It might be more important for recruiting to beat them than to beat BYU.

    I was unhappy, but not like I would have been in other years. The comeback was one of the best I have ever witnessed. The other was against Arizona in the early 70's.

  23. #143
    Because it is the 1st game, to me BYU game has more importance this year. We are hoping for a championship run. Losing to them will really get the year off to a bad start. It can be overcome, but could affect subsequent confidence and performance.

  24. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Because it is the 1st game, to me BYU game has more importance this year. We are hoping for a championship run. Losing to them will really get the year off to a bad start. It can be overcome, but could affect subsequent confidence and performance.

    I am a little more concerned about losing because it is the 1st game. BYU's entire season rests on this game. They will tank if they lose. In the end, the outcome will be determined by the Utes. Play to potential and Utes will win.

  25. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I am a little more concerned about losing because it is the 1st game. BYU's entire season rests on this game. They will tank if they lose. In the end, the outcome will be determined by the Utes. Play to potential and Utes will win.
    My biggest worry is the first game factor. Utah typically comes out sluggish in the first game, although to be fair it is usually an FCS opponent for whom the team is not very fired up.

  26. #146
    I actually like the fact that it is the first game. Last year the team was not at all up for the BYU game, while BYU was. It was perhaps the trappiest trap in the history of trap games, at least for a legitimate rivalry. Utah had just locked up the South and was looking forward to the CCG. The team was playing so flat and uninspired it was shocking, especially compared to how BYU came out in that game. That shouldn't be an issue in the first game. The team won't have played anyone except for each other for eight months and will be fired up, especially after listening to the idiotic SLC media talk about how BYU almost won last year and could win this year. I expect them to come out much more fired up and ready to go than they have been in recent late-season games.

    All that said, I am a little concerned about breaking in a new offense and having an O-line that hasn't really gelled yet, but all in all I think they'll be ready and much more fired up and ready to go than they have been for several years.

  27. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    All that said, I am a little concerned about breaking in a new offense and having an O-line that hasn't really gelled yet, but all in all I think they'll be ready and much more fired up and ready to go than they have been for several years.
    Coming out fired up is great, but our first game issues are traditionally about rust and execution more than anything else. This is why you schedule an FCS team first (that, and it gives you an easy game to get offseason suspensions out of the way).

  28. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Our main competition for in-State athletes seem to be other P5's. Yes, there are guys who choose between Utah and BYU, but that group is smaller now than it once was. Like it or not, we still compete against Oregon St. and Washington St. for recruits. It might be more important for recruiting to beat them than to beat BYU.
    I place more value on in-state dominance than you do. I think recruits will see it the same way. Even for a kid deciding between Utah and OSU, the Utah in-state dominance is more important than the Utah/OSU game. If they are wanting to leave the state, they need a strong reason to stay. Utah being the talk of the town, Utah being the team that everyone roots for, Utah being a local contender for great things accomplishes that. We are the clear dominant program right now, and I want it to stay that way. Beating BYU is essential for that maintenance. Beating Wazzu is not.

    So, again, if we need the WSU or OSU games to get to the Pac-12 title game, they are clearly more important. Otherwise, I think the BYU game is more important to our continued success. We want to be seen and the only serious football program in the state (like OSU or LSU).

  29. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    From the article I read, I thought he has graduated already, maybe last week. That is why they announced it, I thought.
    We are reading conflicting articles. Published a few weeks ago:

    Juarez has about seven classes left before finishing his history degree and intends to graduate by next winter. Then he’ll officially close his UCLA tenure and pursue a grad transfer.

  30. #150
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,511
    Interesting article from College Football News:

    Preview 2019: Utah. 5 Things You Need To Know, Season Prediction


    https://collegefootballnews.com/2019...C-gISe7jMQrdiY

    This was a point I haven't seen made anywhere before:

    Biggest Key To The Utah Defense

    Don’t let running games get into a groove. This will be among the nation’s best run defenses again – good luck averaging more than four yards per carry against this bunch.

    But it’s not just about the bulk yards against the Utes, because they won’t be there. It’s actually more about the attempts. Run it 40 times or more against them – meaning you have to stick with it, even if it’s not there – and it works.

    Northern Illinois lost early on to the Utes, but they hung around in a 17-6 fight by grinding it out 43 times. Along with turnovers, the other key element in the four losses last year were rushing attempts, with
    Washington (twice), ASU and Northwestern all running it 40 times or more. No one other than NIU was able to.


    To take this one step further, Utah is 3-12 in its last 15 games when teams run the ball 40 times or more.


    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •