Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Official Utah Utes 2019 Football Season Thread

Never been to a game at Washington. I think that will be my road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Never been to a game at Washington. I think that will be my road trip.
    It is a fun setting and environment. Hopefully it is a day game, because the views are spectacular.

I wonder what 2019 will be like, offensively?

Taylor was Utah’s OC for two seasons. In Kyle Whittingham’s reign, that’s about normal. Andy Ludwig lasted four seasons. Then came the parade: Dave Schramm, Aaron Roderick, Norm Chow, Brian Johnson, Dennis Erickson, Dave Christensen, Taylor.

Is it inability to move the ball or is Whittingham holding back the offensive output with his conservative tendencies?

“Bottom line is scoring points,” Whittingham said in March. “That’s the most important thing for an offense … it doesn’t matter how you get it in the end zone.”

As much as Utah talks about improving, it hasn’t been in the top 30 nationally in total offense since 2005. This season the Utes were a respectable sixth in the conference in total offense and fourth in scoring.

Occam's razor.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I didn't realize we were 4th in the conference in scoring. That's very good, especially in a conference full of trickster offenses. We always said that if we could get into the top half of the conference in offense, we'd win our division. Looks like we were right.
    Laute continues to move the goalposts.

I didn't realize we were 4th in the conference in scoring. That's very good, especially in a conference full of trickster offenses. We always said that if we could get into the top half of the conference in offense, we'd win our division. Looks like we were right.
    That was a great thing about this past season. I loved it, and I hope it continues.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -That perches in the soul -
    And sings the tune without the words -
    And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
    And sore must be the storm -
    That could abash the little Bird
    That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
    And on the strangest Sea -

Yet - never - in Extremity,
    It asked a crumb - of me.

Alas, when we are thinking about the future, there is very little in the history of KyleBall that gives us grounds for hope regarding the offense. His determination, firm set of football values, and tenacity are virtues, and they are also his Achilles heel so far as the offense is concerned. My opinion. No blasphemy involved.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-22-2018 at 10:36 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm not entirely convinced you even watch football.

What we saw against Weber, NIU, UW, and WSU was Troy Taylor ball. We just had a horrible case of the drops. Kyle exerted his influence (strong run game with innovative blocking schemes, run to set up down field threats, clock control) and Stanford/Arizona/USC/UCLA happened.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced you even watch football.

What we saw against Weber, NIU, UW, and WSU was Troy Taylor ball. We just had a horrible case of the drops. Kyle exerted his influence (strong run game with innovative blocking schemes, run to set up down field threats, clock control) and Stanford/Arizona/USC/UCLA happened.
    This is very common thinking among Kyle fans. When we lose after a poor offensive showing, it is the OC‘s fault. When we win, it is because of Kyle. When we lose after a poor defensive showing, everyone looks at Scalley. When special teams screw up regularly, as they did this season, no one looks at the special teams coordinator (who happens to be the head coach, last time I checked). But Kyle hires all those guys.

He also oversees recruiting, so yes, we have players who do well in a power running scheme: Moss, Shyne, and a big, talented offensive line. So a scheme that emphasizes the power running attack that Kyle likes, and around which the offensive personnel are built, works for the Utes. As Uteopia has notes, Kyle says he wants a power running scheme with bruiser RBs, one that takes care of the football and has a quarterback who can make big plays. That’s great, and it has worked for us.

I am critical of Kyle for hiring OCs like Taylor who don’t want to run his system, and for the constant turnover in the OC spot since 2008 and the problems that creates. I am realistic about the fact that really talented WR recruits and QB recruits who like to pass generally aren’t going to find in Utah an attractive destination. There can be no doubt that opposing schools use Kyle’s offensive philosophy to recruit against us. And so on.

Kyle is the most successful and greatest coach we’ve ever had at Utah. He is who he is, and he has limits, and I hope he stays until he retires. I wouldn’t mind seeing him retire sooner rather than later, but I am am ardent fan of the program and of the University and I am going to be cheering for him as long as he in his job, but I cheer primarily for the school, not any particular coach or player. Still, now and then I am going to be critical of Kyle. He is not the perfect coach. What really bothers me is that so many here, and on other fan boards, see Kyle as a sacred cow and become indignant when he is criticized. I am still going to criticize him sometimes, and in doing so I am not criticizing Allah, an LDS prophet, or the Pope.

So there!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-23-2018 at 11:35 AM.

--Yeats

Fourth is very good but let's not kid ourselves -- 30.8 PPG typically has you in the bottom half of the league, usually around 8th or 9th. Our offense didn't improve that much; it's that the rest of the league as a whole was much worse.

Kyle fans? Why can't we all just be Utah fans? That's what I am.
    LOL. OK, I guess I could say “Utah fans who place Kyle on a pedestal, excuse all his shortcomings, and abhor any criticism of him.”

--Yeats

I wonder if you think any of us fall into this category. I don't think anyone here is like that.
    You are not like that, but there are plenty of Utah fans in that category -- and we do have our own mini-Torquemada here on this board. But it’s OK. Most of it’s on the Facebook page, and it has become fascinating to watch.

--Yeats

People who say positive things about Whittingham don’t just spontaneously gush a liturgy of adoration. They respond to fans who have wanted to fire him....
    Firing Whittinham is an outcome that would be met with shock and derision in every quarter of people who know a lot more about college football than LAUte or Chris Hill. Those who have responded to LAUte’s nonsense are not the ones obsessed with Whittingham.... It’s sad that he can’t just accept Utah football for what it is—a program with fewer assets of every kind required to excel in the P5 realm than most P5 schools that nevertheless generally outperforms expectations and most P5 programs.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-27-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    People who say positive things about Whittingham don’t just spontaneously gush a liturgy of adoration. They respond to fans who have wanted to fire him.... Firing Whittinham is an outcome that would be met with shock and derision in every quarter of people who know a lot more about college football than LAUte or Chris Hill. Those who have responded to LAUte’s nonsense are not the ones obsessed with Whittingham.... It’s sad that he can’t just accept Utah football for what it is—a program with fewer assets of every kind required to excel in the P5 realm than most P5 schools that nevertheless generally outperforms expectations and most P5 programs.
    Be kind to all.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-27-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    People who say positive things about Whittingham don’t just spontaneously gush a liturgy of adoration. They respond to fans who have wanted to fire him.... Firing Whittinham is an outcome that would be met with shock and derision in every quarter of people who know a lot more about college football than LAUte or Chris Hill. Those who have responded to LAUte’s nonsense are not the ones obsessed with Whittingham.... It’s sad that he can’t just accept Utah football for what it is—a program with fewer assets of every kind required to excel in the P5 realm than most P5 schools that nevertheless generally outperforms expectations and most P5 programs.
    Merry Christmas, Seattle! ❤️ If you've ever seen me say anywhere that KW should be fired, or that Utah doesn't face the challenges you list, can you tell me if the statement you saw was adjacent to, above, below, or superimposed on the unicorn you also saw in my post?

Unicorn.png

I'm very sorry it upsets you so much when people aren't holding opinions of which you approve. It must be hard for you.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-27-2018 at 11:16 AM.

--Yeats

LOL. Seriously?

Hat tip to Dwight for finding this.

--Yeats

just saw a rumor that Sarkasian could be the next OC.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    We couldn’t make this stuff up. It’s wonderful.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We couldn’t make this stuff up. It’s wonderful.
    He just got fired in Atlanta, so it is not completely outer space.

He just got fired in Atlanta, so it is not completely outer space.
    It’s entirely believable, just a little weird to me.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It’s entirely believable, just a little weird to me.
    Just make sure that his contract includes a driver like it did at USC.

That would be big, but isn't he going to Tennessee?

Also, he is more of a Pro-Set guy usually. Do we have the players for that? We would need a different level and strategy of recruiting for that to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Just make sure that his contract includes a driver like it did at USC.
    He went through his program and (allegedly) has been sober for a few years now. He would be a solid choice in many ways.

He went through his program and (allegedly) has been sober for a few years now. He would be a solid choice in many ways.
    I could get used to the idea.

--Yeats

Let's talk about the new OC

We should go after..... Urban Meyer

No seriously here some candidates
    Sark
    Mike sanford sr
    Mike mccoy
    Put out a feeler to bevell
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Realistically it will probably be Hardin with some big sky unknown as qb coach

Heres a thought... what about holladay? Receivers have clearly gotten better with him.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

After how poorly the OL played much of the year and especially in the last two games, I am not big on Harding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Let's talk about the new OC

We should go after..... Urban Meyer

No seriously here some candidates
    Sark
    Mike sanford sr
    Mike mccoy
    Put out a feeler to bevell
    Mike Sanford Sr. should not be a candidate. Nor will he be.

Mike Yurcich from Oklahoma State? Might be a solid hire. Okie State had great offenses under him 2013-2018, and averaged just under 500 yds per game this season. Plus, he just left the program. Rumors have him going to Tennessee.

We really need to open the checkbook for a proven successful P5 OC, and that might cost $1M or more.

Maybe Kyle can show his commitment to the program and pitch in $500k of it.

Mike Yurcich from Oklahoma State? Might be a solid hire. Okie State had great offenses under him 2013-2018, and averaged just under 500 yds per game this season. Plus, he just left the program. Rumors have him going to Tennessee.

We really need to open the checkbook for a proven successful P5 OC, and that might cost $1M or more.

Maybe Kyle can show his commitment to the program and pitch in $500k of it.
    Kyle would never hire him.

--Yeats

Why not? Kyle just tried to hire rich rod. He seems open to anything.
    Historically it seems to me that Kyle has hired offensive coordinators he felt comfortable with, in the sense that they would not buck him. (This is not a dig at Kyle, I think most head coaches want that.) Now...if he really was serious about Rich Rod, then that would be a departure from that pattern, so your point is very intriguing. I don’t believe he would hire a hot shot from Oklahoma State, but I am prepared to be surprised and delighted.

--Yeats