Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2018 Utah Classic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Childs goes for 31/11. Yeah, that would’ve been nice on Utah’s side of the box score.
    He was no brekkot chapman or makol mawein or even van dyke.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He was no brekkot chapman or makol mawein or even van dyke.
    A lot more misses than makes with recruiting, it seems.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    A lot more misses than makes with recruiting, it seems.
    It hasn’t been Larry’s best thing. Many Utah fans have now been reduced to wishing we had BYU’s best player.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Haven’t you heard. Our coaches were going head to head with Arizona for a five star so they couldn’t offer him. Big shots.
    Larry may not end up succeeding in the PAC-12. Not sure of all the reasons for his struggles. Based on what I’ve seen of him I do think he’d be a good guy to have in a foxhole with me, however. You know about foxholes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Larry may not end up succeeding in the PAC-12. Not sure of all the reasons for his struggles. Based on what I’ve seen of him I do think he’d be a good guy to have in a foxhole with me, however. You know about foxholes.
    I think the crux of the problem may be our practice facility.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

The inability of some of you to tell the difference between Whittingham and Krystkowiak is inexplicable to me. If I didn’t know better I’d say you’re prejudiced against Mormons.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Utah is headed for 9th on the pac12

Byu is headed for 3rd in the wcc and an nit berth
    Ninth? I think the only team guaranteed to finish below us is Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Ninth? I think the only team guaranteed to finish below us is Cal.
    And how does the future look?

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Larry may not end up succeeding in the PAC-12. Not sure of all the reasons for his struggles...…...

Really like the guy and got us beyond the Boylen debacle, and hoping beyond hope he can break through permanently this year, but, feels like we've been just stuck in mud the last few years. We have some promising young players plus have Rylan Jones next season -- I really think the kid will do some damage in the P12 -- plus the kid from Finland. We saw two bad teams today, but we are just another level of bad right now. I'm gonna give him one season with Jones running the point before getting too antsy. If no significant improvement, then bring in Alex Jensen. He's ready to run a program.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

And how does the future look?
    Very bad. We can't seem to do anything but trip over our dicks. Everything is really bad right now. Top to bottom the entire program is just going slowly and aimlessly in every bad direction.

The inability of some of you to tell the difference between Whittingham and Krystkowiak is inexplicable to me. If I didn’t know better I’d say you’re prejudiced against Mormons.
    Rats. As always, you have seen right through me.

--Yeats

It seems to me that there are two primary fan approaches to Utah athletics. One focuses on loyalty or devotion to a particular coach, and the other focuses more on loyalty to the University of Utah and its overall success. I am in the latter camp, and don’t think there’s anything wrong with the first camp. If Larry is not the guy who is going to produce success for the U of U, then that’s too bad, and I wish him well, but we need to find another head coach. Early in the football season, I was worried that Whittingham might not be the guy, but I think he’s now clearly shown that he is.

--Yeats

It seems to me that there are two primary fan approaches to Utah athletics. One focuses on loyalty or devotion to a particular coach, and the other focuses more on loyalty to the University of Utah and its overall success. I am in the latter camp, and don’t think there’s anything wrong with the first camp. If Larry is not the guy who is going to produce success for the U of U, then that’s too bad, and I wish him well, but we need to find another head coach. Early in the football season, I was worried that Whittingham might not be the guy, but I think he’s now clearly shown that he is.
    You’re so full of yourself, as usual. It has nothing to do with devotion to coach. It’s about weighing the potential upside and downside of a change and looking at his overall record. If some fat cats could replace Whitt with Urban Meyer today I’d be all for it. We don’t have man crushes on Whit. Why can’t you fathom the different circumstances between our basketball and football programs? Seems to me kind of an IQ test. Krystkowiak has had us in the NCAA tournament 2 out of 8 years. He’s never gained any traction in developing a program and an identity. He’s made egregious recruiting mistakes. He’s never given us a special season. 2008 buys Whit an extra couple of years whatever is happening now. One of those NCAA tournaments ended with a humiliating slaughter by underdog Gonzaga. After eight years we seem to be back at about where we started with this coach. Good players have left the program since he came. You seem to be totally clueless about the rebuilding horizon for football and basketball and consequences of a hiring mistake.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

That went about as I thought. Yoeli probably bails after this year for some pro career of some sort....at least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever known a Utah fan who places loyalty to a coach over loyalty to the U. Maybe family members or close friends? We are fans, and we want to win. We disagree sometimes on the best path to victory. Sometimes giving an underperforming coach more time is the right thing to do. Sometimes it's not. There are examples and counterexamples all over college athletics.

I admit that I like Larry, so in an uncertain situation, I probably lean towards giving him another chance. But I don't like losing any more than anyone else does.
    I may be the only one who remembers that LA Ute was very suppportive of Chris Hill pushing out Majerus and then he came to Utefans spouting all kinds of confidence that we could easily fill his shoes.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

I may be the only one who remembers that LA Ute was very suppportive of Chris Hill pushing out Majerus and then he came to Utefans spouting all kinds of confidence that we could easily fill his shoes.
    You should be AD and head basketball coach.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    You should be AD and head basketball coach.
    Not coach, but AD, yes.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Probably because you're the only one with LA Ute Derangement Syndrome.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Probably because you're the only one with LA Ute Derangement Syndrome.
    No. Every poster on Cougarstadium has it too.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

No. Every poster on Cougarstadium has it too.
    This is the problem. Obviously you spend too much time there and you have become infected.

--Yeats

I have heard there is dysfunction in both the U amd y programs. Childs will turn pro after this year; at least one other player will leave the U. Fwiw.

The 2018 Utah Classic Thread

What color was the unicorn I was riding when I did that? Purple or green? These details tend to be variable with you.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-08-2018 at 05:31 PM.

--Yeats

Obviously Childs was the difference in this game---BYU has a star & Utah doesn't.

I have always had Larry K's back, BUT why not double Childs every time he touches the ball? make the other 4 beat you?

And why are we starting PVD again?? he tries hard, but so do I & I never get in the game, but he can't play defense & the ball stops when he gets it--he is a spot up shooter at best.
    he came out in the 2nd half & got the first 2 shots blocked--to set the tone.
    Both Gach is good now & will only get better---give him as many minutes as he can play.

Sedrick may want to be a point guard, so he can play that position for money, but he isn't good at it. He does not look to pass--at least not forward. finally today he passed to Battin on a pick & pop for 3. But usually the ball stops when he gets it.

Finally how could Charles Jones be the JUCO player of the year?? he has no offensive game.

The 2018 Utah Classic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever known a Utah fan who places loyalty to a coach over loyalty to the U. Maybe family members or close friends? We are fans, and we want to win. We disagree sometimes on the best path to victory. Sometimes giving an underperforming coach more time is the right thing to do. Sometimes it's not. There are examples and counterexamples all over college athletics.

I admit that I like Larry, so in an uncertain situation, I probably lean towards giving him another chance. But I don't like losing any more than anyone else does.
    I really was just trying to describe two different approaches to fanhood. As I said, there’s nothing wrong with either of them.

--Yeats

Trying to keep things in perspective, I thoroughly enjoyed last years NIT run. To me that was the equivalent of making it to the round of 32 in the NCAA's. I still believe in Krysko despite this years audacious start. His teams always seem to play better come late January and February.

Laughing at the folks who want LK out. They seem to forget how awful we were before LK. This team needs a Bibbins. Gach needs to take over.

Snafu,
    I don't know that too many people are saying Larry should go but don't you get a little worried at the lack of an identity for basketball under Larry? I was so excited following the first two seasons because they played hard and they played together. I haven't seen enough consistency in that regard. It is not the culture even though Larry likes to say it is. This team is young but you can insist on playing hard and playing together even as you're developing. Speaking of development, I don't see a commitment to player development (I'm a broken record on this one). I worry that Larry's staff isn't a player-friendly staff. I don't mean that they should be lenient and buddy-buddy, I mean that they should have the players' development and team development first and foremost in their minds. I don't see a Jeff Judkins on this staff. Given the emphasis that is growing on player development in the NBA, I would think universities who have to rely on two, three and four-year players (not one-and-dones) would be realizing the need for development. All Larry has to do is look down the road to see one of the best franchises right now in the NBA at development. I do realize this is easier said than done. A coach has to get a team ready to play one or two teams a week throughout the season. That leaves very little time for skill development given the academic commitment players need to have. Player commitment to development is paramount but a coaching staff ought to be very engaged with student athletes in this space. I look no further than Jayce Johnson at the free throw line to see there is a gap.

On the local front, it's time for Larry to embrace playing all of the local teams. Alternating home games with BYU and USU should be happening every year. I've heard UVU, Weber and SUU are willing to come to SLC every season. Play two of those three every season. It seems to me we need to bring a stronger care factor back to the program about being the big Dawg in the state. BYU really wanted this game today. Utah did not.
    Last edited by Utebiquitous; 12-08-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Grammar

Seton Hall just knocked off our next opponent, Kentucky, in OT. (UK doesn't look like their typical roster of McDonald's AAs, but they're definitely talented).

In other news, JoJo Zamora is having an impact at New Mexico State and went for 27 vs UNM. (That was the Devon Daniels blowup season, right?)

I don't know what the situation was with Vante Hendrix, but he unquestionably looked like one of our most talented players.

Larry has found a way to have the team play better by February, but given his salary, it seems like we shouldn't have rebuild years of this level of struggling. We had Bibbins bail us out last year, but with much higher level talent coming in, I thought we might be a bubble team, maybe make another run in the NIT.

When we were getting spanked today, I had the thought this might be Harlan's first serious issue.

Something's not quite right, it feels.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 12-08-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Laughing at the folks who want LK out. They seem to forget how awful we were before LK. This team needs a Bibbins. Gach needs to take over.
    Yeah, Chris Hill and LAUte practically destroyed a once great program (before your time). They didn’t mean to do it. But it was mostly their egos. I’m sure Hill repelled worthy coaches, the way he treated Majerus.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have heard there is dysfunction in both the U amd y programs. Childs will turn pro after this year; at least one other player will leave the U. Fwiw.
    Level of concern here depends entirely on who it is that leaves.