Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The 2018 Utah Classic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I like what the Big 10 is doing to try and drum up interest in November and December by scheduling conference games, but that's also a byproduct of a 20-game league slate.
    I've seen the idea floated by various pundits that the college basketball season would greatly benefit from being pushed back by 4-6 weeks, as in we'd barely be starting official games within the last week or so. This would push March Madness into April or even May, which would be weird but I think that is one event that people will watch regardless of when it falls on the calendar.

How many of the best OOC basketball matchups come in tournaments around Thanksgiving? Those were a lot bigger 15+ years ago before CFB was playing a 12 game season and conference championship games were so prevalent. Now CFB extends at least a full weekend after Thanksgiving weekend, which buries most of college basketball's best pre-season content. Most college basketball teams open with a couple of tuneups, play some sort of tournament around Thanksgiving and then spend December with a couple of marquee games in between finals week and Christmas week cupcakes. Then you're into January and conference play before people really have a reason to tune in to CBB.

I think pushing it back would be a good move to separate CBB from the shadow of CFB, but I'm sure it's more complicated than I can see.

Larry's Pac 12 results:

2011-12: 11th
    2012-13: 10th
    2013-14: 8th NIT
    2014-15: 2nd NCAA
    2015-16: 2nd NCAA
    2016-17: 4th NIT
    2017-18: 3rd NIT

20 win team in each of last 5 years after putting out Boylen's dumpster fire. I really believe he has what he needs in Rylan Jones' basketball IQ next year to begin a steeper trajectory for this program. Unless something unusual happens, I'd like to see what this year plus next year brings. I completely understand the anxiousness to head in a different direction, but I can't bring myself to throw in the towel on him yet, in spite of genuine concerns and warning signs.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Larry's Pac 12 results:

2011-12: 11th
    2012-13: 10th
    2013-14: 8th NIT
    2014-15: 2nd NCAA
    2015-16: 2nd NCAA
    2016-17: 4th NIT
    2017-18: 3rd NIT

20 win team in each of last 5 years after putting out Boylen's dumpster fire. I really believe he has what he needs in Rylan Jones' basketball IQ next year to begin a steeper trajectory for this program. Unless something unusual happens, I'd like to see what this year plus next year brings. I completely understand the anxiousness to head in a different direction, but I can't bring myself to throw in the towel on him yet, in spite of genuine concerns and warning signs.
    Those last two seasons... how in the world is the PAC-12 a 2-3 bid league (just like Socalpat said). Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Those last two seasons... how in the world is the PAC-12 a 2-3 bid league (just like Socalpat said). Crazy.

It could be a 1 bid league this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

I may be misremembering but I feel like weak ooc schedules both years kept us out.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I may be misremembering but I feel like weak ooc schedules both years kept us out.
    That is not true of last year's team (that is, a tougher OOC alone would not have had us in the tournament). I can't remember about the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That is not true of last year's team (that is, a tougher OOC alone would not have had us in the tournament). I can't remember about the year before.
    Yeah, probably a combination. If I remember right, we were right there had we beaten USC and were among the last teams out prior to that loss/early out in Vegas. Still, if we replace the 300+ teams with 150-200, I think our RPI might have gotten us in. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It could be a 1 bid league this year.
    I predict 3, but none higher than a 5 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Yeah, probably a combination. If I remember right, we were right there had we beaten USC and were among the last teams out prior to that loss/early out in Vegas. Still, if we replace the 300+ teams with 150-200, I think our RPI might have gotten us in. Oh well.
    Utah was a 2-seed in the NIT last year, which means that (at least in the NIT's estimation) they were among the 5-8 best teams not in the NCAA. (I realize the NCAA committee may not have held the same opinion but it still gives you a reference point). The prior year I think Utah was a 3 or 4 seed in the NIT when the lost to Boise State.

The irony (okay, maybe not irony but just something that sucks) is that with some better OOC scheduling a few breaks Utah could have made the NCAA both of those seasons. In hindsight, I do think the team was good enough both years to make it with some better scheduling (i.e. no sub-250 RPI games and a couple more marquee games) and some luck (better chemistry two years ago, no Donnie Tillman injury last year, etc).

Larry could easily be riding a 4-year NCAA streak and I think people would be a lot more patient with this year's rebuild. But those are missed opportunities so now he has a lot more work to do to sell everyone on the future of this program.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I do think the team was good enough both years to make it with some better scheduling (i.e. no sub-250 RPI games and a couple more marquee games) and some luck (better chemistry two years ago, no Donnie Tillman injury last year, etc).
    Yes. What we saw last season (and the previous) is that a better OOC schedule alone would not have been enough. We needed more quality wins each season. So you can argue that a better OOC may have given us the extra wins to get in, but there's no reason to think we'd have won the types of games in November that we lost in Jan, Feb, and March.

In the end, we just didn't win enough of our quality match ups either year.