Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2018 Utah Classic Thread

The 2018 Utah Classic Thread

BYU - Utah @ The Viv at noon on Saturday.

BYU has had an up and down year but they now have the services of Nick Emery, who had a nice debut against teh Aggies last night. Going to need a number of guys to step up to get the W here.

BYU has scored 103 points and 95 points in their past 2 games. I didn't watch either game, so I'm not sure how much that has to do with them or their opponents. But I'm not sure our team can keep up with that pace, or is strong enough defensively to slow BYU down.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Who is supposed to guard/box out Childs?
    We are going to have to go inside to Jayce and force them to put childs on him. USU plan was that last night and byu couldnt stop queta. problem is that he got in foul trouble and that is when the rails came off.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    We are going to have to go inside to Jayce and force them to put childs on him. USU plan was that last night and byu couldnt stop queta. problem is that he got in foul trouble and that is when the rails came off.
    Our game plan runs through Jayce? Good luck with that. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Our game plan runs through Jayce? Good luck with that. Yikes.
    He was the best player on the floor for the Tulsa game so there’s that.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    BYU has scored 103 points and 95 points in their past 2 games. I didn't watch either game, so I'm not sure how much that has to do with them or their opponents. But I'm not sure our team can keep up with that pace, or is strong enough defensively to slow BYU down.
    They scored 103 pts and lost that game. That is something.

The Cougs are 126 in the new NET rankings and Utah is 136 (jumped because of Tulsa's win over OK St.). Would be a nice neutral floor win.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

How infuriating that Childs is not a Ute.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Yeah, I'd love to have him. Hindsight is 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    They scored 103 pts and lost that game. That is something.
    Yes. It’s something about how much Dave Rose values defense.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Of all things college basketball-related that might be infuriating, I’d put that one at about #100.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

All of the recruiting websites said he was going to be very good. It’s not 20/20 hindsight. But some here are incapable of being objective about this coaching staff. They call Yaoli a diamond in the rough while they ejaculate over recruits none of our competitors wanted. It’s totally infuriating that these arrogant caoaches turned away a local kid espn identified as the 53d best player in the country.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't do infuriated, but I wish we had him. I see Zach Wilson similarly.

Child's offer list was not the offer list of a slam dunk recruit. When Provo grabbed him, they thought they were taking a flyer on a local kid.
    This is correct. ESPN recruiting rankings are also trash. Nice try, Seattle, but no one follows hoops rankings closer than I do. In the ESPN rankings themselves, he was in and out of the top 100 all teh time. At the time, the staff and recruiting insiders at the local and national level were convinced that Markannen was coming to Utah. Markannen was then and is now the better prospect. Unfortunatley, we lost him due to ..............reasons.

So yes, in hindsight, we should have offered him and not pursued Markannen. At that moment, the staff made the right call and lost due to circumstances beyond their control.

All of the recruiting websites said he was going to be very good. It’s not 20/20 hindsight. But some here are incapable of being objective about this coaching staff. They call Yaoli a diamond in the rough while they ejaculate over recruits none of our competitors wanted. It’s totally infuriating that these arrogant caoaches turned away a local kid espn identified as the 53d best player in the country.
    I just want to make the record clear that I have never ejaculated on or over a recruit.

Go Utes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And childs begged to come here

Why are we playing so much zone this year

More punchable face
    Nate cooper or haws?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

More punchable face
    Nate cooper or haws?
    Cooper by a mile.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Need to rebound better in the 2nd half.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Not sure that BYU gets to 100 this game.

If we cab stop the big infuriation we can win

Great time to go cold

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Not sure that BYU gets to 100 this game.

Not sure we get past 28. 0-2nd half so far. Ugh.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Great time to go cold
    It’s infuriating.

--Yeats

I kind of hope haws goes to the nba so we can get stories of opposing teams taking bets on who can score on him at will or dunk on him.

Utah is headed for 9th on the pac12

Byu is headed for 3rd in the wcc and an nit berth

Childs goes for 31/11. Yeah, that would’ve been nice on Utah’s side of the box score.

Nightmare.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Childs goes for 31/11. Yeah, that would’ve been nice on Utah’s side of the box score.
    It's so infuriating

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Haven’t you heard. Our coaches were going head to head with Arizona for a five star so they couldn’t offer him. Big shots.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo