Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Hail to the Redskins

  1. #1

    Hail to the Redskins

    So, the Redskins might sue to prevent the start of free agency: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ore-cap-space/

    This would be a real interesting development if they followed through. Basically, the league (lead by NYG owner and NFC East rival John Mara) is banking on the fact that the Redskins don't want to expose the fact that there is in fact collusion in the league...so they'll take their penalty and move on. I'm not so sure. Dan Snyder isn't afraid to go to court, no matter what the consequence. I kind of hope they do it.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So, the Redskins might sue to prevent the start of free agency: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ore-cap-space/

    This would be a real interesting development if they followed through. Basically, the league (lead by NYG owner and NFC East rival John Mara) is banking on the fact that the Redskins don't want to expose the fact that there is in fact collusion in the league...so they'll take their penalty and move on. I'm not so sure. Dan Snyder isn't afraid to go to court, no matter what the consequence. I kind of hope they do it.
    I think my beloved Redskins (and the hated Cowboys) got utterly screwed by that ruling. They did nothing wrong. It was an uncapped year. Period. Why didn't they go after Tampa who grossly underspent that year? The NFL has so much money and power though. It's an uphill battle.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma Ute View Post
    I think my beloved Redskins (and the hated Cowboys) got utterly screwed by that ruling. They did nothing wrong. It was an uncapped year. Period. Why didn't they go after Tampa who grossly underspent that year? The NFL has so much money and power though. It's an uphill battle.
    Well, I think the question becomes how far does each side want to take this/dig their heels in. Let's assume the NFL calls the Skins bluff and tells them to go ahead and sue...and the Skins do...they potentially open up the NFL to antitrust issues, collusion, not to mention it opens a can of worms for the players union to try and expose and go after a larger slice of the TV pie. The question is...what is the Redskins number? How much cap space back could the NFL give them to make them go away?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Well, I think the question becomes how far does each side want to take this/dig their heels in. Let's assume the NFL calls the Skins bluff and tells them to go ahead and sue...and the Skins do...they potentially open up the NFL to antitrust issues, collusion, not to mention it opens a can of worms for the players union to try and expose and go after a larger slice of the TV pie. The question is...what is the Redskins number? How much cap space back could the NFL give them to make them go away?
    I'd like to see the NFL make a compromise and maybe give them close to half of that cap space back and drop it. Like you say. This could open up a whole new can of worms. Still, I don't think the Skins did anything wrong.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma Ute View Post
    I'd like to see the NFL make a compromise and maybe give them close to half of that cap space back and drop it. Like you say. This could open up a whole new can of worms. Still, I don't think the Skins did anything wrong.

    They clearly didn't do anything wrong. Plus, other teams did the same thing, they just didn't take it to the extremes that the skins and boys did. And I get it, if you're the other teams in the league and the league comes to you and says "hey so we're gonna dock the Skins and Cowboys 46 million and give you each 2.5 more...what do you think? "Uh, sure..."
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    They clearly didn't do anything wrong. Plus, other teams did the same thing, they just didn't take it to the extremes that the skins and boys did. And I get it, if you're the other teams in the league and the league comes to you and says "hey so we're gonna dock the Skins and Cowboys 46 million and give you each 2.5 more...what do you think? "Uh, sure..."
    Yes, clearly they're out numbered. Especially considering they are usually the top moneymaking teams no matter how bad they perform.

  7. #7
    This is being posted elsewhere...so why not here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...ange-team-name

    Snyder vows to NEVER (all caps emphasized by him) change the team's name. Now the real question becomes whether or not the NFL steps in at some point and demands it.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,463
    The upcoming Redskins saga.

    I was listening to an interesting podcast (Bill Simmons B.S. Report) the other day and they were convinced RGIII will be the catalyst for the end of the Redskins nickname. Their argument was:

    - both Art Munk and Darrel Greene (Both Redskins legend) have come out recently against the name, (although Greene has since backed off).

    - RGIII has a close associate that is strongly against the Redskins name, and was tweeting such at RGIII's Wedding.

    - RGIII’s brand will be hurt by being associated with the nickname.

    Thought it was interesting, and they mentioned it probably will happen in the next few years.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    The upcoming Redskins saga.

    I was listening to an interesting podcast (Bill Simmons B.S. Report) the other day and they were convinced RGIII will be the catalyst for the end of the Redskins nickname. Their argument was:

    - both Art Munk and Darrel Greene (Both Redskins legend) have come out recently against the name, (although Greene has since backed off).

    - RGIII has a close associate that is strongly against the Redskins name, and was tweeting such at RGIII's Wedding.

    - RGIII’s brand will be hurt by being associated with the nickname.

    Thought it was interesting, and they mentioned it probably will happen in the next few years.

    The media here in DC has also begun to publicly pressure RGIII to come out against the name...IMO, that's a bit silly, it is not his responsibility and his alone to be the catalyst for change. With Monk and Green, they both responded to a direct question about the name, so it's a bit misleading for Simmons to say that they "came out against the name" as though they just decided to do that one day.

    The more this drags on, the more the media goes after Dan Snyder, and as such, it becomes less about the name and more about his unwillingness to budge. They are making it more about him, and I think as long as they keep the focus on taking shots at Snyder and less focus purely on the name, the longer it will hang around.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  10. #10
    Redskins hire Bengals OC Jay Gruden, with a pretty sound staff underneath him. I like the move.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  11. #11
    DeSean Jackson agrees to terms.

    Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  12. #12
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,768

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  13. #13
    Will Washington ever make a smart move? DeSean is a talent but a cancer. I don't think Philly will miss him too much. I'm hoping Philly drafts Lee.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •