Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1998's Revenge - The Utah-Kentucky Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I hope something like that happens. I assume he has a buyout clause if another team hires him away, but I hope Mark Harlan will negotiate that down to $500 and picking up the tab for lunch.
    Assuming no more than 7 league wins and a finish no higher than 8th this year, with only periodic flashes of marked improvement ...

I think it would say a lot about Larry and his desire to make things better if he was a willing party to renegotiate his contract. His salary is a major sticking point among the fanbase, and rightfully so. We're not getting what we're paying for, and haven't been for some time. It would buy him tremendous goodwill among two major shareholders -- alumni/fans, and the media. If he's willing to do so, I'd lean strongly toward giving him two more seasons to figure things out.

If he's not willing to do so, then you've got an easy decision in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    You're forgetting JD Dubois when it comes to sr leadership.

And no....im not ok with any of the results or where we are at. I hope and believe there's a light at the end of this tunnel. But I'm not 100% sure.

My argument was against those comparimg this year's squad to Larry's first.....where we were a sub 300 team.
    Cedric Martin was also on that team, and I'm at a loss for how I looked at the Wiki page for that team and saw only Washburn. My bad ...

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Your tweet was particularly dispiriting

Patrick Sheltra
    @100ThingsUtah
    Following Following
    @100ThingsUtah

Even in the 5-win first season, Utah was a point spread monster in Larry's first four years. A veritable ATM. Playing above expectations by a wide margin. In the R32 and NIT years, about a .500 team ATS. This year? 2-7. There's a ton of money to be made by fading Utah now.
    Utah in the Pac-12 ... ATS (Season record in lined games)

2011-12: 14-16 (5-25)
    2012-13: 20-10-1 (13-18)
    2013-14: 20-8 (16-12)
    2014-15: 22-12 (25-9)
    2015-16: 17-16-1 (25-9)
    2016-17: 14-15-1 (18-12)
    2017-18: 19-13 (21-12)
    2018-19: 2-7 (4-5)

In our first four years, we were +17 in ATS wins vs. SU wins. In our last four years, we're -12.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Are you suggesting that Jones is just a bad fit who would thrive elsewhere? Maybe, but it's hard to see that. He has shown absolutely nothing. Not one positive moment in the entire season. Maybe he's going through something. Maybe it's psychological. Or, maybe he's just a bust. That's what it looks like.
    He'll thrive elsewhere for sure, but it likely won't be in a power conference. Like I said, I have no idea why both sides were so enamored with one another when there were plenty of red flags to suggest Jones wouldn't live up to the hype he generated at CSI.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He'll thrive elsewhere for sure, but it likely won't be in a power conference. Like I said, I have no idea why both sides were so enamored with one another when there were plenty of red flags to suggest Jones wouldn't live up to the hype he generated at CSI.
    Yeah. He's been a head scratcher to me too. His shot isn't great. Too flat. He must've just been more athletic than his competition at the JC level.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Yeah. He's been a head scratcher to me too. His shot isn't great. Too flat. He must've just been more athletic than his competition at the JC level.
    Plus he does not handle the ball well. he is very athletic, but not a good basketball player.

I think Larry is still working at it full speed. I don't think he wants out or will walk away.

If Gach is out tonight, then Sedrick will be running the team, which is not his thing.

Tillman needs to get his head straight & get aggressive.

the "crowd" tonight might number in the 100's.