Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy for Devon Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Comparing him to what we have here now & asking who sits.

He is/was a decent player, but the only hope for Utes after recruiting mistakes is/was to clear house & start over—-which they may be doing now.

So per the thread I am happy for him.

But Utes are better off without him at this point in time.
    I admire your looking forwarded and optimism. But I disagree with your last sentence. He’s better than anyone on our team.

If we had Daniels and Childs the Utes would be NCAA bound. I think that much of our coaches.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-21-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Childs was 1 of those recruiting mistakes. Daniels would not get them to NCAA if he was here. Better to build with freshmen from here. And add Lahat & the Finn & others next year.

Well, let's recount some things regarding Daniels as the fog of time has altered our view. SoCalPat noted that Daniels hasn't said anything publicly, and as far as I know the coaches haven't said anything publicly, and what we seem to know of that background has mostly come from 'insider' information, which isn't always the most accurate. We won't put on our SeattleUte tinfoil hats just yet.

But from those rumors, or what was explained before is that there was a problem with Daniels that escalated not only with the coaching staff but with the team, and if memory serves correctly, he served a suspension on the team mid season. At the time it was the understanding that it was not only the coaches decision, but the players decisions as well as a team what that would be and his terms for coming back.

So it seems doubtful that the management or mismanagement of Daniels lies solely with the coaching staff and their ability to deal with young hot heads, but that the rest of the team had a say in it too. How much I don't know, but you have to think that the only faster way to demoralize a locker room than having a 'cancer' in it (those aren't K's words by the way - that is again the propagators of the rumors), is to undermine the team rules and the wishes of the team in favor of said cancer because he has talent that SU likes.

Truth is, sometimes personalities don't mesh. I know plenty of people who struggle in one atmosphere where others seem to thrive and thrive in situations others seem to struggle.

We can't have a coach like Majerus for as long as we did to not understand this.

I don't know which one's Seattle Ute and which one is SoCal Pat?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Seattle makes one good point. Daniels hasn't said a word, and all we have is what appears to be a narrative that is slanted toward making the coaching staff look less culpable.

I'm not going to say because of this, that Daniels is blame-free or didn't show some signs of immaturity while he was here. He probably did. Maybe the entire incident was a wake-up call for him. But when relationships between players and coaches are strained, even hostile, I count on the coaching staff that's collectively making some $5M per year to get things straightened out, and not the other way around.
    I heard a lot about this at the time, and not from anyone on the coaching staff. Most or all of the players wanted him to leave; he was a very bad influence and really hurt team chemistry. Good for him that he is making the most of a second chance, but he had burned his bridges here. A fresh start was best for everyone.
    Last edited by concerned; 01-21-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Concerned and rocker are paid shills. Ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Concerned and rocker are paid shills.
    You’re just now realizing this?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You’re just now realizing this?
    Hey as one myself , I'm just told where to post, what to say, and where to pick up the check. I'm never told who my teammates are.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Hey as one myself , I'm just told where to post, what to say, and where to pick up the check. I'm never told who my teammates are.
    Can I file an application to join your team of shills? I’ve spent many years being Chris Hill‘s shill and engaging in multiple nefarious conspiracies with him. Now that he’s gone, I am searching for some other evil cause to be involved in. Yours sounds perfect.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm getting paid? Somebody's holding out.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I'm getting paid? Somebody's holding out.
    Yeah, can't I count this as charitable work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

update:

Devon Daniels is now coming off of the bench and is avg. 9.6 points/1.8 assists in about 23 mins per game. And less than two assists per. He's shooting 42% from the floor and sub 30% from deep.

Isaiah Wright - 12.5 points in 38 mins per
    Makol Mawien - 6.7 points
    Brekkot Chapman 12.7 points

am I missing anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    update:

Devon Daniels is now coming off of the bench and is avg. 9.6 points/1.8 assists in about 23 mins per game. And less than two assists per. He's shooting 42% from the floor and sub 30% from deep.

Isaiah Wright - 12.5 points in 38 mins per
    Makol Mawien - 6.7 points
    Brekkot Chapman 12.7 points

am I missing anyone?
    JoJo Zamora, but like Brekkot, he's playing in a season this year he wouldn't have been playing in at Utah because he would've used up his eligibility last year. I think Isaiah Wright fits that bill, too. Mawien would be a redshirt junior at Utah had he stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    JoJo Zamora, but like Brekkot, he's playing in a season this year he wouldn't have been playing in at Utah because he would've used up his eligibility last year. I think Isaiah Wright fits that bill, too. Mawien would be a redshirt junior at Utah had he stayed.
    He was highlighted on Sportscenter a few weeks ago for having missed 3 dunks in one game.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.