Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAC-12 hoops 2018-2019

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'll keep saying it. Hurley is borderline psychotic and his teams continue to burn out by January every year. Rinse and repeat.
    He's yet to have a winning record in league games, and tonight's loss might've sealed another losing record. 6-4, yes, but 5 of the last 8 are on the road. And of course, one of the home games is UW. The only real gimme they have left is hosting Cal. They're probably going to have to win twice on the road to get to 10 wins, and that won't be good enough to get a bye in Vegas.

Tonight was the single-most devastating loss for league that I can remember in a long time. Losing to Wazzu is an automatic disqualifier if you're on the bubble, unless you're up against another team with an even worse loss, which is unlikely.

What an absolutely nutty weekend. Utah and Colorado get road sweeps in LA, and, of all teams to get a road sweep...WSU does as well.

Logjam from 2nd to 9th:

OSU (7-4)
    Utah (7-4)
    ASU (7-4)
    USC (6-5)
    Oregon (6-5)
    Colorado (5-6)
    Arizona (5-6)
    UCLA (5-6)
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Did anyone else see Hopkins lose it and yell at his team vs ASU? It's always fun seeing other coaches lose control.

Three games tonight:

UCLA 75 (6-6) @ Cal 67 OT (0-12)
    USC 73 (6-6) @ Stanford 79 (6-6)
    ASU 73 (7-5) @ Colorado 77 (6-6)

Obviously, we'll be keeping a close eye on ASU vs. Colorado. Boyle has got his team rolling right now with three wins in a row and a near scuffle at USC. Maybe he and Hurley will get into it!
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 02-14-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Three games tonight:

UCLA 75 (6-6) @ Cal 67 OT (0-12)
    USC 73 (6-6) @ Stanford 79 (6-6)
    ASU 73 (7-5) @ Colorado (6-6)

Obviously, we'll be keeping a close eye on ASU vs. Colorado. Boyle has got his team rolling right now with three wins in a row and a near scuffle at USC. Maybe he and Hurley will get into it!
    USC and ASU lost
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    USC and ASU lost
    The middle continues to be muddled.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Colorado is on a roll after a 2-6 start in league play, and could certainly work their way up into that top 4 discussion. Imagine getting the 2 seed this year and having to face Arizona as the #7 or #10 seed...what a wild year.

Colorado is on a roll after a 2-6 start in league play, and could certainly work their way up into that top 4 discussion. Imagine getting the 2 seed this year and having to face Arizona as the #7 or #10 seed...what a wild year.
    They did something similar recently as well -- horrible start, torrid finish. Last year or the year before, I'm pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    They did something similar recently as well -- horrible start, torrid finish. Last year or the year before, I'm pretty sure.
    The opposite of their football team last year.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 02-19-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Should be an interesting week just above and below us in the standings. You never say never in this league, at least not this year, but you have to assume that ASU and Arizona are going to sweep their home games vs. Cal and Stanford, which will elevate Arizona to 7-8, drop Stanford to 7-8, and vault ASU to 10-5.

Meanwhile, the Oregon schools visit LA with Oregon St. holding a half-game lead over us and ASU at 8-4, while the ducks come in at 6-6. USC is 7-6 and UCLA is 6-7...so it feels like we want OSU to win and Oregon to lose...but that is just my early sense. If that were to happen, OSU would be 10-4, Oregon 6-8, USC 8-7 and UCLA 7-8. Maybe we want UCLA to beat OSU and lose to Oregon...I don't know. Either way, some teams below us are gonna pick up some losses.

And then there's Colorado...the team at the moment with the best shot of sending us to day one of the Pac 12 tournament. They've won 5 in a row and get Wazzu first...so if they do nothing else but earn a split, they'll be setting up a huge showdown with us, potentially with a bye on the line in Boulder.

Outside of us and CU, the entire league plays tonight:

Arizona (7-8) @ Oregon St. (9-5) - FS1
    Washington (13-1) @ Cal (0-15) - FS1
    WSU (4-10) @ Stanford (7-8) - P12
    ASU (10-5) @ Oregon (6-8) - P12
    USC (8-7) @ UCLA (8-7) - ESPN

I like the home teams tonight in all of the games except Oregon/ASU, which is probably the most important game for tournament seeding. ASU has the inside track on the #2 seed as it is, but I think a win tonight essentially locks it up because of tiebreakers, etc.

Outside of us and CU, the entire league plays tonight:

Arizona (7-8) @ Oregon St. (9-5) - FS1
    Washington (13-1) @ Cal (0-15) - FS1
    WSU (4-10) @ Stanford (7-8) - P12
    ASU (10-5) @ Oregon (6-8) - P12
    USC (8-7) @ UCLA (8-7) - ESPN

I like the home teams tonight in all of the games except Oregon/ASU, which is probably the most important game for tournament seeding. ASU has the inside track on the #2 seed as it is, but I think a win tonight essentially locks it up because of tiebreakers, etc.
    You like the home team in UW/Cal??? What????

Down go the Beavers! Exciting finish. UCLA/USC in overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You like the home team in UW/Cal??? What????
    I didn't really mean that. #Proofreading. I DO NOT like Cal to win.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Down go the Beavers! Exciting finish. UCLA/USC in overtime.
    Arizona and Stanford now 8-8, Beavers are 9-6 with ASU coming to town.

Sure about that?

Go with your first statement. You are a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He's yet to have a winning record in league games, and tonight's loss might've sealed another losing record. 6-4, yes, but 5 of the last 8 are on the road. And of course, one of the home games is UW. The only real gimme they have left is hosting Cal. They're probably going to have to win twice on the road to get to 10 wins, and that won't be good enough to get a bye in Vegas.

Tonight was the single-most devastating loss for league that I can remember in a long time. Losing to Wazzu is an automatic disqualifier if you're on the bubble, unless you're up against another team with an even worse loss, which is unlikely.
    Speaking of amended statements ...

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Go with your first statement. You are a genius.
    The DNF curse!

UW's loss to Cal is another blow to this conference's reputation. Sadly the PAC-12 might only get one team in the dance this year and that team might be a double digit seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    UW's loss to Cal is another blow to this conference's reputation. Sadly the PAC-12 might only get one team in the dance this year and that team might be a double digit seed.

UW is still in, so we get two teams if someone else can win in Vegas.

If the Pac-12 needed to have a horrible year, this was the best timing for us Utah fans. We have a mediocre team, and we're competing for 2nd place! Tomorrow's game should be meaningless, but instead both teams feel like it's a big game.

UW is still in, so we get two teams if someone else can win in Vegas.

If the Pac-12 needed to have a horrible year, this was the best timing for us Utah fans. We have a mediocre team, and we're competing for 2nd place! Tomorrow's game should be meaningless, but instead both teams feel like it's a big game.
    Yeah, maybe I'm just callous, but I don't really get invested in the "strength of the conference." We're fighting for second place (and an NIT bid)! Embrace the mediocrity of Pac-12 basketball! It won't last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, maybe I'm just callous, but I don't really get invested in the "strength of the conference."
    I'm with you in general on this. I wear Utah gear, and I care first and foremost about what's good for the Utes, even if that conflicts with the interests of the Pac-12 as a whole.

I think, however, that right now, it would be good for Utah if someone in the Pac-12 steps up and wins the national championship in football (preferably us but anyone would do). The Pac-12 has become a constant joke for college sports media, and I think it could reach a point of hurting the Utes.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, maybe I'm just callous, but I don't really get invested in the "strength of the conference." We're fighting for second place (and an NIT bid)! Embrace the mediocrity of Pac-12 basketball! It won't last forever.
    you're essentially cheering against more money in Utah's (and every other P12 members) coffers

having 3-4 conference members making a deep run in the tourney is good money

UW only fell from 29 to 32 in the NET rankings, which is not terrible. Cal jumped 20 spots...so they beat a team on the rise!

Lunardi dropped them from a 7 seed to an 8 seed playing in SLC. (Side note - he's got a ton of notable teams for the four games in SLC - Gonzaga, Wash, Villanova, Kansas).

The big loser for this league this year is ASU. Beat several good teams and keeps losing in really weird situations (Princeton, WSU at home - 28 point loss last night). I wish that ASU team had been in SLC last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    you're essentially cheering against more money in Utah's (and every other P12 members) coffers

having 3-4 conference members making a deep run in the tourney is good money
    Yeah, I guess. But how does that extra money make MY life better?

Lunardi dropped them from a 7 seed to an 8 seed playing in SLC. (Side note - he's got a ton of notable teams for the four games in SLC - Gonzaga, Wash, Villanova, Kansas).
    I'm going to the games in SLC with my brother to celebrate his 40th birthday. I was bummed to see that we'll get the Gonzaga 16 vs 1 game. I thought the Zags would go to San Jose, but turns out SLC is closer to Spokane than San Jose is. I hate having to pay to sit though a 16/1 massacre.

Hopefully, some of the other SLC games will make up for it. Hopefully, the Zags themselves will make up for it by losing to an 9 seed on Saturday.

I'm going to the games in SLC with my brother to celebrate his 40th birthday. I was bummed to see that we'll get the Gonzaga 16 vs 1 game. I thought the Zags would go to San Jose, but turns out SLC is closer to Spokane than San Jose is. I hate having to pay to sit though a 16/1 massacre.

Hopefully, some of the other SLC games will make up for it. Hopefully, the Zags themselves will make up for it by losing to an 9 seed on Saturday.
    I'll be there too. I'm really looking forward to it. If we somehow got the draw as it is right now, that would be something.

Last week of the season. Who's getting awards?

I think Tres Tinkle is POY. He's 2nd on scoring, 5th in rebounds.

Sedric is #6 in scoring. Jayce is #6 in rebounds. I think Sed is first team all conference. I don't think Jayce makes anything. There was talk about Donnie at 6th man. Maybe. Lu Dort gets freshman of the year. Is there an all-freshman team? Timmy Allen gets on that if there is.

I guess Hopkins is COY by default. Maybe Tinkle.

Last week of the season. Who's getting awards?

I think Tres Tinkle is POY. He's 2nd on scoring, 5th in rebounds.

Sedric is #6 in scoring. Jayce is #6 in rebounds. I think Sed is first team all conference. I don't think Jayce makes anything. There was talk about Donnie at 6th man. Maybe. Lu Dort gets freshman of the year. Is there an all-freshman team? Timmy Allen gets on that if there is.

I guess Hopkins is COY by default. Maybe Tinkle.
    I think I'd still lean towards Thybule for POY. I don't know if they will give him both that and DPOY, but he seems to be the most important player on the best team. I almost think you can't give COY to Hopkins after losing to Cal (kidding, mostly). Give it to Larry!

Freshmen of the year is probably Dort in a runaway.

Can Donnie Tillman still get 6th man of the year?