Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Race

2020 Presidential Race

The race is on!

Elizabeth Warren is the biggest name so far, but one name I think could emerge is Governor Jay Inslee of Washington.

Inslee's state has very impressive economic numbers, and he makes a compelling case that sustainable energy is the Apollo project the nation needs to ween ourselves off fossil fuels and create a lot of technology & related jobs.

I was a little disappointed to see Romney rule out a 2020 run, to be honest. But 88% of Republicans back Trump, so whatever happens with the various investigations - Mueller, SDNY, State of NY, the Emoluments lawsuits - might change the landscape.

Joe Biden expected to announce 2020 presidential run

https://nypost.com/2019/01/13/joe-bi...ce=NYPFacebook

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

2020 Presidential Race

Willie Brown takes a little jab at his former (20 years ago) girlfriend.

Kamala Harris has buzz, but it takes more than buzz to win an election

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...n-13563418.php
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-27-2019 at 02:26 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Willie Brown takes a little jab at his former (20 years ago) girlfriend.

Kamala Harris has buzz, but it takes more than buzz to win an election

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...n-13563418.php
    Harris has undeniable charisma, is smart, good potential. Winnowing the Dem field is going to be fascinating.

The Medicare for All position might be too aggressive... but the electorate is getting younger, quickly.

One of our best MDs, a really high bandwidth MD-researcher who is highly respected, is from BC. He said "though it may be unpopular among my cohorts, the best way to reduce our exorbitant costs in healthcare is to go to a Single Payer model". He mentioned a new kind of imaging, which has been very impressive in precisely locating disease, which a lot of private insurers won't cover, leaving the patient to pay $14,000.

"Or, I tell my patients you can go on a vacation. The same imaging procedure will cost you $400 in Australia, or $600 in Canada, out of pocket". The kicker - it's not a subsidized cost the Canadian and Australian taxpayers are paying for. We're just paying through the nose, and half the time private insurance won't cover it.

Healthcare is going to circle back around as an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Harris has undeniable charisma, is smart, good potential. Winnowing the Dem field is going to be fascinating.

The Medicare for All position might be too aggressive... but the electorate is getting younger, quickly.

One of our best MDs, a really high bandwidth MD-researcher who is highly respected, is from BC. He said "though it may be unpopular among my cohorts, the best way to reduce our exorbitant costs in healthcare is to go to a Single Payer model". He mentioned a new kind of imaging, which has been very impressive in precisely locating disease, which a lot of private insurers won't cover, leaving the patient to pay $14,000.

"Or, I tell my patients you can go on a vacation. The same imaging procedure will cost you $400 in Australia, or $600 in Canada, out of pocket". The kicker - it's not a subsidized cost the Canadian and Australian taxpayers are paying for. We're just paying through the nose, and half the time private insurance won't cover it.

Healthcare is going to circle back around as an issue.
    I doubt we will see single payer in our lifetimes.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The great thing for me is that I don't have to pay attention. I already know I'm voting for whoever runs against Pres Trump. I can ignore all the passionate idiocy of primaries and debates until Nov 2020. This is the easiest voting decision of my lifetime.

I know I'm not voting for Trump. I don't know yet if I'm voting for the Democratic candidate.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I know I'm not voting for Trump. I don't know yet if I'm voting for the Democratic candidate.
    I’ll write you in, muuser.

--Yeats

I’ll write you in, muuser.

My initial impression of Howard Schultz is pretty positive. Seems sensible and appears to have the temperament that could get some things done and temper the political rhetoric of the day. We'll see how that progresses.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    My initial impression of Howard Schultz is pretty positive. Seems sensible and appears to have the temperament that could get some things done and temper the political rhetoric of the day. We'll see how that progresses.
    I had just the opposite reaction: A bored very wealthy guy embarking on a vanity project for attention who doesn't really have any idea what he is doing or a purpose for doing it. Sort of like Trump, except he is not mentally ill.

Cory Booker in.

I can say this will 100% confidence. I won't vote for any democrat, save perhaps Klochubar, that had a hand in the Kavanaugh shat-show. The excludes Booker & Harris. Also won't vote for any candidate lurching left. That's two reasons not to vote for Harris.

Crazy Uncle Joe doesn't have the cerebral horsepower to run the country.

Not voting for Trump anyway, but, if he insists on declaring a national emergency over the wall, then not only am I not voting for him, but, I'm giving up my (R) and joining with the independents. Obama got the executive power grab rolling, but, if Trump has the authority to declare a NE over the wall, then the next president might declare a NE over climate change, healthcare, income disparity or any other divisive issue. These things ought to be left for Congress to hash out.

Schultz still looks pretty good to me. Waiting on other democratic candidates to declare...….

Elizabeth Warren Apologizes to
    Cherokee Nation for DNA Test

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/01/u...rokee-dna.html

--Yeats

2020 Presidential Race

Just after the elections, after Northam won by painting his opponent as a racist:

Now:

Last edited by LA Ute; 02-01-2019 at 10:40 PM.

--Yeats

...you will be writing in Alex Smith like I did last time.
    This country could use a terrific game manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just after the elections, after Northam won by painting his opponent as a racist:
    The coverage I saw on this was last night was a bit deeper. Multiple seasoned Dems in VA said they were shocked by the 1984 yearbook photos, which Northram admitted to and profusely apologized for.

Northram might be a changed man... but like with Al Franken, the lens looking backward might be a bit unfair, but there has to be unclouded clarity today. With 60% of Democratic voters in VA being African Americans, Northram just won't be able to be effective. It's like finding multiple DUIs in the past of the president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Gotta go. Sorry.

In a way, I feel bad for these guys from the South who grew up thinking this kind of stuff was OK, or funny, or whatever.

Going back just 7 years before 1984, I'll never forget Utah coach Wayne Howard's reaction to something said to him after BYU demolished the Utes, when they brought Marc Wilson back in to set a passing record. We were walking across the field (could be done in the those days) and as a teenager I saw a ruckus, which turned out to be Wayne Howard being restrained by other Utah coaches/staff.

An assistant, or trainer, or somebody with the Utes team said Howard confronted the Y coaches for the late RUTS, and apparently a BYU assistant told Howard "take your dirty niggers and get out of here"... explaining Howard's reaction. I saw it in real time. No idea who the Y assistant was, but 1977 was an era of toxic racial belief in Utah, though there were very, very few African Americans here.

If that assistant coach is still alive and wanted to run for political office, you'd see a similar response, if opposition research uncovered solid evidence of what happened. Doesn't matter that it was a different era, doesn't matter if that assistant went on to be a mission president in Africa and had effectively become a different person in terms of views on race.

Some stuff is so radioactive it just doesn't matter how long ago, and how much personal change had occurred since, with regard to being Governor or another public service office.

In the South the KKK still operates today, racism still exists, no matter what Roger Stone says.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 02-02-2019 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    The coverage I saw on this was last night was a bit deeper. Multiple seasoned Dems in VA said they were shocked by the 1984 yearbook photos, which Northram admitted to and profusely apologized for.

Northram might be a changed man... but like with Al Franken, the lens looking backward might be a bit unfair, but there has to be unclouded clarity today. With 60% of Democratic voters in VA being African Americans, Northram just won't be able to be effective. It's like finding multiple DUIs in the past of the president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Gotta go. Sorry.

In a way, I feel bad for these guys from the South who grew up thinking this kind of stuff was OK, or funny, or whatever.

Going back just 7 years before 1984, I'll never forget Utah coach Wayne Howard's reaction to something said to him after BYU demolished the Utes, when they brought Marc Wilson back in to set a passing record. We were walking across the field (could be done in the those days) and as a teenager I saw a ruckus, which turned out to be Wayne Howard being restrained by other Utah coaches/staff.

An assistant, or trainer, or somebody with the Utes team said Howard confronted the Y coaches for the late RUTS, and apparently a BYU assistant told Howard "take your dirty niggers and get out of here"... explaining Howard's reaction. I saw it in real time. No idea who the Y assistant was, but 1977 was an era of toxic racial belief in Utah, though there were very, very few African Americans here.

If that assistant coach is still alive and wanted to run for political office, you'd see a similar response, if opposition research uncovered solid evidence of what happened. Doesn't matter that it was a different era, doesn't matter if that assistant went on to be a mission president in Africa and had effectively become a different person in terms of views on race.

Some stuff is so radioactive it just doesn't matter how long ago, and how much personal change had occurred since, with regard to being Governor or another public service office.

In the South the KKK still operates today, racism still exists, no matter what Roger Stone says.
    I don't disagree with you at all on this and his need to resign (although he is now backing off and claiming it isn't him in the photo... peculiar). All of this is pretty fascinating to me though as the future holds an unprecedented, non-deteriorating and searchable record of every misstep our children may ever make. Will we gain wisdom to recognize the folly of youth, or even the chance for someone to make a change, or will this sort of stuff get more intense?

Also, what is socially acceptable today that won't be in the future that will snag people?

It is also interesting to think of things that would have been disqualifiers in the past that no longer are, like infidelity, sexual assault, corruption, bankruptcies etc.

From a Brit Hume tweet:

Quote of the day: Fmr SF mayor Willie Brown on the time he was dating Kamala Harris: “She loved me, I loved me. It was the perfect relationship.”
    Nobody ever mentions that Willie was married at the time.

--Yeats

[FONT=Helvetica]From a Brit Hume tweet:

Nobody ever mentions that Willie was married at the time.
    Willie was "married", but had been separated for almost 20 years at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Willie was "married", but had been separated for almost 20 years at that time.
    I didn’t know that. (Most people probably didn’t.) But maybe Harris and Brown were just “dating,” not dating. 😎

--Yeats

I didn’t know that. (Most people probably didn’t.) But maybe Harris and Brown were just “dating,” not dating. 😎
    I don't know what you are trying to insinuate, and won't discuss the obvious slut shaming. Buy the Republicans have forever lost the ability to have ANY sort of high ground on any question of morals.

2020 Presidential Race

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I don't know what you are trying to insinuate, and won't discuss the obvious slut shaming. Buy the Republicans have forever lost the ability to have ANY sort of high ground on any question of morals.
    I was really just teasing you about your scare quotes, my friend.

But now that I think about it, this disregard of marital fidelity is a bipartisan thing. Kennedy got away with it, Gary Hart didn’t, Clinton didn’t, and Trump is the most blatant about it — he pretty much erased the earlier standard of behavior, so now it’s not really even an issue with Kamala Harris. I am not being a prude, just playing political scientist.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-04-2019 at 07:40 AM.

--Yeats

2020 Presidential Race

Could Howard Schultz be the common ground we need?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f42dc1ccde77

--Yeats

This is just one more item on the list of evidence that the American public no longer values forgiveness.

I think it's interesting to see which Christian virtues survive and which are discarded in our post-Christian America. Love and hope are thankfully doing alright, I think. People still see patience as a strength. Forgiveness, modesty, and temperance seem to be on the way out. Self-reliance - is that a Christian virtue? - is now listed as a dangerous aspect of masculinity by the APA, alongside stoicism.
    Hard to know which behaviors are forgiveable, which aren't. When I was in HS, we had a big prep rally before our football team played for the HS championship, against our rival, West, who had a couple of stars who were African American.

One our FB captains got up and did a blackface attempt at mocking West and their stars, with a hideous attempt at a black accent, with a dumb wig that was supposed to be an Afro. I thought it was in extremely poor taste, but though we were taught racist things growing up, there were no African Americans in my part of Davis County, no lynchings, etc. We were spectacularly ignorant.

(Ironically, one of the West players, Reggie Wilson, who went on to play at the U, ended up being the brother in law of our "blackface" captain, though I don't think there was serious racism or lingering malice... I think he was just mocking West in the same manner he'd heard was done in other parts of the nation. 1979.)

How many Utah politicians were ex-Polygamists in the early 20th century? How many remained in marriages, were living out commitments, reluctant to walk away, but vowing to not continue accumulating wives?

How many could get away with that now? Could one of the Kingstons ask for forgiveness for beating his 16 year old daughter who didn't want to marry his brother, but aspires to public office? (I think this is an absolute clear "no".)

What's forgivable, what's not? I think marital infidelity might be murky. Trump's behavior with porn stars while the wife is home with a baby is probably unforgivable for many... but he's the President. If it came out that a man physically battered his wife, that's probably a clear unforgiveable.

Howard Schultz unifies the parties — against him

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...es-against-him

The question is, why the freakout? A Pew survey on political ideology last November showed overall Americans place themselves close to the midpoint on the ideological scale. Why would someone running as a centrist get so much guff?

Easy, said Michael Wear, a Democrat who worked in the White House’s faith-based office during President Barack Obama’s first term and directed faith outreach for Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign. “I think their position against him goes especially to the early part of the primary process, which is tailored to activists and donors rather than voters, so as someone outside of the party system, they can expose all of those weakness,” he said.

“And they can also expose all of the room in the middle, because they are trying to win campaigns on how awful the other candidate is,” he said.

In short, his or any other independent run exposes how the partisan game is played and how much voters’ concerns are ignored in favor of donors' and activists'.

Neither party wants to reveal the fact that they want to avoid the middle to win the primary, and you can’t win a primary without throwing out red meat to the activists and the donors.

An independent centrist like Schultz wouldn’t face the scrutiny of a competitive primary race, says Wear. “That is why I am cold on independent candidacies, especially in an election that is going to be this important."

But that does not mean centrist Democrats shouldn’t run, said Wear.

“Of course, there is room for a centrist, and I hope that more centrists run in the Democratic Party," he said, "someone who puts forward an active vision of how government could help those in need and the crisis we face in economics and climate change and presses the pause button on the culture wars."

"This is where I think there is an opportunity for someone who would tone down the vitriol in politics and have an active vision to bring us together," said Wear. “I think of Michael Bennett, Mitch Landrieu, John Bel Edwards, or Amy Klobuchar,” he said of the sitting Colorado senator, former New Orleans Mayor, governor of Louisiana, and senator from Minnesota, respectively.

Every over reaction in American politics tends to be about one of the two parties' vulnerabilities. An independent candidate like a Schultz hits at both establishment parties' weaknesses; they care more about their donors and their activists than the majority of the people in this country just looking for competent leadership.

--Yeats

2020 Presidential Race

Does this mean Warren is pretty much toast?

Using an open records request during a general inquiry, for example, The Post obtained Warren’s registration card for the State Bar of Texas, providing a previously undisclosed example of Warren identifying as an “American Indian.” … The Texas bar registration card is significant, among other reasons, because it removes any doubt that Warren directly claimed the identity. In other instances Warren has declined to say whether she or an assistant filled out forms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.87c8be82c252
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-06-2019 at 09:17 AM.

--Yeats

Maybe.I think that would be a shame. I don't know if she'd be good or not (I like many parts of her story minus the Harvard thing), but we disqualify people for so many silly reasons in politics. This is a mistake we should be willing to let go of.

Maybe.I think that would be a shame. I don't know if she'd be good or not (I like many parts of her story minus the Harvard thing), but we disqualify people for so many silly reasons in politics. This is a mistake we should be willing to let go of.
    I'd never vote for her anyway. I'm just wondering if she will get a pass from her party. I don't think so. Her supposed Native American ancestry has been tall tale that she's been telling for many years. Then again, Trump lies daily. Bill Clinton also had a flexible relationship with the truth, and they both became POTUS. So did Nixon and Johnson. Hmmm...I might be on to something here!

--Yeats

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.87c8be82c252
    I sure hope so. I decided the other day I needed to check out and see what Warren was about and how she has voted. IE I needed to see if I was being unfairly biased as I know some people who I respect who really like her. so I google her:

Her campaign website has nothing on her except a 5 minute video explaining how those who play by the rules cant get ahead. Nothing on her political positions. So I go to ballotpedia to see how she has voted. Here is a tidbit:

voted with the democrats 98.1% of the time.

Based on an analysis of bill sponsorship by GovTrack, Warren was a "rank-and-file Democrat" as of July 22, 2014.[13] This was the same rating Warren received in June 2013.
    IMO her knowledge of Basic economics is not strong or she could just be lying (looking at her bullshit "heritage" this isnt out of the question). Her position on minimum wage is moronic.

The above article just adds to the evidence that she is a gigantic phony

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    voted with the democrats 98.1% of the time.
    Who are the senators who did not vote with their party most of the time? How many of them are there? Did any of them come from deep blue/red states? I'm legitimately curious here.

I think there are some things to like about her. I like that Warren was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She came from a working class family and worked herself as a teen. She didn't go to an ivy league school as an undergraduate. She spent some time as a stay at home mom and some time as a working woman. Maybe none of that makes her a candidate of choice, but I bet she at least has some positive character traits, which we cannot say about our current president.

The big "lie" about Native American heritage wasn't a lie, was it? Didn't the DNA test confirm some Native American heritage? I might be remembering that wrong. That whole thing seems silly to me.

Who are the senators who did not vote with their party most of the time? How many of them are there? Did any of them come from deep blue/red states? I'm legitimately curious here.

I think there are some things to like about her. I like that Warren was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She came from a working class family and worked herself as a teen. She didn't go to an ivy league school as an undergraduate. She spent some time as a stay at home mom and some time as a working woman. Maybe none of that makes her a candidate of choice, but I bet she at least has some positive character traits, which we cannot say about our current president.

The big "lie" about Native American heritage wasn't a lie, was it? Didn't the DNA test confirm some Native American heritage? I might be remembering that wrong. That whole thing seems silly to me.
    She has a very small amount. Not enough to be considered by the tribes as Native american. She has used her "Heritage" to further her career. She talks about the normal person not having a fair shake... What about her own story? seems like she had fair shake. She's incredibly disingenous. "we need to make the ultra rich pay their fair share!" That means a big tax on anyone worth over 50 million. She's worth 9 million dollars she is the top .05% of net worth in the world.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

It seems that if bragging about sexually assaulting women and cheating on your wife with porn stars doesn't disqualify a candidate then pretty much nothing does.

That being said, Warren's handling of the Native American thing has to be one of the most embarrassing political gaffes in modern history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk