Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEAT LA!!... BEAT LA!! The Socal Road Trip

BEAT LA!!... BEAT LA!! The Socal Road Trip

First game is tomorrow @ USC at at 11pm Eastern on the PAC 12 Network

@ UCLA is Saturday 5pm Eastern on Fox

No lines yet for the games
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

If you can believe it, neither of these teams has better than a Q3 win out of conference. Our beloved Utes have one Q2 win (Grand Canyon).

3 of UCLA's 4 conference losses have come one the road, the lone home loss being ASU, and USC has yet to drop a home game in league play.

USC's net ranking is 78, while UCLA's is 86 and ours is 107.

No coach in their right mind wants to have to step up to a microphone and say that they lost to Andy Enfield.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Usc -6.5 tonight

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Anyone watching tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Anyone watching tonight?

<raises hand>

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Attached Images Attached Images

How is that not a flagrant on racocevic?

Why are they playing a zone defense? Do they not watch game film?

How is rakocevic still in the game? He got gach in the face

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    GachScratchFever!
    Hell yeah!

Very nice first half. Love that 3 freshmen started and that Gach rewarded Larry with some solid play. Can't let SC capitalize on that 6-0 run to end the half.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

BEAT LA!!... BEAT LA!! The Socal Road Trip

When these Utes are bad, they’re pretty bad. But when they’re good, they are very good. Tonight is one of those very good nights.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    When these Utes are bad, they’re pretty bad. But when they’re good, they are very good. Tonight is one of those very good nights.
    Don't speak so soon.

So this team can get it done on the road

So this team can get it done on the road

4-1 on the road now!

Headband Jayce came to play. 13pts and 13 rebounds

The lineup tonight should be the lineup for the rest of the year: Sed, Both, Timmy, Riley, Jayce with Donnie and Parker off the bench. That really seems to be a lineup that works well and gets the right energy off the bench. The young guys are getting critical experience right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The lineup tonight should be the lineup for the rest of the year: Sed, Both, Timmy, Riley, Jayce with Donnie and Parker off the bench. That really seems to be a lineup that works well and gets the right energy off the bench. The young guys are getting critical experience right now.
    I'm with you on this, as long as Donnie gets lots of minutes.

Don't speak so soon.

I had to turn in shortly after the second half began. Surprised to see we only won by 7. But I’ll take the road win and the balanced performance.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I had to turn in shortly after the second half began. Surprised to see we only won by 7. But I’ll take the road win and the balanced performance.
    They got a bunch of garbage points in the last 20 seconds

I'm done trying to figure this team out, project what they have to do to earn X seed in Vegas, etc.

All I know, is I'm in Vegas on work for almost all of the Pac-12 tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if I got to watch 3 games live. I also wouldn't be surprised if the team exited Vegas before I got there.

I can't believe in a team that loses at home as frequently as Utah does, in the manner Utah does. I also can't quit a team that over-performs on the road like Utah does. There's too many variables in play to say "What if?" with regard to an NCAA Tournament bid, but damned us all if we're not the most psychotic (and therefore compelling) team to watch in the league, and top 5 in the country. You just never know what you're going to get out of Utah basketball this year.

I liked the minutes distribution last night. I think it makes sense to start gach and bring pvd off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You just never know what you're going to get out of Utah basketball this year.
    Yes. It's like every other Larry season but amplified. Larry's teams have always had a few head shaking losses where the energy and focus just aren't there. Then they always have some games that suck you back in. Maybe it's more dramatic this season because the team is so young.

I wonder if Barefield should no longer be our go to guy when the shot clock is running down. He's too small to create a shot in those situations. I think Tillman going hard at the basket could be the better option.

Yes. It's like every other Larry season but amplified. Larry's teams have always had a few head shaking losses where the energy and focus just aren't there. Then they always have some games that suck you back in. Maybe it's more dramatic this season because the team is so young.

I wonder if Barefield should no longer be our go to guy when the shot clock is running down. He's too small to create a shot in those situations. I think Tillman going hard at the basket could be the better option.
    Both Oregon and OSU really shut down Barefield and decided they were going to make somebody else beat us. They basically played a box and one on him. Too much of our offense was relying on him.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm done trying to figure this team out, project what they have to do to earn X seed in Vegas, etc.

All I know, is I'm in Vegas on work for almost all of the Pac-12 tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if I got to watch 3 games live. I also wouldn't be surprised if the team exited Vegas before I got there.

I can't believe in a team that loses at home as frequently as Utah does, in the manner Utah does. I also can't quit a team that over-performs on the road like Utah does. There's too many variables in play to say "What if?" with regard to an NCAA Tournament bid, but damned us all if we're not the most psychotic (and therefore compelling) team to watch in the league, and top 5 in the country. You just never know what you're going to get out of Utah basketball this year.
    I was thinking about this the other day. If Utah ended up as the 8th seed playing
    Colorado - Wash - ASU - Oreg st those are all winnable (and very loseable) games.

One big problem is we go through scoring droughts like crazy....that can make this team seem maddening.

Perhaps. I've always looked at the inconsistency of Larry's teams as far as how a result happened, not necessarily W-L. Then again, I'm still haunted by the R32 year, where when we lost (which is one thing), we got absolutely drilled (which is something completely different). Our MOD that year was borderline historic for a ranked team -- somewhere between 15-20 PPG.

The swings are just crazy this year. Nearly sweep the Arizona trip. Come home and get pounded by UW. Sweep the Bay Area trip. Come home and get swept by the Oregon schools. Now we go on the road and dominate USC for 35-plus minutes, a team we had ZERO answer for last year and who returned just about everyone? What Ute fan doesn't need a trip to the couch after this season? We make the insane look normal.

Quote Originally Posted by socalpat View Post
    what ute fan doesn't need a trip to the couch after this season? We make the insane look normal.
    lol

--Yeats

PVD!!!!

A few days late, but that ain't our faults!

Good collection of clips here, including post-game reactions from fans and players:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25961218

--Yeats