Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowering Arizona - The Wildcats and Sun Devils Come to Town

With 4:07 left in the second half, we had made exactly 2 field goals in the half. I don’t remember ever seeing anything like that with a Utah team.

We simply got outplayed. Maybe it was a matter of quickness, but we were unable to prevent them from getting open looks at three-point shots. Also, time after time they simply took the ball into the paint, muscled to the basket, and scored. Through a strange combination of luck and being in the right place at the right time, I was able to sit on the floor for this game and watch that muscling in the paint up close.

I didn’t see the game we had against them in Tempe, so I’m left wondering how we won there.

Gach, Allen, and Battin are good building blocks for the future. Lahat is supposed to be special. We’ll see. Still, I can’t shake the feeling that we just don’t have the athletes we need to have to compete with the other teams in our conference.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-17-2019 at 04:58 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I didn’t see the game we had against them in Tempe, so I’m left wondering how we won there.

Lahat is supposed to be special.
    Barefield and Tillman both had career nights in tempe, and asu shot like they normally do.

This is the first time I've heard Lahat described as special. My understanding is that we hope he may be a good interior defender and rebounder.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Barefield and Tillman both had career nights in tempe, and asu shot like they normally do.

This is the first time I've heard Lahat described as special. My understanding is that we hope he may be a good interior defender and rebounder.
    True. I saw the stats for the first half during halftime. They shot about 61% during the first half last night from three-point range, and we shot 38%, which is quite respectable. I could not understand why they got so many open looks, however. When they are shooting that well, you’d think we would try harder to at least get in their way. Most of those open looks seemed to happen when we were in a zone. They also succeeded in keeping Van Dyke and Barefield from getting open looks. All of that seem to be a matter of their quickness over ours. But it was not just long-range shooting. They out-scored us in the paint in the first half, 12 to 4. In the second half they scored almost at will in the paint. Despite all that, we were able to keep the game within 10 points or so throughout, and got to close as 5 points. Strange game.

Mark Harlan told a group of us Lahat will be special. Don’t know why.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-17-2019 at 08:15 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    When they are shooting that well, you’d think we would try harder to at least get in their way. Most of those open looks seemed to happen when we were in a zone.
    We just aren't a good defensive team. Our zone gives up open shots, and our man to man is worse. Any team that is shooting well is going to tear us apart.

You are right about the last ten minutes. Reminded me of the Nevada game with that Martin guy driving over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We just aren't a good defensive team. Our zone gives up open shots, and our man to man is worse. Any team that is shooting well is going to tear us apart.

You are right about the last ten minutes. Reminded me of the Nevada game with that Martin guy driving over and over again.
    It was just an off night all around. We missed 16 free throws. Or maybe ASU's free throw defense was just superb.

--Yeats

Az St only has 1 senior--Cheatam, who is good. They could be a force, although Dort may only be there this year & maybe next.

I have seen Lahat in practice---he can run, jump, block shots, and is always around the ball---(but his range currently is about 5'), he looks like a player who would normally be at Oregon. Not sure if he plays the 5 or 4.?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Az St only has 1 senior--Cheatam, who is good. They could be a force, although Dort may only be there this year & maybe next.

I have seen Lahat in practice---he can run, jump, block shots, and is always around the ball---(but his range currently is about 5'), he looks like a player who would normally be at Oregon. Not sure if he plays the 5 or 4.?
    If he can play defense and rebound, he will be a great addition. I'm excited to see him play.