Thread: Let Us Now Praise Famous Men Who Shoot the J

Let Us Now Praise Famous Men Who Shoot the J

This thread is dedicated to great shooters in Ute history: Nick Jacobsen, Phil Dixon, Shaun Green. These are not superstars who shoot the ball well (Keith Van Horn, Hanno), these are one-trick ponies who might score 23 points on 7 three-pointers in any given night. They are a rare species. But that rarity heightens the enjoyment of watching someone with a silky smooth stroke.

So, have at it. Use this thread to discuss the purest of Ute shooters.

Oh, I've been wanting to start a thread on this. Great idea, AJ!

PvD! I love watching this doughy kid with his high arching bombs destroy the thoroughbreds of UCLA and Arizona. Everyone in the building knows what the guy is going to do (shoot) but they can only deny him for so long. Give him an inch and he'll slit your throat.

Add him to the long list of East High stallions like Josh Grant, Lance Allred, and Mitch Smith (honorary).

LET US NOW PRAISE PARKER VAN DYKE!
    Last edited by Applejack; 02-15-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Bill Riley had Nick Jacobson on his show earlier this week. Nick shot 42-43% from beyond the arc in his career. They had an interesting discussion about what he'd be able to do today, when 3-point shots are a bigger part of the game. Nick dismissed that as speculation, but did joke about how difficult it was to get the green light to shoot the trey under Majerus. He didn't get that until his senior year. He was careful to add that he loved Big Rick and wouldn't trade his experience at Utah for the world.

Anybody else remember the game against UNLV in 2004 when, after a perfectly-executed in-bounds play with time expiring, the Utes got the ball into Nick's hands and he drained a trey to win the game? Rick had left by this time but the play sure looked like one he had designed.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Lance Allred
    I used to play pick up with Lance (I'm sure you did too). He truly believed he was a member of this silky J club.

Johnny Bryant was a 3 point assassin. He went on to be a jumpshot whisperer in the NBA.

I remember Mark Rydalch being pretty deadly from beyond the arc.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I used to play pick up with Lance (I'm sure you did too). He truly believed he was a member of this silky J club.
    Yeah, he was on my pickup team in the Milcreek league (this would have been after he left the Utes and before he joined Weber). He wanted to be a point guard, bring the ball up court, and launch 30 footers. It was so frustrating to see a legit 7''0 guy NOT dominate a rec league in Milcreek. We actually stopped calling him to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Johnny Bryant was a 3 point assassin. He went on to be a jumpshot whisperer in the NBA.

I remember Mark Rydalch being pretty deadly from beyond the arc.
    Rydalch is a good one (Craig was a decent shooter as well). Johnnie Bryant could do a lot of other things well, but he was a shooter for sure.

BTW, you can now add Parker Van Dyke to the long list of players-applejack-thought-would-be-a-bust-but-turned-out-to-be-quite-good-or-a-first-round-draft-pick.

I liked Lance, although I wish he could have used his time at the U a bit better.

I also may or may not have made out with his sister.

For each of the past 20 years, here's the player who relied on 3 pointers for the largest percentage of his points:

98-99: Jeremy Killion, 62% of his points from behind the line

99-00: Phil Cullen, 52% (trent whiting higher, but he only played in 5 games)

00-01: Phil Cullen, 58% (Trace Caton close 2nd with 55%)

01-02: Phil Cullen, 66% (Trace at 56%, Nick Jacobson at 55%)

02-03: Trace Caton, 56% (Nick Jacobson at 55%)

03-04: Josh Olsen, 75% (Nick Jacobson at, once again, 55%)

04-05: Tim Drisdom, 50%

05-06: Shaun Green, 69% (Johnnie Bryant at 54%)

06-07: Johnnie Bryant, 58% (Shaun Green at 57%)

07-08: Shaun Green, 64% (Bryant at 57%)

08-09: Shaun Green, 64% (Lawrence Borha at 52%, Jordan Cyphers at 55% but only 22 games played)

09-10: Marshall Henderson, 55%

10-11: Chris Hines, 63%

11-12: Chris Hines, 71% (Cedric Martin at 64%)

12-13: Glen Dean, 58% (Brandon Taylor at 51% and Dakarai Tucker at 50% in limited minutes)

13-14: Dakarai Tucker, 63% (Brandon Taylor at 55%, Kenneth Ogbe at 55% in limited minutes)

14-15: Brandon Taylor, 66% (Jordan Loveridge at 58%, Dakarai Tucker at 54%, Isaiah Wright at 61% in limited minutes)

15-16: Dakarai Tucker, 70% (Loveridge at 65%, Taylor 55%, Wright 59% limited minutes)

15-17: PVD, 63% (Gabe Bealer at 62%)

17-18: Gabe Bealer, 77% (PVD at 66%, Justin Bibbins at 54%, Ty Rawson at 50%, Caldwell at 55% in limited minutes)
    Last edited by sancho; 02-15-2019 at 10:15 AM.

For each of the past 20 years, here's the player who relied on 3 pointers for the largest percentage of his points:

98-99: Jeremy Killion, 62% of his points from behind the line

99-00: Phil Cullen, 52% (trent whiting higher, but he only played in 5 games)

00-01: Phil Cullen, 58% (Trace Caton close 2nd with 55%)

01-02: Phil Cullen, 66% (Trace at 56%, Nick Jacobson at 55%)

02-03: Trace Caton, 56% (Nick Jacobson at 55%)

03-04: Josh Olsen, 75% (Nick Jacobson at, once again, 55%)

04-05: Tim Drisdom, 50%

05-06: Shaun Green, 69% (Johnnie Bryant at 54%)

06-07: Johnnie Bryant, 58% (Shaun Green at 57%)

07-08: Shaun Green, 64% (Bryant at 57%)

08-09: Shaun Green, 64% (Lawrence Borha at 52%, Jordan Cyphers at 55% but only 22 games played)

09-10: Marshall Henderson, 55%

10-11: Chris Hines, 63%

11-12: Chris Hines, 71% (Cedric Martin at 64%)

12-13: Glen Dean, 58% (Brandon Taylor at 51% and Dakarai Tucker at 50% in limited minutes)

13-14: Dakarai Tucker, 63% (Brandon Taylor at 55%, Kenneth Ogbe at 55% in limited minutes)

14-15: Brandon Taylor, 66% (Jordan Loveridge at 58%, Dakarai Tucker at 54%, Isaiah Wright at 61% in limited minutes)

15-16: Dakarai Tucker, 70% (Loveridge at 65%, Taylor 55%, Wright 59% limited minutes)

15-17: PVD, 63% (Gabe Bealer at 62%)

17-18: Gabe Bealer, 77% (PVD at 66%, Justin Bibbins at 54%, Ty Rawson at 50%, Caldwell at 55% in limited minutes)
    LOL @ Boylen. Chris Hines? GTFO.

There shall be no more mention of Chris Hines in this thread about pure shooters.

It's interesting to see the change in basketball in that data. For the first 15 years, the team had 1-2 players who scored most of their points from distance. Now, the team has 3-5 each year. I think that's more of a basketball thing than a Larry thing.

It's interesting to see the change in basketball in that data. For the first 15 years, the team had 1-2 players who scored most of their points from distance. Now, the team has 3-5 each year. I think that's more of a basketball thing than a Larry thing.
    It is a basketball thing. And, like all true exemplary innovations, the 3-point revolution seems, in hindsight, to be so obvious.

BTW, you can now add Parker Van Dyke to the long list of players-applejack-thought-would-be-a-bust-but-turned-out-to-be-quite-good-or-a-first-round-draft-pick.
    Humble kid, and playing at the U was always a dream for him. Is a great ambassador for the program. Funny to see people taking pics with him after his UCLA heroics.....like some kind of movie star.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Its fun to watch slo-mo video of him shooting. Beautiful stroke.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Here are 3 point record holders from the media guide. Chris Fulton is a name I wouldn't have thought of. The 3 point line was still relatively new when he played. He didn't shoot a lot of them, but I remember him being deadly from out there (and being a little, um. . . un-athletic. . . for a college athlete).

Utah 3 Point Stat Leaders.JPG
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Here are 3 point record holders from the media guide. Chris Fulton is a name I wouldn't have thought of. The 3 point line was still relatively new when he played. He didn't shoot a lot of them, but I remember him being deadly from out there (and being a little, um. . . un-athletic. . . for a college athlete).

Utah 3 Point Stat Leaders.JPG
    Pvd is not going to approach top ten in anything (his career fg% is, ahem, not great). I guess he could sneak into fga or fgm if he keeps shooting like he has lately and we make a deep run in the pac12 tourney.